1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to HD, will I get SWM gear? Other questions too.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by goony, Jun 17, 2011.

1. goony

goony New Member

May 31, 2011
    I'm a long time D* customer... and I've been in Rip-Van-Winkle mode when it comes to DirecTV HD - I've never paid much attention to it until now.

I'm making the massive jump from ancient gear (single round dish pointed to one bird, 3 SD dual-tuner DTivos) to HD, with the following in mind:

1) None of my existing "legacy" dish and wiring will be used for any new HD gear; if it is HD it will be on a new separate dish and will have its own new RG6 cabling.

2)
    I will be starting out with a single new HD DVR; others will be added in the future - when I turn off a DTivo, I will replace it with an HD-DVR and an HD TV.

3) I will pre-install a pole near my existing dish so the new multi-LNB dish can be mounted on it by the installer.

4) I am going to do all of the wire pulls so that all the installer has to do is terminate the ends and install the dish and receiver(s). Where the RG6 comes into my basement will be a location with a power receptacle for any SWM power insertion.

5) My programming is currently just a "plus" type of package; I get no special sports packages, foreign language, etc. I'm not up to speed on current D* transponder mappings to know how many birds my dish will need to see. Added: I do have locals for CMH (Columbus, Ohio)

Comment: I'll somewhat miss my DTivos; they've been "Zippered" (enhanced) and I have secure remote access to the web interface of each one of them from the internet. I guess as long as I can schedule a recording remotely on my new HD DVR I'll be happy.

Now, my questions:

Q1) Since I am looking at (eventually) three HD sets, should I start out with a WHDVR setup instead of doing individual HD DVRs? I am going to do some homework on WHDVR to see if that has any features that I would want.

Q2) Is it likely that I will get a SWM dish? I'd sure like to run a single RG6 into the house instead of multiple RG6 for a non-SWM dish.

Q3) What kind of dish will they likely install? One of these, likely.

Q4) What size of pole should I pre-install? Maybe that depends on the answer to Q3?

Q5)
    If I don't go with WHDVR, is there any way to tell what HD DVR that I might get as my first one?

Thanks! :)

Goony

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Whole home is easily added, and if you get Hx24 units, its already built in.

Likely you will get a SWM dish if you do not have any legacy boxes you want to keep.

Slimline 5 if you have SD locals now on satellite 119. Slimline 3 if you dont. Same dish, different LNB

I believe the slimline uses 2" OD pipe (verify with someone else). I do know it is only available at muffler shops, and certain specialty places, as most common 2" pipe is 2" ID. Think I have that right.

Does not matter if you go whole home or not. There is no way to tell what DVR you will get, period. If you want the latest, you will need to order if from Solidsignal.com or Amazon (HR24 DVR, or H24 receiver). And after using all the boxes, I would highly recommend doing that. You will be MUCH happier in the long run, even if it costs you $199 lease fee up front vs the "free but take what we give you" method.

3. goony

goony New Member

May 31, 2011
    Yep, per my added link to Q3 above - 2 inch OD.

Thank you for the prompt reply!

Goony

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    With regard to SWM, I can't remember if the policy changed, but if you have 1 to 4 tuners, you do not get a SWM install. Five or more tuners gets you a SWM install. If you order WHDVR, that automatically gets you a SWM install.

One of the installers here could better answer what the current rule is on what type of install is performed.

- Merg

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Okay, here are some issues to be aware of:

- In order to get WHDVR, you MUST have SWM equipment. This means you CANNOT keep your old TiVos active unless you choose to keep them on the same dish and connections that they are already on today. You will get a SWM LNB, not an external SWM switch.

- If you do not order WHDVR, you will NOT get SWM equipment; you'll get legacy equipment and will need to run 2 lines per DVR, and will NOT be able to do WHDVR unless you use your own Ethernet network to do so.

- 2" OD pole is correct. There is only one dish, the Slimline, for all HD installs (AK and HI excepted), and it requires a 2" OD pole. A muffler shop is the easist source. Dig it deep, use plenty of concrete, and you MUST use some kind of anti-spin feature on the pole. The best way is to drill a hole and run a long bolt through the pipe, in the area that will be encased in concrete. Other methods are flattening the pole (not at the very bottom, but the area where it will be in concrete) or using a muffler clamp. Make sure it is plumb (level in both directions), and that you have clear LOS (line of sight) to the sats from that location. http://www.dishpointer.com

- As others have mentioned, you'll get the best deals by ordering directly from DirecTV, but you have no control over what models of receiver you'll get. If you want a specific receiver, you'll need to order directly from a retailer, which generally means no discounts.

6. DMRI2006

DMRI2006 Godfather

Jun 13, 2006
    As others have said, you have no control. Last week D* offered me a free HD DVR upgrade and shipped me a refurbed HR21-700 which was absolute garbage and made so much noise I could hear it running in the back of the room. Since I had a (free) service call scheduled to run a second line to the box anyway (I didn't have SWM at the time), I called D* and complained that the HR21 they sent me was junk. They made a note for the tech who was coming to look at it. He took my word for it that it was bad and just replaced it with a brand-new H24-100 after he installed SWM on my system, and the difference between the HR21 and the HR24 is just insane. Faster, quieter -- not even a comparison.

My other HD DVR is an HR22 which isn't nearly as fast as the HR24 but I can live with it since at least it's quiet (unlike the HR21) and it's dependable. That one, again, a tech had brought last year and it was also brand new at the time.

I guess my advice is if they offer you upgrades to your equipment (which if you call them they likely will as you are a long-time sub like me), I'd have the tech bring the box(es) themselves. Don't have D* ship directly to you -- even though it sounds easier and more convenient, I think you run a higher risk of getting older boxes. At least in my recent case it was the difference between getting a new HR24 (which you want) and a refurb HR21 (which you don't ;)s

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Just a note:

A DirecTV HD-DVR model is actually designated as HR2X-XXX. H2X-XXX model numbers are for non-DVR set-top-box receivers.

8. DMRI2006

DMRI2006 Godfather

Jun 13, 2006
    fixed my post

9. jackal24

jackal24 AllStar

Nov 18, 2008
    [QUOTE="BattleZone"

- If you do not order WHDVR, you will NOT get SWM equipment; you'll get legacy equipment [/QUOTE]

To the installers out there: is this something a few dead presidents might be able to change? Or is it something decided by d*? I am not getting a Dvr, but want swm for my ability to easily move stuff around, add cable runs, etc.

10. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    What you get is determined by the system based on what you order. Installers get issued supplies based on the orders. It is possible that you might be able to change a non-SWM install to an SWM install on the spot, but don't count on it.

You can order an SWM LNB assembly on-line ahead of time and have it available, or after the fact and convert your system if necessary. Get the installers phone number and work with him to help if you need to make the change after install and need help.

11. liquidctv

liquidctv Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    If you are an "existing" DTV customer, do yourself a favor.

Ask for multi-room (aka whole-home) service. This will guarantee SWM. It may cost $100 extra. You will need at least 1 HDDVR and 1 HD, or 2xHDDVR.

It is already likely that you would get SWM, but those crap Tivos on the account could nix the deal. Jettison them, or ask for whole-home.

You will need 2" pipe - Home Depot doesn't carry it - and a concrete base with "anti-spin" measures, such as drilling sideways and inserting bolts.

Best I got from a fence place was 1-7/8", which was still a nightmare.

12. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    A few months ago, it was stated that if you ordered SWiM, DirecTV perferred to send you hardware with SWiM on board. In other words, you were more likely to get an HR24 or H24. Is that still the case? Is this only for new customers?

I ask because because my anniversary is in October and I want to add a DVR and get off of my Ethernet-based, unsupported WHDVR set-up. I want to add SWiM.

13. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    You can't order SWM but if you order WHDVR they have to install SWM.

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    SWM isn't built into the HR24, DECA is. The 24 (along with all the other HD boxes, R16 and 22) support SWM.

When I added MRV, they replaced my LNB on the dish to add SWM functionality. That's the normal way of doing it, depending on the number of tuners you have.

15. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    No. SWM equipment is more expensive, and equipment is tracked very tightly. If the tech uses equipment not listed on the work order, he will be charged for that equipment, so few techs will take the chance.

The order computer decides what kind of equipment you will get, based on what you already have and what you will be getting, receiver and programming-wise. Neither CSRs or techs can override this unless you change what you order receiver or programming-wise.

16. goony

goony New Member

May 31, 2011
    In my base post, I mention that the existing DTivos will keep their current dish... new HD gear goes on its own dish.

I've pretty much decided to go with WHDVR; I hope they will do SWM gear even though my initial order will have only one HD active... over the next year, I will move from the SD TV+DTivo to HD TVs; they might as well start with SWM.

Thanks,

Goony

17. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Keeping the DTivos active, even on a seperate dish will prevent you from getting a swm setup. The account system is not setup to deal with the minute number of customers who want to do want you want.

Not going to argue with all the trolls that will be following shortly about how its wrong, should be changed, blah, blah, blah. The system is what it is, and it's not changing any time soon.

So, to get swm, the DTivos have to go. It's that simple.

18. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You own the Tivo's, so simply deactivate them for a week or two, and after you get your new equipment installed and activated you can reactivate them.

Also you must have at least one HD DVR and one HD receiver in order to order whole-home. You can't order it (or anything else) to support future expectations.

19. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    In order to get WHDVR, you need a HD-DVR and HD receiver on your order. WHDVR will guarantee you a SWM install. If your new order is only going to be a HD-DVR, you will not get SWM.

- Merg

20. jackal24

jackal24 AllStar

Nov 18, 2008
    It was an SWM install with 2 H24s.