1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to OTA HD - Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by WhoDey, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhoDey

WhoDey New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    I am in Dayton, OH. I pick up channels 2 (NBC) and 7 (CBS) no problem in HD. I can't seem to get FOX or ABC, and they are almost in the exact same physical location in Dayton.

I have a CM 4228 antenna.

Do I have a hook-up issue?

We are by an airport, but still less then 15 miles from the tower.

Thanks

2. Proc

Proc Godfather

Jan 19, 2006
    Which receiver are you hooking the antenna up to? I used to have problems with OTA with the H10 (and I am about the same distance from the towers too, but north of you in Detroit), but not with the H20, which is very good for OTA.

3. WhoDey

WhoDey New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Yes, I have the H10...
    The cable is going into a diplex???? with the other feed coming off the satelite. I have one cable not going anywhere from the satelite

4. Proc

Proc Godfather

Jan 19, 2006
    When I had the H10, the installer originally had the antenna diplexed before the coax went into the house. Once I removed the diplexers and ran the antenna directly into the H10 (I ran it inside the house into a grounding strip, then to the TV), then the OTA signals were fine.

Get rid of the diplexer and you will see a marked difference.

I will still say though, the H20 is a far superior OTA receiver than the H10.

5. mssturgeon

mssturgeon AllStar

Dec 8, 2004
    Does your set have a built-in digital tuner? If so you may want to temporarily bypass your H10 and go direct to your TV just to see if the H10 is, in fact, the issue.

- Shane (fellow Daytonian and Bengal fan)

6. WhoDey

WhoDey New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Thanks, I will try going direct. It's weird that I can pick up numerous channels inside with simple rabbit ears, yet nothing with this outside large antenna.

7. TVSaurus

TVSaurus Mentor

Dec 2, 2005
    I am using a 4228 and H10 also and have found the H10 has a weaker signal than if I were to bypass the H10 directly to my TV. Sometimes I can watch a direct signal and receive nothing via the H10. So I also recommend bypassing the D* receiver and checking it that way also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.