1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to sat tv

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by shoeler, Jul 14, 2012.

1. shoeler

shoeler New Member

Jul 14, 2012
    I have always had cable and with an upcoming move we are switching to sat tv. It seems like more folks are happy with dish vs direct tv so we are thinking of going with dish.

What are some things I want to keep in mind or mistakes you may have learned when you were new? BTW I will probably have 2-3 HD tv's in the house.

I am looking at the 250 package for $39.99, I started to go through the order process online and all the sudden there is a price jump to $69.99 with a discount of $15. That doesn't seem like $40?? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

2. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Is this the page you were looking at?

http://www.dish.com/dishdeals/summe...tg_dish_car1s_0712_summersalesevent_spongebob

3. shoeler

shoeler New Member

Jul 14, 2012
    This is where I am looking, top 250 for $39.99

dish.com/entertainment/packages/

4. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Dish has chosen to give you rebates in 2 steps.

Step #1 is the $15 you noted, and is automatic with sign up and that is why it shows the price with that discount.

Step #2 is another $15 for that package, but you have to sign up for it after the install.

If you look at the programming part of the build pages you'll see that.

5. shoeler

shoeler New Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Now I see what your talking about, thanks!

Let's say I buy another TV down the road for another room. Would I have to pay for an additional Joey at that time? In other words if I am considering buying another tv now should I get an additional Joey at the time of signing up since it appears free other than the monthly fee?

6. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

OK and that page changed on you when you were ordering? try to order from the page I posted and if it changes there must be a bug because the offer says it's good until July 31th.

Hopefully DIRT will see this and respond.:)

If not you can call DISH directly to order tell them what you want and accept nothing less OK? Good Luck!:)

7. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    In general it is best to get all you want when you sign up, that will always be the best deal you'll get. And as you noted, you can get the Joeys free then (up to 3).

But sometimes you can get a decent deal later, but it will restart a 2 year agreement.

8. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

This advice the the best advice anyone can tell you here.Always get everything you need with your original installation otherwise it will cost you later on.Your only a new customer once when your applying for service so get everything you think you'll need,otherwise you will have to leave DISH and then come back again at a later date to become a new customer with all the perks.Think the last report was a 3 month break to get the new customer deals again.Good Luck!:)

9. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    The AT 250 package costs $69.00. You're not seeing things.

10. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

$69.99 is the regular price.;)

11. shoeler

shoeler New Member

Jul 14, 2012
    That's pretty much what I assumed, but I wanted to verify that.

I assume that if I go ahead and get an extra Joey, even though I don't have the extra TV, I could then call and have that $7.00 charge taken off the account and then when I get the additional tv call in and have it put back on and attach the Joey to the new TV?

Another concern is that I am setting this up for the family while I am away(ARMY). Since I am unfamiliar with the setup of the Hopper/Joey system, if I get everything ordered and the technician shows up to install it with my wife there I assume that they would have to select a location in the house for that extra tv and we would probably be locked into the spot? In other words is the joey linked to a cable in the wall that will be fixed, or can we change the layout?

12. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    You will have to leave the Joey active. If it's deactivated, you'll be required to send it back. Also, yeah, you are normally locked into the certain rooms, but, anyone with a fair to middling knowledge of running coax can reroute the Joeys. Hopper'd be a different story. It really helps if your home is pre-wired.

13. dakeeney

dakeeney Legend

Aug 29, 2004
    I was with Dish up until 1/2012 when I made the mistake of going with DT. If you like sports and that junk DT is ok.....I don't care anything about sports, plus DT is s-l-o-w about getting basic HD channels. I went ahead a paid a couple of bills to end my contract with them and came back to Dish and couldn't be happier. I got the Hopper and one Joey and so far everything works like a charm. Even if Charlie does pull channels so what. Sign up!

14. levibluewa

levibluewa Icon

Aug 13, 2005
    WA, OR, CA
    Directv is missing 15+ Viacom channels at the moment...Did Charlie move to Directv?

15. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    One last bit of important info that hasn't really been mentioned yet.

Dont let the tech leave until everything is satisfactory, meaning all the remotes work there proper joey and hopefully tv. Keep in my Dish remotes are not garaunteed to work every tv (volume, turning it on/off, input switching) the techs usually do a "power scan" through most codes so if they dont pick up a code that works chances are the remote wont take to that tv.

But anyway back to what I was saying, dont let them leave until everything is the way you want and you are sure the picture quality and signal is peaked, flip through some channels and watch it for a bit before the tech leaves.

Once the tech is gone thats it, you're a customer for the next 2 years and your contract is locked in. Theres no waiting or vesting period at all and the contract stands once the tech leaves.

As everyone said get everything you want right off the bat thats when its at its cheapest.

16. shoeler

shoeler New Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Thanks for the great tips and information!