1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New/TV Surround sound Question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Audio' started by fingerstyle, Jun 30, 2012.

1. fingerstyle

fingerstyle Mentor

Jan 22, 2008
    My current TV is a big old ( 7+years) projection set. It is hooked to my surround sound system. The sound is OK but not great and I wonder if that's due in part to the "sound processing stuff" in the TV.

I'm replace this TV soon-will the new TV with new technology have a difference or is the audio signal just passed through?

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Try connecting your sound system directly to your receiver and see if there is an improvement/change in the quality.

3. fingerstyle

fingerstyle Mentor

Jan 22, 2008
    Thanks for the quick response but I'm not sure what you mean. I have the audio outputs from the TV going directly to the receiver.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Connect the audio from your DirecTV receiver to your a/v receiver.

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007

6. fingerstyle

fingerstyle Mentor

Jan 22, 2008
    Tried that...The sound is better going directly from DTV box to Audio receiver but I lose the ability to control volume with the DTV remote and because of the configuration of the room the audio receiver is behind me.

Still wondering if a new TV will effect the quality of sound.

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I doubt it, but you as others alluded to, using the sound out from your TV is a bad idea to begin with. Spend $50 - $100 and get a universal remote.

8. John Williams

John Williams Legend

Oct 5, 2011
    As a rule of thumb, you do NOT connect the audio out from the TV to your audio surround receiver. The only exception to this is for built in apps and/or tuner being used in the TV.
    Bad things usually happen to the audio signal trying to route it this way.

As far as control. If you have a TV, audio amp, and a source component (i.e. cable, sat, DVD, etc...). Then a universal remote is a given! You are shooting yourself in the foot without one. Case in point: trying to hook things up in a detrimental manner to performnace, just to make a silly DirecTV remote work everything.

9. John Williams

John Williams Legend

Oct 5, 2011
    As a side note (and I know it's because your original question had nothing to do with it): You haven't really told us anything about your setup. Being this is obviously a very DIY setup, I'm concerned you have a lot more wrong in your setup than just the above.
    If you want some professional advice on the whole setup, just post everything. Everything being what equipment is being used, it's location, and how it's hooked up.

10. fingerstyle

fingerstyle Mentor

Jan 22, 2008
    Thanks to all...I went back again and hooked the Audio receiver directly to the HR 20 DTV box. Big difference in sound. Today I will try using an A/B box to see if I can tie in the DVD player. The audio receiver is a Sony..the DTV remote works the box/tv/receiver-what else would I need?

11. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Is the Sony a STEREO or Audio/Video (A/V) receiver? You said 'surround' so assume it's an AV receiver.
    A/V receivers generally have places to connect up DVD players so your switching is done via the receiver. There would be a single video output to the TV.

If you don't want a universal remote, you could consider a IR extender for the receiver. It would move the IR input to somewhere in front or near you.

12. fingerstyle

fingerstyle Mentor

Jan 22, 2008
    Yes sorry Sony AV . Because of room configuration TV and receiver aren't near each other. All wiring goes infer the floor and back up to receiver on other side of room. A/B box seems to be the solution

13. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Can't you put the DVD player back by the receiver?

As to what else you would need, a universal remote would allow you to access the DVD player as well (and anything else you own).

14. fingerstyle

fingerstyle Mentor

Jan 22, 2008
    I could move it but that would mean running video lines back to the TV. I have an A/B box That should work

15. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    So, the directv receiver, TV, and DVD player are together, but your AV Receiver is across the room?

16. fingerstyle

fingerstyle Mentor

Jan 22, 2008
    Yes. Had to be done that way.

17. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    From the conversation so far, it appears you have an A/V receiver that is not located by the TV and other equipment. That is giving you trouble from the get-bo.
    Also, you've been asked to list your equipment. As previously stated, make and model number is what we're asking you for. That helps us give informed answers to your questions.
    Ideally, with a home theater system,all components should be located together, with the obvious exceptions of speakers and a projector. If your receiver is located across the room from the rest of your system, you are forced to use long cables, which degrade sound and/or video quality.
    Start over again, listing all your components.

18. fingerstyle

fingerstyle Mentor

Jan 22, 2008
    Yup I get the long cables mean loss of signal part but for several reasons putting the receiver ( and other stuff like CD player turntable) on the other side of the room was the only way to do this and have anything at all..

All I am looking for is the best sound I can get with what I am dealing with.

The DTV box is an HR20-700, Receiver is Sony STR-DE898- As I said the TV is being replaced soon but I do not know what it will be. Speakers are Polk Audio except for Sub Woofer

Using an A?B box to switch between TV and DVD is not a problem

19. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    What cables do you currently have going from the back of the room to the front of the room?

20. fingerstyle

fingerstyle Mentor

Jan 22, 2008
    Coax .......