1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New type of Spam

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Davenlr, May 2, 2012.

1. May 2, 2012 #1 of 13
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Ive been getting lots of spam lately. It somehow tricks Thunderbird (and apparently the ISP's spam filtering) by substituting high ascii characters such as these:
    and also tricks the email program into giving a bogus return address.

I have been unable to figure out how to get rid of this crap.

Anyone else have any luck?

2. May 2, 2012 #2 of 13
    kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    A couple of my email accounts have word/phrase filters, I've been able to manage it that way.

3. May 2, 2012 #3 of 13
    maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    I have seen this for years...

V|âgra

:D

4. May 2, 2012 #4 of 13
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I filter my Comcast mail by sending it through g-mail.

5. May 2, 2012 #5 of 13
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    In this case, its actually forwarded mail from Yahoo to my comcast email address.

When I check the headers, the FROM: and TO: are all scrambled, and creating a filter using those fields is pretty much ineffective.

I have started just adding all the domains they are coming from as a filter, but some domains are pretty popular, so assuming the spammer lost their account, it makes filtering one hit/run incident hard.

What I dont understand, is why are they bothering? Surely no one is going to fall for that crap when its so obvious its spam.

6. May 2, 2012 #6 of 13
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I said the same thing about Nigerian princes etc. They need a ridiculously small percentage to fall for it to make a profit.

7. May 2, 2012 #7 of 13
    Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I use Superantispyware, Malwarebytes, Uniblue Registry Booster, McAfee Security Scan Plus and Windows Security Essentials as security software in addition to sticking with Gmail as my email client. The frequent automatic scans that occur can be a bit of a bother at times, but I've yet to have a problem. Gmail's spam filter is very good.

8. May 3, 2012 #8 of 13
    dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I just won the New Zealand lottery. All I have to do is call and give them my banking information so they can deposit the $1,000,000.00 that I won.

9. May 3, 2012 #9 of 13
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Congrats!
    When you get the dough, you can purchase a share of the $58,000,000 some childless diplomat has left me—out of the blue, can you believe my luck!!— as soon as I can send the expediter $150,000 to pay some taxes in Usponnaland to free up the estate. So, you send me $75,000 and you'll get $29,000,000. Fair enough??

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This is a long, long-standing method of obscuring spam.

There are no simple rules for identifying it. Some programs that do identify it are looking specifically for what language the message is in and whether the character set is appropriate to that language.

If you need a comprehensive spam filter, don't reinvent the wheel. Try SpamAssassin or one of the products from the antivirus companies. If that doesn't work or looks to complicated, consider a spam filtering service like Google's Postini.

11. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Did you notice that these guys always include the zero cents after the decimal point?

Does that really make a difference?

MSN, Gmail, and Verizon all seem to be able to get virtually all my spam messages transferred to my Junk account.

12. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I have always thought the same about Rachel and her friends who constantly call. Do you really think that calling me or spamming me over and over is going to make me want to do business with you?

13. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    :jumpingja:jumpingja
    I am also a Nigerian winner several times over.

I guess I'm an internet millionaire! :jumpingja