1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Upgrade That didn't Happen

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by tnt755, Aug 26, 2013.

1. tnt755

tnt755 New Member

Aug 26, 2013
    North Dakota
    Upgrading to genie system and two clients form current system of 1 HR22-100 and 2 H21-200's. After trying supposedly different ways to get around the problem the installer said the Rg 59 that is run in our house will not work with the upgraded system. We would need to rewire with RG 6. Is this correct info.

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    What the installer offered is probably not an accurate assessment.

RG59 between the Genie and the Genie Minis should work assuming it is in good condition. It is the run between the SWMLine dish and the Genie that must be RG6 (and even then, RG59 might work).

In either case, it is the installers responsibility to make the install happen even if it requires all new wiring. Unless you demand special wall or attic fishing, this should not cost extra and you shouldn't be expected to do it.

3. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    That sounds like an excuse. It is possible but if your old system was running on the existing wiring then there is no reason the new one would not. One of the design goals of SWM was to have the ability to use the huge installed base of in house wiring which until just recently was almost exclusively RG59

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Unless the individual runs are exceptionally long. No.

Did you have whole home before? If yes, were green splitters used?

5. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    This doesn't make sense, since your current receivers are running over the RG59, correct? I don't see why adding a Genie would make the RG59 suddenly become an issue.

He's probably run into a problem he doesn't understand and blamed the RG59 to avoid having to spend a lot of time troubleshooting it.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    DId he even install anything, or just look at it and walk away? If its working fine now it will also likely with a full genie system.

Can you tell us if you have two coax wires to the back of your current dvr or just one?

Either way he should be able to install it all and make it work.

7. tnt755

tnt755 New Member

Aug 26, 2013
    North Dakota
    I questioned him that didn't make sense to me that current coax would not work.

There are two wires running to back of DVR

Current system runs great just wanted whole home system and am eligible for free upgrade

He didn't install anything said genie wouldn't recognize signal talked to supervisor and from what I understood he said same thing in house wiring needed to be changed and they could come back and finish

TV in kitchen is right above utility room easy change of wire other two are probably 25' and 40' away in finished basement might be challenge

I suppose i could put genie in kitchen where wire should be easy to upgrade then use current RG59 wires if they work

8. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Sounds like he didn't know how to setup SWM - The SW stands for single wire.

9. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    in all fairness to the tech, he's responsible for this job for 90 days and can lose money if something fails. he might not get paid if it fails QC (it will fail). while technically speaking the system should work, there are "business" (reason for lack of a better word) reasons that prohibits the tech from using RG59

10. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    That's not going to provide a very good customer experience for someone who has a working install on RG59 and really doesn't give a damn if the installer's incentives cause them to provide worse service. If you care about customers you don't give your employees/contractors incentives that run counter to providing good customer service. This is rather like the companies that measure their phone support people by the number of calls they deal with per hour, so if you have a complicated problem they put you on hold and "accidentally" hang up because they can't afford to spend the time required to understand and solve your problem.

I thought one of the design goals of SWM was that it could work with existing house wiring in more cases than legacy installs? Would what you say apply only if he was getting upgraded from legacy to SWM, or could it happen even if he already had SWM and the 'install' consisted of nothing more than adding or replacing a receiver/DVR? I sure would be pissed if my equipment failed and I was told it couldn't be replaced unless I agreed to let him rewire my house!

11. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well, you can be pissed all you want, but obviously this does not affect the majority of customers. Same applies to IV, there are a few customers that have decent LOS but not enough to pass IV and no other place to "relo" the dish. These customers are "stuck" with what they have as they can't no longer get upgrades and at worse can't get service either. there is much more to gain by having this policy in place than by not having.

12. tnt755

tnt755 New Member

Aug 26, 2013
    North Dakota
    Just got off phone with direct tv supervisor he told me HAS to be RG 6 wire and if it does work with RG 59 it will experience intermittent problems. So now what do I believe!!!

13. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Just got off phone with direct tv supervisor he told me HAS to be RG 6 wire and if it does work with RG 59 it will experience intermittent problems. So now what do I believe!!!
    that they are unwilling to not follow protocol and unwilling to take a chance that you will have issues. If they are willing to rewire it then let them. It won't hurt. How long are your runs anyway?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

14. tnt755

tnt755 New Member

Aug 26, 2013
    North Dakota
    They won't fish wire through finished basement ceiling so I would have to do it or hire it done. The runs from basement utility room are approximately 6' to kitchen 30' to man cave where i would put genie and 45' to master bedroom. Where dish is would add 30' to get to utility room.

15. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I know that this is not the answer that you want to hear. But, depending on how much it will cost to rewire your house, your best bet may be to get the Genie from Solid Signal and do the install yourself, with your existing wires.

16. Tisby

Tisby AllStar

Jun 4, 2010
    Until the tech shows up for a service or upgrade in the future, sees the 59. Calls supervisor who looks up the account info, sees you were told to rewire, did the upgrade yourself without rewiring & now want them to fix or add on to it. While customer service may be suffering here, the gun to the head of the installers isn't helping either. :hair:

17. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I know that this is not the answer that you want to hear. But, depending on how much it will cost to rewire your house, your best bet may be to get the Genie from Solid Signal and do the install yourself, with your existing wires.

I'd probably do this if you can't get a supervisor high enough up to agree to install it, which I don't think you will to be honest.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

18. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Things you can do -
    1. continue to enjoy your current service
    2. get Rg6-(or have D*) install temp to your locations run around the walls exposed -where your unable to fish - re-installing your-self or having it done at a latter time.
    3. Change service providers

Additional problem for the install fail - Upgrade pay $15 for the job - Time min 2 hrs not counting unpaid drive time to location - main reason for walking away had another 8 stops for the day after you (Bad) Business model

19. tnt755

tnt755 New Member

Aug 26, 2013
    North Dakota
    Leaning to #3 does anyone know if rg59 works with dish hopper system or am I going to be fighting same thing with dish. I think I can fish wire through house so that may be option. Or enjoy current system until wireless becomes available.

20. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Dish has the same requirement - It just depends on the installer if they choose to use existing inside wire - D* nor Dish installer are Not allowed to carry any RG59 Connectors.

You could also wait a couple of months and try the upgrade again - with D*