1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New User Questions on H3

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Supramom2000, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Greetings everyone! I am a brand new Dish client after almost 10 years of DTV. So I have a few questions that I could not find answers to anywhere else. I apologize if I missed them somewhere.

1. Is there a Quicktune function like Direct TV has?
    2. Is there a way to have my live TV buffer while I watch a recording? Or do I have to press record on whatever channel I am on?
    3. Is there a delete button of some sort on the remote, so I don't have to delve into the menu to delete?
    4. How do you (can you) swap between live tuners?

Thank you in advance for any and all help!

2. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Never had DirecTV, so I have no idea what the "Quicktune" function does.

Presuming it's the same with the H3, there are two independent 1-hour buffers. Once a buffer becomes full the receiver will begin dropping the oldest buffered material in favor of adding the most current live material. If a buffer was paused when it becomes full, the receiver will unpause the buffer and begin playback. When this happens it will not change focus to the unpaused buffer, it does it silently in the background.

To answer your question; pause the live channel, switch to the other buffer with the Swap button and start playback of the recording. Sometimes I use both buffers on live channels and alternate between them to chase live TV and skip commercials on both channels. This allows one buffer to refill while you watch from the other buffer. If you need more than 1-hour it would be better to record the event instead of using the buffer. Again, this presumes it's the same with the H3.

There is a delete (blue) button on the v40 remote.

There is a Swap button on the v40 remote.

Suggest you get a v40 remote. The v50 and v52 remotes were designed for people that don't want
    quick and easy access to functions through unsightly buttons. ;)

3. Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Thanks for the help! I don't have a Swap button on the remotes we received, so I don't know how to swap with the 52. Quicktune was a function where you pressed one button (the arrow up) and your favorite 6 channels would pop up allowing you to switch to one of those channels immediately.

4. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Input button on the side of the 52 remote is the PIP (buffer) swap.

5. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    One more thing, press the Home button and you will see a row of your favorite channels with selectable icons showing what is on now. That would replace your DirecTV favorite option. It's a new feature on the Hopper3 and Carbon interface that most Dish users haven't seen before, as is true with the other options on the Home screen.

Supramom2000 likes this.
  6. Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    That sounds like exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk