1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

new year predictions for dish network for 2014

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by bluegras, Dec 30, 2013.

1. bluegras

bluegras Godfather

Jan 31, 2008
    what are your predictions for dish network for 2014?for me new apps for the hopper.

Allen

2. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    At some point they will see roughly a $110 decrease in revenue from Huntington, Indiana.

3. clotter

clotter AllStar

Apr 12, 2008
    Thanks for the laugh, I was thinking the same thing when I saw rumblings of another rate increase!

4. epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    MLB Extra Innings becomes available. Doesn't hurt to daydream.

5. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    Dish finally resolves the nearly 4 year long Disney/ESPN dispute but before they resolve it, the channels owned by Disney/ESPN goes dark.

6. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    My prediction is that my bill will go up.

7. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    There will be more retranmission disputes. Dish will try to end them by buying Aereo and integrating it into receivers.

8. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    All of the above, I am sure. :). Charlie said back in probably 2006 that he figured by 2014 about everything that broadcasts in HD would be on Dish in HD, so there would be very little SD. We do have a lot of HD, but there are still channels that broadcast in HD, that Dish still has in SD. TV Land, Disney (dispute), as well as the super stations, and I think a couple of the Encores are now in HD.I am sure there are others too. ION is in SD on Dish, yet in the local paks it is in HD often in different markets. But of course Dish may not have the available bandwidth to have everything available in HD. Direct has a few channels that Dish doesn't have too. But I think over all, Dish has more channels that Direct does not have.

Patrick

9. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    My predictions

Dish will announce at CES the new Hopper with 6 tuners and a built in Roku for streaming Aerial locals. The product is then delayed by a year like most other dish announcements.

Dish gives up on being a phone provider and sells all airwaves in exchange for life long contracts for bundle deals giving dish a high profit

Dish buys Roku and Aerial with money from airwaves sales and starts a real Netflix competitor this time hiring away several of Netflixes executives.

1 person likes this.
  10. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Dish doesn't has TV ONE.

11. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    What is TV One?

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    "Launched on Martin Luther King's birthday in January 2004, TV One is a fast growing cable network that now serves 57 mllion households. Combining hit sitcoms, big studio movies, irrverent reality television and newsworthy specials, TV One delivers real life and entertainment programming from the African American point of view. TV One represents a connection to the authentic, rich, and diverse experience of African American life, history, and culture."
    http://tvone.tv/inside-tv-one/about-tv-one.html

13. tommiet

tommiet Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    Dish will raise equipment fees in June.

14. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I wonder if anyone has requested TV One? It sounds like a good channel. Warner Cable in KC has added CNN International and BBC World. I wish we had both of those.

15. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Tv1 is good, it has a lot of good comedy from the 70,80,90, and 00s
    Directv has it in SD.
    Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

16. SDWC

SDWC AllStar

Dec 14, 2005
    By the end of the year we will be at software release S340 for the Hopper with Sling.

17. bluegras

bluegras Godfather

Jan 31, 2008
    i think we could see the disney Hd channels coming at CES next week what do you guys think?

Allen bluegras

18. bluegras

bluegras Godfather

Jan 31, 2008
    does dish come out with a netflix app for the Hopper DVR?what do you think?

Allen

1 person likes this.
  19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    CES is a technology show ... content itself isn't technology. I suspect we will get the Disney channels due to ABC/ESPN/Disney's skill at extortion negotiation.

DISH will not offer it. That would compete with their own Blockbuster service. DISH wants people to pay them for content, not provide their customers an easy way to pay someone else.

1 person likes this.
  20. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Another Hopper probably without AutoHop, or at least hide it within the menu or searches like Directv does with 30 sec skip and of course more disputes as usual aka scare tactics for more money, and more fee increases, Maybe and that's a big maybe ESPN U,ESPN NEWS in HD with Disney channels, once they both settle their differences.