1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New York WPIX OTA

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by Steve, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Anyone else having an issue with WPIX OTA? I'm about 20 miles NE of the ESB and my signal strength dropped to 25, but I'm seeing mid-90s on CBS, NBC, FOX and ABC. TIA.

2. Yes616

Yes616 Legend

Sep 5, 2006
    How is WNET? For years I knew there were problems between 11 and 13 in NYC and the same channels in Scranton, PA. I complained to the FCC a couple of years ago.

3. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    ABC and WNET were still watchable. As it turns out, I finally got in touch with someone in engineering at WPIX who explained to me that while ABC (VHF 7), NET (13) and PIX (11) were all on the same antenna, PIX transmitted at the lowest power. After checking a few things, the only conclusion I could come to was the recent heat wave here in NY created atmospheric conditions that exposed the fact the Winegard 8-bay antenna in my attic really wasn't suited to pick-up VHF-HI channels. I always knew that, but I already had the antenna and it worked well enough... up to now. When those signals got attenuated last week, I lost the weakest one first, which was PIX.

I was able to solve the problem by buying the proper antenna for my distance and mix of VHF/UHF channels. I ordered a Winegard 7694P from Solid Signal, and it's working like a charm. Except for WWOR, all my signals are now mid-80s to 100, with the VHF channels now in the mid-90s to 100.