1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbe Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by voip4me, Oct 31, 2011.

1. voip4me

voip4me New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Hello all,

I am signing up for DTV tommrow and have a couple of questions I hope the group can help me with.

1. Since I am leasing my equipment, do I need to sign up for the protection plan and if so, why?

2. I will be getting the HR24 DVR and would like to know what video outouts are available ie HDMI, RGB?

Thanks, for taking the time answer my questions.

VIOP4ME

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    THe protection plan covers your dish, wiring, etc in addition to the receivers. If you feel you can peak the dish, or fix a coax, there is not really any need for it.

You will get whatever receiver or DVR they have on their truck when it gets there. No way to tell what model. Most are HR24s now, but not guaranteed. If you want a certain model, you need to order from a local retailer or solidsignal.com.

HDMI, RGB (Component), and Composite. Note that with the new HDGUI, you will not be able to use a HDTV and SDTV connected to the same box, in HD resolution, while still being able to see menus on the SDTV.

3. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Long time member I see with their first post. Welcome!

First off, it's a great community here as I'm sure you know.

Regarding your first question, that is an ongoing debate. I have the PP and feel that it is worth it for the peace of mind. Others disagree because most of the work that the PP provides can be done by yourself if your the DIY type of guy and with the help provided here at DBSTalk. But it can be helpful if lightening or a power failure affects all of your receivers/ satellite equipment as it will be replaced for only the cost of shipping I believe. An it also entitles you to free dish realignments, which I have never had to use in my DirecTV lifespan.

For your second question, all DirecTV HD receivers have component, composite, and HDMI outputs. An their all simultaneously hot. Meaning they all output a picture at the same time. They do not have a coax output, however.

Don't be afraid to return with more questions here as we would be happy to help.

Kevin

4. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Darn, Davenlr beat me to the punch :D.

All well, I typed it all on my iPhone and didn't see the refresh and the new post before mine. No biggie. Also please forgive me for typos, not the best iPhone typer out there.

Kevin

5. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    The more the merrier!

6. voip4me

voip4me New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Thanks all, I appreciate it

7. Nov 1, 2011 #7 of 23
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Leased receivers are covered with or without the protection plan. However, without you are subject to shipping costs while with those are covered.

I agree with the other comments. If you can handle some simple troubleshooting, then the protection plan may not be worth it. If not, then it probably is worth it.

Welcome aboard.

8. Nov 1, 2011 #8 of 23
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, welcome! This past ten days we've had a lot of long time members make their first post.

Keep 'em coming!

9. Nov 7, 2011 #9 of 23
    Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    Im not understanding this....?

Why wouldnt you be able to see the new gui on a SD tv??? Thats almost like saying you cant watch HD on a sd tv??

Need more info, doesnt seem like that would be the case......the resolution on the box has nothing to do with composite output, it doesnt change......

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "When you get this update", you'll find when both HD & SD TVs are connected to the same receiver, there is an annoying message displayed on the SD output.

11. DHWGULF

DHWGULF New Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I have just joined and have four HD/HDR receivers. I have several questions:
    1) How can you find which channels are on which satellites?
    2) I have signal fallout on two receivers, with fairly good signals on some of the transponders on all but 110 and 119 ( I do not think I use these anyway) - how can this be troubleshot?
    3) How can you tell which dish is which (SLIMLINE 3 VS SLIMLINE 5 --- MULTISWITCH VS NON MULTISWITCH)
    4) Can all HD receivers use either SLIMLINE 3 OR 5?
    5) One of my receivers shows 177 degrees (az), 53 degrees (el) & 87 degrees (tilt) while the other shows 193, 51, 72 - true for either SL 3 or 5. What does this mean?
    ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED BEFORE I GO TO A LOCAL INSTALLER.
    DHWGULF

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    1. this might help http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=198232
    2. one thing that might help is to swap these receivers around to locations that don't have this problem.
    3. The Slimline 3 only has one LNB [the pickup on the dish] while the SL5 has three. a Multiswitch is used when you have more than four tuners [DVRs have 2] and all Slimlines have one.
    4. yes
    5. this is for aligning the dish, but are merely starting points, so it doesn't mean much afterwards.

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    and :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

14. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Are you trying to do a self-install? An installer would take care off all that for you?

15. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    This is his Quote "ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED BEFORE I GO TO A LOCAL INSTALLER.", so Yes he is going to use an Installer!!!

And Yes you are Correct that the Installer will take care of all of these concerns for the Directv Customer.

16. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Got a Q for you - are you going DECA or Ethernet for Multi-Room Viewing?

And what are the full model numbers of the receivers you are going to use?

17. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    There are many possible causes for this, including how you are installed/setup. More info would help us offer better suggestions. See more discussion below.
    If there is only one coax connector on the LNB, it is SWM. If there are four coax connectors on the LNB, it is multiswitch.
    Yes, but they need to be properly configured (for 3 or 5)
    Two considerations. One, as someone noted, these are just starting points. The other is what zip code might be entered in the receivers. You can always go to www.dishpointer.com and check dish aiming for your specific location there.

More on your second question: If you have a legacy LNB (four coax connectors), and if you have four DVRs, you must use an separate mutliswitch (the WB68) in order to run two coax to each DVR. You can't use splitters. If you have an SWM LNB (one connector), then you can/must use splitters, but the DVRs/receivers must be properly configured for SWM and the splitters must be the approved green label type splitters (and you only run one coax to each unit).

18. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Or in a SWM environment 8 tuners can be used without a multiswitch.

Kevin

19. DHWGULF

DHWGULF New Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Thanks to all for your replies.
    The fallout problem was the coax leads at the LNB - all connectors were loose resulting in intermittent connection. Also found that the initial installer used incorrect tilt (20 degrees off from what the zip code said). So much for using "qualified" installers, huh??
    Thanks again!!

20. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Are you saying that you move the tilt 20 degrees and it worked before, and now it works better?