1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie, and Program Guide Questions

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by scaredpoet, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scaredpoet

scaredpoet Mentor

Jan 24, 2003
    Hey all,

Just saying hello here. I'm a newbie, just got Dish network about a week ago, and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I switched over from cable and DBS is a lot better than I expected it would be.

Just one question though... I've got two Dish 301 receivers on a Dish 500 setup, using a pole mount in my front yard. Signal strength is really good from both the 110 and 119 satellites (averaging about 120 to 125 on each). Yet, I can't seem to get a complete program guide on either 301 without some real significant delays. I know that there's a 24 hour and a 9-day guide coming from the birds, but whenever I try to access the guide from either receiver, I'm getting program info that's maybe 1 or 2 hours ahead, at best. If I try to go further, I either get a lot of blanks ("info not available") or I'll get a standby screen while the EPG info is downloaded, that sticks for quite a while. And I'll keep getting that standby screen for every two or three hours further I go into the EPG, with a download that lasts maybe two or three minutes. What's more, if I actually wait and let the download complete, I'll get all the info, but it wipes out again as soon as I leave the program guide. If I go back, I have to do it all over again.

I'm wondering if there's a way for me to get the 301 to download the whole guide and retain the info, or if that's just not possible? And if it's not possible, then what's the point of having a 24 hour guide, much less one that goes 9 days into the future, if it's going to take forever to scroll through it?

It's not a major issue, and won't stop me from sticking with Dish, but it is kind of annoying. And with a 9-day guide available, I can't help but think that the receivers really should be able to do this without so much fuss.

thanks!

2. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    The 301 does not have enough memory to hold more than a few hours of the guide at a time. The 9 day guide is for units with hard drives built in (501/508, 721). They load the entire guide and store it on the hard drive.

Sorry.

See ya
    Tony

3. scaredpoet

scaredpoet Mentor

Jan 24, 2003
    Oh well, guess it's time to consider an upgrade. No wonder these units are offered free. :) Thanks for the info.

4. Dgenx321

Dgenx321 Legend

Jan 1, 2003
    They always pawn off the cheap ones, if yow want use if for a slave reciever..

5. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    This is probably the biggest drawback to the 301 receiver. Had I known I would have opted for a couple 508s instead of a 508 and 301. In essence it is only marginally more useful than the scroliing channel guides on cable.

..Doyle

6. scaredpoet

scaredpoet Mentor

Jan 24, 2003
    I guess if you really want to get people signed up, you have to offer this sort of "no frills" receiver. Most new signups are, I imagine, cable defectors who aren't used to purchasing their own receivers, having leased from the cable company until now. So, to really get that market, this kind of receiver is what's needed as a freebie system. Heck, it got me hooked. :)

Even so, I doubt it would've costed a whole lot to stick another 64MB of RAM in there to hold a decent amount of program guide data. I mean, how much memory can, say 12 hours of the EPG take up? The 301 can barely hold maybe 2.5 hrs worth.

7. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    The guide on non-PVRs has been an issue. Don't forget about all the guide data from out of market local channels, retailer channels, the commercial Muzak channels and whatever else is up there. Even though the channels are hidden your guide the information is still downloaded.

Dish's selection of receivers is poor, you've got the 301, 508, 721 and 6000. A basic, single tuner PVR, dual tuner PVR and a HD receiver. Plus you've got the future 921, 211, 322, 522. As said in another thread, there should be 401, a 508 w/o PVR functions and maybe component video out.

8. toomuchtv

toomuchtv Godfather

May 17, 2002
    Remember, if you want to see what comes on , for example, 23 hours from now (it will work for any # of hours up to 48?), you can key in 23 & hit the right arrow button. The receiver will load the guide to that point & display the info. It's slow too, but better than going ahead 2 hrs. at a time.

9. marko

marko Godfather

Jan 8, 2003

Ah, thanks. This is a great hint. I've never seen mention of it before, but it comes in incredibly handy. I appreciate it.

10. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    And for those with PVRs, use the 30sec skip ahead button to advance 24 hours

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.