1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie DECA Install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by samsub, Aug 2, 2010.

1. samsub

samsub New Member

Aug 2, 2010
    My setup:
    HR24 living room
    H24 bedroom
    MRV connected and working

I have a wired ethernet connection behind TV in living room.
    There is one single coax cable coming out of my wall behind the HR24 set-up that leads into a SWM PI. From there coax feeds into HR24.

Problem: Want it hooked up to Internet to take advantage of VOD and ditch phone line. Installer said he would have to run coax from my HR24 to where my router is located (den). Told him no thanks b/c wifey no likey coax.

After browsing this site for awhile I would like an opinion if this would work:

From the single coax coming out of the wall install a 2-way splitter. From one out on splitter feed the SWM PI (make sure splitter supports power pass). From SWM PI feed HR24. Then from other out on splitter feed DECA. Hook up ethernet cable to DECA. Use power supply for DECA and plug it into an available outlet.

Will this work. Thanks in advance for any insight.

2. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    That will work just fine, and is something the installer could have done (I'm assuming that wired ethernet connection feeds back to your router.)

3. samsub

samsub New Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Yes, sir, it feeds back to the router.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. The installer was a nice enough guy, but it just seemed like he was overthinking it. He actually suggested that I put a powerline ethernet port behind my living room TV. Being as I already had a hard-wired ethernet port there, and he could see it, I knew it was time for him to take his free Coke and move on to the next job.

4. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    The only problem is the splitter, DECA, & DECA P/S are on your dime now. If you requested the ICK (internet connection kit) with your install I'd have him come back and fix it. Or at least bring you the parts and you can provide the training ;)

5. samsub

samsub New Member

Aug 2, 2010
    I didn't order it becuase I didn't know what it was. Lesson learned. Thanks again.

6. OnTheRidge

OnTheRidge Cool Member

Jan 10, 2009
    My current setup:
    Living room: HR22+AM21, 3 coax runs, no network
    Family room: Directivo, 2 coax runs (OTA diplexed), hardwired network
    Office: Directivo, 1 coax run (OTA diplexed), hardwired network
    Bedroom: OTA only, but have two COAX runs and network for possible future Directv upgrade.

I'd like to move the HR22 to the family room, put an HR24 in the living room, enable MRV (and probably leave the office alone for now). Future upgrade for the office would probably be an H2x with MRV.

OTA is important, because our local channels (Hartford) don't match the DMA that we are assigned by our zipcode (NYC), and news, weather, etc., on the Directv "locals" aren't generally relevant to us. Recording OTA isn't quite as important, as most of our recording is network shows that are available on the NYC channels.

I can easily run another coax to the family room (the DVR is directly above the coax distribution in the garage), and with some challenge, to the office.

Should I ask for an upgrade to SWM, or is it required to support the MRV since I don't have wired network in the LR?

I'm in the last 6-8 months of my contract and AT&T is pushing UVerse heavily in our area, which I plan to point out when I call. Looking for other tips on how to organize the request.

Thanks,
    Tom

7. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    OnTheRidge, if you want MRV, the diplexing of OTA won't work. So you will need a new coax to the office.

But if you replace the TIVO's with HR2x's, and sign up for MRV, each HR will require only one coax for SAT (2 tuners) and you can use the remaining coax for OTA.

You need to determine if you want to remove all the Tivo's.
    If you have one or two other HR's and MRV, you can get away with standard HD receivers in other locations and the DVR's will act as servers.

Two DVR's is four tuners so you can record four shows at one time. That's plenty.

8. OnTheRidge

OnTheRidge Cool Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Thanks NR4P. Maybe I'll go ahead and order an H2x for the office and run a second COAX for the OTA. I agree that 4 tuners is plenty once MRV is in place.