1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie: Dish 500 setup

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Hejl12, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Hejl12

Hejl12 New Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Hello all,
    Im new to all this satellite stuff and am attempting to setup a reciever at my lake house from my primary residence. I have purchased a used Dish 500 with dual lnbf plus. The reciever is a VIP211k. I have mounted the dish to a back porch with a clear view to the south and west. The pole is completly plump. According to a app i purchased there is no obstructions for the 110 and 119 satellite. I have aimed it in the direction it suggests along with the settings according to the setup menu. But I get no signal what so ever. I have tried hooking the cable to all three outlets on the lnbf with no avail. I have run the check switch and it runs but then after 38 of 38 it says "please wait while table is updated", i waited an hour and nothing happened. I am at a complete loss at what to do at this point. What outlet on the lnbf should i use? Where am i going wrong? Any help would be appreciated greatly!

Thanks Kevin

2. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth Godfather

Jul 18, 2005
    If your check switch is reading 38 tests, you have a bad connection between the receiver and the LNBF. Check your connections. Also only connect the cable to one of the two ports on the left side of the LNBF. If possible, try running a temporary cable straight from the dish to the receiver. 38 tests is always a connection problem, not a signal problem. Good luck.

3. Hejl12

Hejl12 New Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Thanks for the quick response. I actually have it hooked with a short cable, maybe 3ft from dish to reciever. Im by myself so have a small tv right beside it also to try and get it set up. I wouldnt think that would be the issue but maybe my cable is bad.

4. Hejl12

Hejl12 New Member

Mar 18, 2013
    and i also do at this time have it on the #1 hookup on the 2 sided output on the lnb

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Is the coax connected to the "F" fitting on the left end with a blue center?

6. Hejl12

Hejl12 New Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I got it figured out! Thanks Greatwhitenorth that was the issue. Immediatly got 68% after trying a new coax. What a simple fix! Thanks Yall!