1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie has questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by msurtees, Apr 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msurtees

msurtees New Member

Apr 30, 2006
    Hello, all.

I've just signed up to DirecTV...I have an R15 on the way with two standard recorders as well.

(Currently I have cable and a Tivo Series 2.)

Have I made a mistake? It sounds like the R15 is loathed by everyone. I've three days to cancel my order since that's the day they come to install everything.

I do have a couple of questoins:

* I keep reading something about not being able to switch between tuners?? What's this referring to?

* Is it true I need NO phone line for this box? That would be great as I don't have a phone jack anywhere near where I'd like to place it.

* Finally...is it true that 'series' can't be set to record at the best setting?

Thanks for answering this newbie's questions.

Michael

2. qwerty

qwerty Hall Of Fame

Feb 19, 2006
    The reference to the two tuners is that there are not two seperate buffers. The desire is that if you toggle between 2 channels, there should be two buffers allowing you to "rewind" each. However, it only allows for the channel you're currently on.

You don't need a phone line. If you do choose to use it, it gives you the ability to order pay-per-view from the remote and the caller ID function (which may or may not work anyway).

Not sure what you mean by the "best setting". There are no quality options at all on the R15, if that's what you mean.

3. Malibu13

Malibu13 Lifetime Achiever

Sep 12, 2004
    N.E North...
  4. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    New shades Donnie? :lol:

5. The intimidator

The intimidator AllStar

Apr 14, 2006
    Good go with Dish

6. May 1, 2006 #6 of 10
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    No. It is only loathed by some prior Tivo owners. The rest of us range from irritated acceptance to outright loving it. The user interface, the "look and feel" is significantly different than Tivo, so it takes some getting used to if you are very familiar with Tivo.

Dual live buffers. Previous DirecTivo units (built in DirecTV tuners combined with Tivo recording functionality) had two independent tuners each with a 30 minute buffer. You could switch back and forth between them as desired. It was like having two separate receivers. The R15 has two tuners, but only one live buffer. The R15 will use the second tuner when it needs to (such as to record something while you are watching something else), but it does not let the user select which tuner/buffer is currently being used.
    Yes, that is corret.
    Series can be set to record. There are currently two primary problems with this, which may or may not impact you. One, the R15 records all showings, rather than first run only (regardless of what you set). That is expected to be corrected in the forseeable future, but we don't know exactly when. Second, the R15 will only allow you to set a series record for a specific show on one channel. So if your favorite show happens to run on 2 or more channels, you could only set the series link for one of them.
    You are welcome. Overall, I rather like the R15, as do many others. I personally don't think you would be making a mistake. Hopefully this information will help you better make your decision.

Carl

7. May 1, 2006 #7 of 10
    msurtees

msurtees New Member

Apr 30, 2006

Thanks Carl and to the rest of you. I'm scheduled for an install on Wed and am looking forward to calling my cable company and telling them to stuff it.

I stopped by a Circuit City today and played with the R15. Honestly, I have no problem with it as far as the GUI even considering I'm a Tivo user. Looks good enough for me. I also think the remote is nice.

Thanks again to all.

8. May 1, 2006 #8 of 10
    Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Keep us updated with your impression once you have them up and running.

9. May 1, 2006 #9 of 10
    Malibu13

Malibu13 Lifetime Achiever

Sep 12, 2004
    N.E North...
    Yep. :lol: ..................along with a "facelift" and "hair piece". ;) :sure:

10. gimme5

gimme5 Legend

Jan 27, 2006
    No best or basic setting here. It's basically 100 hours of "best" setting. When I went from Series 2 to DirecTivo, I was amazed by the picture quality. Now, with the R-15, the PQ is even better (I don't notice the difference on my small TV, but I do notice it on the big screen).

You didn't make a mistake. The R-15 is pretty good (as long as you don't have a bad box). It can improve on some things, but it's better than a single tuner Series2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.