1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs some help.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by vikingguy, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vikingguy

vikingguy Legend

Aug 1, 2005
    Bear with me this is kind of confusing. I ordered direct tv in july the installer came and I was sleeping so my GF was supposed to handle it all. Well it was sunday july 3rd and the installer looked over the lot and said no way and left 5 minutes later. I agree with him that a tripple LBN dish will not work to many trees I don't think he wanted to spend the time to do a 2 dish install. So I have decided to find out if I can get get reception from the 101 and 119 birds. I bought a tri pod and a old dishnetwork 300 dish with a legacy LBN and direct tv DVR. I was able to get 92 on the 101 bird with no problems. My issue is trying to find out if I can get the 119 bird. I called direct TV and they say I need either tripple dish or another round dish to test 119. I found this strange since with dishnetwork I could test the signal of either 110 or 119 with only a 18 inch round dish. In the menu I can only choose 101 bird with a 18 inch install.

I have found another dish 300 in my yard so the question is what else will I need to test the 199 bird the cheapest? Like I have heard you can use dishnetwork legacy sw21 is this true? This is all for testing so it does not have to be great. Do I really need 2 dishes and somekind of switch just to test the 119 bird?

2. mrscott

mrscott New Member

Apr 5, 2005
    The best option (not knowing your location) is just get a 2nd opinion. Call DTV, set up another install and be awake to ask the tech questions. Do you need the 119 sat (some locations get all the info from the 101 and unless you plan on using a HD rcvr you dont need it in that case) and where is it? A tech worth his salt will spend a few minutes showing you with an inclinometer where it is. As far as a double dish scenario goes, it could cost you extra on the install (one dish could go on the house but the 2nd 80 yds in a field and someones gonna set a pole and bury that cable) but you get DTV. Get another tech and see what options he can come up with. I'm in VA and have done lots of double dish set ups that the guy before me either didnt see or didnt want to do.

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    You will need a 22khz switch to see the 119 satellite on a directv receiver. You sound like a DISH Network customer if you have a DISH setup you are already looking at 119 that is their main satellite. If you can receive 119 with a DISH system you can also receive it with a D* system the location is the same. :)

4. vikingguy

vikingguy Legend

Aug 1, 2005
    Yes I get my main dishnetwork perfectly locals are out in windy conditions in the summer. You serious if I can get main dishnetwork I can get 119 of direct tv? If that is true I am in business.

Any one know how much extra direct tv charges for 2 dish installs?

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Yes 119 is used by Dish network (TPs 1-21) and DirecTV (TPs 22-32). I use my triple LNB oval dish mainly for DirecTV, but I also use it to get the Dish Superstation Pack on TP15. I have a 22kHz generator connected to my 4x8 multisiwtch and the Dish 301 receiver.

6. vikingguy

vikingguy Legend

Aug 1, 2005

Thanks and that is a cool idea the only thing that has kept me from switching was the super station pack. But enterprise was cancelled and direct tv carries my local WB I am set:).

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    BTW, my setup only works because the Superstation pack is on TP15, it doesn't interfere with the even TPs that DirecTV converts down to TPs 8, 10, and 12 for 110.

8. jackp

jackp New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Hello and Hi, How do i setup a dish correctly?I have a 10'ft solid dish with a 18" riding on top of it.I am in Chicago,IL 60643.Amc3 k-3 tp600 pbs@87 deg.is my southmost sat.I am having elevation problems. my big dish is at 41.5,Do i make the little 18'' the same(do all movable dish has the same elevation?)3 fixited dish,1primestar,1 channel master,(1) 18".=36.6 help

9. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    For DirecTV, go here and enter your zipcode and whether you have a round (single LNB) or elliptical (same as oval with either 2 or 3 LNBs) to find the aiming info you need.
    http://www.rca.com/directv/zip_code_selection
    The dish needs to be stationary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.