1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie question on SWM dishes (new install!)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Akali22, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Akali22

Akali22 New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    I'm a total newb and I'm hoping someone here can help with this. I just signed up for DirecTV and I'm getting 2 HD DVRs. For what it's worth, I requested 2 HR-22's. I also requested a SWM dish. I'm in the Washington, DC area (if that matters).

After reading through the forums, I understand that I'll be lucky to get a HR-22. However, I'm going to insist that the installer only put in a SWM dish. So my question is this, how will I know that a dish is the SWM model? My order, per the web order info page, says 5LNB dish. But when the guy shows up this Friday, I'd like to be able to "know" that the dish he's installing is actually a SWM.

Any help or advice?
    Thanks!

2. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    If he only has to run one wire and it uses a power inserter you know it is the SWM.

But if you really dont know how to tell if it is a SWM or not then why are you requiring that you get one? You might not be able to get one, and in that case I would just go with the normal install they come prepared to do.

3. Akali22

Akali22 New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    I'd prefer to go the "one cable" route, that is why I want the SWM model. I'm going to tell the installer this, and I was just wondering if all SWM dishes actually say something on them to indicate this. If the guy doesn't have the SWM model, I don't mind waiting until they get it in.

4. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Just as long as it has one wire coming out of the LNB you will know it is a SWMLine.

5. Akali22

Akali22 New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Thanks for the help! The install went great although I did have to spend around $150 for a sled mount and wall fish. I got a SwmLine and 2 HR22 receivers so I'm happy.

6. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Excellent! Glad you are happy with the install ;)