1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

newbie questions

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by 11bravo, May 17, 2012.

1. 11bravo

11bravo New Member

May 17, 2012
    My decision to leave comcast behind was because of there lack of support of cable cards for tivo. Numerous times i called and had trucks say they fixed the problem only to have it return. I finally got someone to fix the problem but only lasted for 4 months and the one set went south. So here i am looking into getting dtv i like the whole home box with a hddvr in the bedroom with athe wireless operation. My problem is that i have a lot of trees around the house so does the dish have to be in the line of site to the sat. or can it be up a little for reception. Do you get a 30day trail period to if it doesn't work money back? Thanks

2. Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo Legend

Mar 14, 2012
    I think you need line of sight, and I think there is some time to try it out. Maybe a DIRT member can assist with your questions.

3. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Just wanted to make sure you are asking about Direct since you used dtv in your post. If so, the thread needs to be moved there since this section is for Dish Network. You would, however need a line of sight for either satellite service.

4. RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network New Member

Jul 21, 2011
    There is no trial period, but the technician would be able to determine if you are able to receive enough signal to be installed. Our newest receiver is a whole home DVR called the Hopper. If you send me a PM with some more information about the number of TVs you are connecting as well as what programming package you were considering and I'll be happy to make any recommendations that I can. Thanks!

5. 11bravo

11bravo New Member

May 17, 2012
    So about that raymond i was looking into direct tv, i see i posted in the wrong forum. But i downloaded the dish pointer app to my cell phone and it looks like i can get a clear line of site just above the trees. thanks for anymore info.