1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - quick question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by fruitjacket, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fruitjacket

fruitjacket New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    OK, so comcast is screwing me over, and I've decided I'm likely going to go with DirecTV (mainly because of Sunday Ticket):D .

I've been reading some reviews of the DVR on the web, and many are saying the DVR is buggy, and the TIVO was much better, etc., etc.

I use forums alot..and I know this is a forum "sin" because i should use the search feature...but....

I just want some general information.

1. Can I buy a used Tivo for DirecTV and use it for a new service agreement?

2. Have most of the bugs been worked out with recording, etc?

3. If you had your choice, Tivo or the HR20, which would it be (and why if you please)?

Thanks!

PS - also, I'm a computer network engineer, so if anybody has networking problems and there's nobody else here who knows that stuff, I'd be happy to help.

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    1. Yes

2. Yes

3. The HR20. I much prefer the HR20's GUI to Tivo. Also, with the HR10 (Tivo) you will miss out on all of the new HD channels coming out in September.

Here is the projected HD channel list for September through the end of 2007. With the Tivo, you will only receive the HD channels available now.

3. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Welcome to the forum!

1) No, you will need to buy net new equipment. Once it's activated though you can deactivate one and activate one you bought on eBay. You may also need to pay $20 for a new access card for the used receiver. We did this in my house when we switched from a 3rd party DIRECTV provider to DIRECTV proper. We already had the equipment but had to buy new equipment and then deactivate it and replace it with the stuff we already were using. That time they were good enough to let us use the same card.

2) I have 4 HR20s and have had no issues with them. I also have 5 HR10-250s that worked just as well but after test driving an HR20 we made the switch. Wife approval factor is high.

3) HR20. It's the only HD DVR that will be able to get the new HD channels come September and will eventually support VOD. The Media Share is still in beta but that too so far is working out great for us.

4. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    1. You can certainly buy a used TiVo. Not sure if you can use it for a new set-up (you probably can, others may know) but at the very least, you can add it to your system immediately after installation. For example, order an R15 (SD DVR) so that you get two lines run to the installation, and then immediately call and switch over to the TiVo.

2. Many bugs have been worked out. I love my HR20. Others still have a few problems. Most gripes I see are with features (or lack thereof, such as dual live buffers).

3. Never had a TiVo, so I'm a little biased, but I would still definitely go with the HR20. There are several reasons, but the biggest is that DirecTV will be significantly increasing their HD content starting in September, and the HD TiVo will not be able to view them. The HD TiVo is obsolete.

Hope that helps.

Edit: You guys are fast. :)

5. fruitjacket

fruitjacket New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Wow, thanks for the posts guys. And since there's a bunch more HD channels coming out (didn't know that..thank you!), it seems pretty obvious what my answer is.

Thank you!

I'm sure I'll be here in the future. I'm a forum junkie.

6. FreddyC

FreddyC Cool Member

May 13, 2007
    I've been with DirecTV since 1995 and have never regretted it. I had TIVO for a couple of years, and I loved it. Just got an HR20 for the basement and have had no problems with it. If you have an HD TV, get an HD receiver. Freddy

7. fruitjacket

fruitjacket New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    The HR-20 is both a HD DVR and HD receiver, right?

8. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    yes

9. fruitjacket

fruitjacket New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Thanks.

Say, I looked over your profile, you seem to have a slight clue to what you're doing with cabling. :lol: So I have a question.

Can I keep Comcast for internet, since the Direct TV will come through on the same cabling? IE will the signals work on the same cabling?

10. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I also have comcast internet but you can not have the internet and the DIRECTV on the same line. It will not work.

11. jheda

jheda DBSTalk Club Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we all love to help. feel free to ask away.

IMHO you are correct in going with the hr20, although not perfect it has many features i prefer over the dtivo, and with the HD channels coming our way, vod etc, it is the only way to go...

also if you are enjoying this forum consider becoming a member and help us make the forum even better!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.