1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Newbie whole home question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by whorne, Apr 25, 2013.

1. whorne

whorne New Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Hello everyone! Love this site. Anyway, I have a question and forgive me for the ignornace as I am new to this.

I presently have a whole home connected setup with two HR-24 and one HR-21 (i think that is right).

I was thinking of getting a genie from some place like solid signal or ebay and replace the HR-21 with it.

Is this something I can do or do I still have to have Directv install it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Most likely the magic number for you is eight tuners. Genie (5) and two 24s (4) are one too many for your SWiM-8.

DirecTV will change to what you need (Swim-16) if you change the 21 out.

3. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Since you already have 3 HD-DVRs that means you currently have 6 tuners on your system. If you were to replace one of your HD-DVRs with a Genie, then you would be up to 9 tuners. That requires a SWM-16 install which you are very unlikely to have currently. In my opinion you should order it through DirecTV so they come out and get everything set up right for you. If you don't know much about it, setting up a SWM-16 on your own can be somewhat difficult. Not to mention by the time you buy a SWM 16, the power inserter, splitters, LNB, and Genie you are probably looking at spending over $400, ordering the Genie through DirecTV you will likely be able to get it for $300 or less depending on your account status.

4. whorne

whorne New Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Thanks very much for the quick responses. I will probably go through DirecTV based on what you guys said.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The other option is to disable one of the tuners on a 24, but I would still go through Directv and get it done right, have all the tuners working.

6. whorne

whorne New Member

Dec 3, 2011

Just out of curiosity, how does one disable a tuner as you suggested?

Thanks

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You would repeat the satellite set up and specify "single tuner" at the appropriate step

8. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I wouldn't try that IMO unless you don't record much on that DVR. Otherwise if you record a program on one channel while watching another than it will take you to that recording channel and can't watch live tv on another unless the recording finishes or you stop it from recording.

9. SkyHunterSky

SkyHunterSky New Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Louisville
    Don't do it just go through dtv . Be stupid to have an hd DVR only used 1 tuner. Unless you plan o never use it.

10. whorne

whorne New Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I was just curious. I plan on going through Directv when I finally decide to make the change.