1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Newbie with GenieGO questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Smokeyspop, Jun 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Smokeyspop

Smokeyspop New Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Hi there,

I'm new here and hoping to get some understanding on how the GenieGO is working from a practical sense. Any help is greatly appreciated. My questions are:
    1) if all of my 4 dvrs are networked with shared playlists, will one GenieGO unit plugged into one of the dvrs give me access to all of my programming through GenieGO?
    2) how big are the files that transfer to laptops/iPads/etc? For example, how big is a 2-hour program going to take up on my 16 gb iPad?
    3) how long is the transfer process?
    4) is the transfer process done by connecting the GenieGO to my laptop/iPad/iPhone/etc via USB or is it wireless?
    5) has anyone had success getting the unit for free?

Thanks, again, for any help you all can provide.

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    1) Yes
    2) It's been a while but I think it's about 400 MB per hour
    3) 30 days but can be re-odownloaded
    4) transcode is 1:1, 1 hour for a 1 hour program. done unattended on the geniego (you can close the client. Download is about 5 min. per hour program, depending on your network
    5) Probably depends on the CSR and your history, but just had a friend get one free on his new setup.

Go for it, particularly if you travel.

3. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    For #1, the GenieGo does not plug into a DVR. It has an ethernet connection so you connect it to an available port on your router/switch. That also means that your networked DVR's need to be connected also need to have connectivity to your network that the GenieGo is connected to.

#2, a 30 minute recording of Storage Wars was 281,408KB

4. Smokeyspop

Smokeyspop New Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Awesome. Thanks for your replies. So the go unit can actually stay in my server room and the transfer process can occur wirelessly?

5. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Yep, anywhere as long as it has internet connectivity, access to your wireless router and can see your HD DVR's on the same IP network.

6. Smokeyspop

Smokeyspop New Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Thanks again for your help. I just got the Cust retention dept to ship me one for free! :)