1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newest DirecTV DVR GUI

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Milkman, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Milkman

Milkman Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    I saw the GUI for the SD DirecTV DVR (non-TiVo), and was completely unimpressed. Does the H20 use the same interface? Also, how would you compare the H20 functionality to that of the DirecTV TiVo (for those of you that used it). Does the H20 allow you to network (like the HMO option of TiVo)?

Tell me a little about it! :)

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    All of the DirecTV receivers now use the same GUI. The H20 is not a DVR (did you mean HR20?) The functionality is nearly equivalent (but no wishlists), however if you are used to Tivo, there is some unlearning/learning to do. None of the Directv DVRs (Tivo or otherwise) allow you to network. Directv supposedly will have a networking option available in the future.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Actually the UI for all of DirecTV's latest products is very similar, regardless of whether it's a DVR or standalone receiver. Personally I find that the UI is pretty easy to get used to.

4. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Milkman did say new SD DVR. Very confusing.

5. Milkman

Milkman Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I did mean the HR20-700 (HD DVR right?). My current D* DVR is a SD TiVo.

My installer said you could hook that new receiver up to your network. Guess he saw the port and figured it was active. I wish DirecTV would get with the program and enable networking with these units.

No wishlist? That sucks. So you have to know the name of the show and the channel? It is nice with TiVo, because I can use the keyword of "SEINFELD" and it will record Seinfeld on any channel it comes on at any time. Can't do that with the D* DVR huh??? VERY disappointing.

6. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes you can.
    There are keyword searches in the DVR+ series

7. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    757 & 718
    Never tried it but some one said a while agon on this board that when you type in "SEI" on the r15 it will lock up and freeze. Don't kno if its the same for the hr20 and I don't remember if they fixed this with an update.

8. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Probably a "search" for SEI

And yes, in the past search by titles have locked up, but thost have been VASTLY improved on the R15 a few releases ago...

And on the HR20, it has been reported fairly rarely that a search is locking the box.

9. jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    I agree. Like I posted elsewhere, my 300 froze up a month or two ago while looking for a title starting with "THE". But all recent title searches on my 500 just fly - not sure exactly when it happened, but there is very little delay between letters. I haven't tried a search recently on my 300, so I can't say for that particular machine. But I've been impressed with the improved speed on the search.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.