1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

News-Press & Gazette (NPG) and DirecTV agreement expiring Oct 9

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by kkl, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Oct 6, 2013 #1 of 33
    kkl

kkl Mentor

Feb 11, 2007
    News-Press & Gazette (NPG) and DirecTV agreement is set to expire on Oct 9, only three years since the last impasse. Typically, my local station, KRDO, is running spots blaming DTV and DTV has set aside a sub-channel, "13-1: ALERTS. Important Info. about your ABC station", although I've only seen the DirecTV logo displayed on it. Curiously, directvpromise.com says there are no disputes for local zip codes, but if you cancel the pop-up you'll see this:

NPG owns a number of stations per their website:
    Practicing electronic journalism at its finest, our television stations serve diverse communities in states including Arizona, California, Colorado, Oregon, Idaho, and Texas,. We are the No. 1 station in most of our communities. Our on-air success also includes radio stations, which are well-known for reaching the Hispanic market.

KESQ-TV (ABC), Palm Springs (Desert), CA
    KESQ-TV 42.1 Newschannel 3 ABC
    KESQ-TV 42.2 First Alert Weather Channel
    KDFX-TV 33.2 FOX11
    KCWQ-TV 2.3 CW5
    KUNA-TV 15.1 Telemundo

KUNA-FM 96.7
    KESQ-AM 1400

KEYT-TV 3.1 (ABC), Santa Barbara, Santa Maria, San Luis Obispo, Ventura
    3.2 MyNet

KRDO-TV (ABC), Colorado Springs, CO
    KRDO-TV 13.1- NewsChannel 13 (ABC)
    KTLO-TV 13.2 – Telemundo
    KRDO-AM – 1240
    KRDO-FM – 105.5

KJCT-TV (ABC), Grand Junction, CO

KJCT-TV 8.1 ABC Grand Junction, Colorado
    KJCT-TV 8.2 Telemundo Grand Junction, Colorado
    KJCT-TV 8.3 Western Colorado’s CW 13 Grand Junction, Colorado
    KJCT-TV 21.1 & 28.3 ABC Montrose, Colorado
    KJCT-TV 21.2 & 28.3 Telemundo Montrose, Colorado
    KJCT-TV 21.3 & 28.3 Western Colorado’s CW 13 Montrose, Colorado

KIFI-TV (ABC), Idaho Falls, ID
    KIFI-TV -8.1 – ABC
    KIFI-TV – 8.2 – Telemundo East Idaho
    KIFI-TV – 8.3 – CW East Idaho
    KIFI-TV – 8.4 – Local News 8 NOW
    KIDK-TV – 3.1 – CBS
    KXPI-TV – 3.2 – My Network

KMIZ – ABC, Columbia, MO
    KQFX – FOX
    KZOU – MyNetworkTV
    Me-TV

KNPN 26.1 – FOX, St. Joseph, MO
    KNPN 26.2 – News-Press NOW
    KNPN 26.3 – CW
    KNPN 26.4 – Telemundo

KVIA-TV (ABC), El Paso, TX
    KVIA-TV 7.1 ABC7
    KVIA-TV 7.2 El Paso – Las Cruces CW
    KVIA-TV 7.3 24/7 Stormtrack Weather Channel
    KVIA-TV 7.4 El Paso – Las Cruces Azteca

KTVZ-TV (NBC), Bend, OR
    KTVZ-TV 21.1 NBC Newschannel 21
    KTVZ-TV 21.2 CW
    KFXO-TV 39.1 FOX
    KFXO-TV 39.2 Telemundo

KECY-TV (FOX), Yuma, AZ
    KECY-TV 9.1 FOX 9
    KECY-TV 9.2 ABC 5
    KECY-TV 9.3 CW 6
    KECY-TV 9.4 KESE / Telemundo
    - See more at: http://www.npgco.com/business-units/broadcast#sthash.zFenvULz.dpuf

2. Oct 6, 2013 #2 of 33
    dwrats_56

dwrats_56 Godfather

Apr 20, 2007
    Columbia, MO
    Last night during the Missouri Tiger football game they were doing a quick blurb about the current agreement ending at noon on October 9th. They also list all of the alternate methods to get their channels.

I did not realize that JW Broadcasting sold to NPG.

3. Oct 6, 2013 #3 of 33
    litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Here we go again :nono2:

4. Oct 6, 2013 #4 of 33
    texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    It's not often I suggest that the FCC should create more regulations but this situation goes from bad to worse. IMHO they should ban retransmission fees completely. The stations are just so desperate for revenue they don't care about their viewers.

1 person likes this.
  5. Oct 6, 2013 #5 of 33
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Or at least start with not allowing one company to own more than one major network in a market. Owning both NBC and FOX or ABC and CBS shouldn't be allowed.

6. Oct 6, 2013 #6 of 33
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yeah ....

The powerful lobbying capability from the NAB is the problem here though.

7. Oct 9, 2013 #7 of 33
    kkl

kkl Mentor

Feb 11, 2007
    Apparently an agreement wasn't reached, because my local station became unavailable at exactly 1100 MDT. DTV is displaying:

"The owner of this channel has unfortunately forced DIRECTV to temporarity remove it from your line-up despite our repeated requests to keep it on. While we regret their decision, typically disruptions of this sort last a very short time.

Please visit DirectvPromise.com for the latest and most accurate information on this station's return."

Add me to the list of those who think retransmission consent is ridiculous. I blame NPG.

8. Oct 9, 2013 #8 of 33
    dwrats_56

dwrats_56 Godfather

Apr 20, 2007
    Columbia, MO
    Directvpromise.com says they are requesting tripple the current fee.

All I can say is, WOW!!!!!

9. Oct 9, 2013 #9 of 33
    Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    Directv and Dish always say something like "its 5 times, its 3 times, its a 500% increase". Who cares? What I want to know is, is it 3 times $0.05, or 3 times $1.00. There are two sides and then the truth,

1 person likes this.
  10. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    It is my local for ABC. Here is what KRDO says about it: http://www.krdo.com/news/krdo-newschannel-13-blocked-out-by-directv/-/417220/22351406/-/1567327/-/index.html

KRDO had another dispute with DTV back when local HD was being rolled out. It took a while then, could be a while now. Total bull****!
    KRDO has some of the worst audio on there local productions and utilizes 1 HD camera for there in house news broadcasts.....
    Sorry, ranting here, we only watch the dance show so not a huge thing for us.....

11. ricksterinps

ricksterinps Mentor

Oct 11, 2007
    Here is what Palm Springs' stations are saying. Unfortunately, Gulf-California Broadcast (an NPG subsidiary) owns/blocked ABC, CBS, FOX, CW and Telemundo. The only major not owned by them in this area is NBC.

http://www.kesq.com/news/directv-satellite-subscriber-advisory/-/233092/22336440/-/vcj84g/-/index.html

First off, I know all about the FCC rules regarding DMA's.

Since stations are requiring carriers to pay for what they broadcast for free, it's to bad that there isn't a way to allow the customer to choose to pay either the local broadcast fees or national fees. I wouldn't mind paying for national feeds instead of local and if it was possible, not against the rules/law and I worked for D's management, I'd drop all local carriers and just deal with 2 majors for each network, East and West. It would open up a lot of bandwidth.

Again, I know the FCC won't allow it, but it's nice to play the "What if..." game.

12. argonaut

argonaut AllStar

Dec 16, 2006
  13. bones boy

bones boy Godfather

Aug 25, 2007
    In Anchorage we lost ABC for almost a month! Hope this gets resolved a lot quicker.

14. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    Initially, you will see numbers like that.

A few years ago, local broadcasters received nothing. One month ago, CBS set the benchmark: 2 dollars a local station, per month, by the year 2016.

Heck, if I were in DTV's investor relations department, I would cite the CAGR, and compare it to inflation.

Let's assume DTV is paying a local 15 cents a month, and the same local wants 2 dollars by year 4 of the new contract.

That's a CAGR (compound annual growth rate) of 91.1%.

Compare that figure to expected inflation of 1.9% over that time period, according the the Fed.

So, the local station is requesting an annual price increase of 91.1% vs annual inflation of 1.9%, over the next four years.

How do you like them apples!!!!!!!!!!

15. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    I fully agree, these channels have lost reality. We negotiate contracts with contractors off a fair agreed price, then you can look at CPI every year. Our heavy equipment contractor has a set hourly rate (runs 10 D8's for us) but we do adjust qtrly with the fuel index. Its FAIR, thats what these people cant get. They want want want...

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    But of course therein lies the problem, establishing a "fair agreed price" to which these local station ownership groups will always swear up and down they are doing. :engel07:

Which they're not of course.. !devil12:

1 person likes this.
  17. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I am willing to bet that DirecTV settles with NPG before Dish settles with Media General.

Dish has been running full page adds in the Raleigh News and Observer saying that NBC 17 cares more about money than it does its viewers and that Dish is not willing to pay three times as much for the same programming. It sounds similar to the DirecTV / NPG situation.

18. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Id fully agree with your prediction.

19. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    it's almost a monthly occurance now, isn't it..... we'll just have to wait what dispute we'll get in November. ;)

20. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I don't get why Direct or Dish pay for the locals unless they put equipment in a station's facility. The stations give it away on OTA and the providers get more eyes on their channel. I know why D* and E* charge for it because of satellite uplinks and all, maybe one day if they charge too much for locals, I'll like to have a package without locals and use my OTA and save a few bucks.

1 person likes this.