1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Next Freeview: HBO & Cinemax & Showtime June 2012

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by the future is now, May 10, 2012.

1. the future is now

the future is now AllStar

Jun 9, 2010
    Los Angeles
    HBO and Cinemax are on from June 8-11.

Showtime (should never try to follow HBO in the same week and than you add one less day?) is on from June 15-17, 2012.

2. the future is now

Jun 9, 2010
    Los Angeles
    can someone post the insert?

3. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Actually, the next "freeview" is Choice Ultimate from May 28-June 3 which includes Encore and all the Encore Movie Channels.

4. the future is now

Jun 9, 2010
    Los Angeles
    i forgot about that one, sorry.

I also see that Choice Ultimate no longer includes Encore East in HD, so what's the point?

5. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Where did you see that? It is still listed on DirecTv's website as being in Ultimate.

6. the future is now

Jun 9, 2010
    Los Angeles
    i still get the Inside DirecTV mailing with my bill every month and in the May/Jun 2012 edition they have the New Channel Lineup on two pages. Encore (East) HD is not included with the Choice Ultimate package, there is no green dot next to it like all the other Encore channels. it is now only included with the Premier package or the Starz package of course.

7. taz291819

taz291819 Godfather

Oct 18, 2006
    HBO normally does a weekend freeview whenever a popular show is returning, and in this case, it's the return of True Blood.

8. heidic

heidic Cool Member

Apr 21, 2009
    But the great thing about this preview is, Showtime will be running marathons of many of its series. So if you wanted to see shows like Homeland, Dexter, Nurse Jackie, Shameless, etc. but weren't a subscriber, you will have the opportunity to see the entire season, start to finish, for free! (Personally, I wouldn't bother with Dexter, as this past season was awful, but Homeland is definitely worth catching. I'm looking forward to seeing Nurse Jackie and the Big C.)

9. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    http://ebm.cm.directv.com/c/tag/hBPuubyB8c3R4B8izmiABXN7y$X/doc.html?t_params=I_MORE1%3D3%26I_NEWS1%3D5%26I_OFFERS1%3D0%26I_TIPSANDTRICKS%3D1%26I_TIVODIS2%3D5%26

Here's a link

10. wilsonc

wilsonc Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    I have Choice Ultimate and receive channel 535 just fine. It's a mistake.

11. slo_dave

slo_dave Cool Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Do you all remember if HBO on demand will be available during the freeview?
    Would like to catch up and rewatch all of Game of Thrones :)

12. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    Usually with FREE previews the actual channels on demand is not included, but DirecTV has in the past added a FREE on demand channel that has some of the content.

13. ponchsox

ponchsox Cool Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I wonder how many people just cancelled HBO after the Game of Thrones finale?

14. the future is now

Jun 9, 2010
    Los Angeles
    at what time in the morning do they turn this on again?

15. moob

moob Legend

Nov 19, 2008
    I've had Choice Extra (Xtra Classic now I guess) for years and I've had Encore HD for most of it. I have no idea how or why, but it's been there through several hardware and programming changes. Oddly enough, it says I'm not authorized for the SD version. lol

I'm not saying that they didn't make a mistake on the insert (I have the insert as well and there is no green dot), but D* makes mistakes both ways. o_O

I believe 3AM PST.

16. the future is now

Jun 9, 2010
    Los Angeles
    this preview is great as i have around 50 movies set to be recorded :)

17. the future is now

Jun 9, 2010
    Los Angeles
    HBO was great, Showtime not so much. still love these free view and hope next time they space them a bit more.

18. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    What i hated with the HBO/MAX preview is: ALMOST EVERY MOVIE IS IN THAT LETTERBOX CRAP!! (Which i dont want to see.... I LIKE MY MOVIES FULL SCREEN like i have seem them for 30+ years)

19. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I perfer letterbox. Otherwise part of the picture is cut out to take 1.85 or 2.35 aspect ratio and fit it full screen on 1.78(16x9).

I perfer to see it as it was intended. :)

What I hates it window boxed movies. Syfy does that all the time. :mad:

Mike

20. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Please think about this.....worst idea ever...Every movie should be shown in its original aspect ratio, so it will depend on your tv whether it fills the screen or not.