1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Next New Subscriber Promotion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sdpadres, Sep 12, 2013.

1. sdpadres

sdpadres Mentor

Sep 7, 2004
    Anyone know what the next new subscriber promotion will be? The current one ends October 2nd. I've been waiting to subscribe since I really don't want NFL Sunday Ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

2. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Probably still a Sunday Ticket deal since it will only be 1/4 through the season. What exactly are you holding out for if you don't want Sunday Ticket? I know the deal last year, that ran through Dec 5, 2012 included Sunday Ticket.

3. sdpadres

sdpadres Mentor

Sep 7, 2004
    I was hoping for something centered around the NBA League Pass.

4. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    With NBA League Pass not being an exclusive, I wouldn't expect it to be offered for free. The NBA's other partners (read: Dish and cable) would go nuts.

5. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Actually, I've never seen them offer that for free or even discounted as part of a new subscriber package. I've only ever seen MLB in the spring or NFL in the summer/fall.

6. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    Verizon gave it to me free one year, they charged me $169.00 for the nba league pass then credited my account $20.00 off a month for 1 year, which was more than the cost of the package I dont know know why directv cant do that for a new customer. I'm also waiting to see if i can get a deal on the nba league pass. Heck i'd be happy If directv could give me $20.00 off a month for 6 months to sign up as a new customer! The league pass is $189.00 this year. come on directv show us NBA hoop junkies some love!

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Verizon gave it to me free one year, they charged me $169.00 for the nba league pass then credited my account $20.00 off a month for 1 year, which was more than the cost of the package I dont know know why directv cant do that for a new customer. I'm also waiting to see if i can get a deal on the nba league pass. Heck i'd be happy If directv could give me $20.00 off a month for 6 months to sign up as a new customer! The league pass is $189.00 this year. come on directv show us NBA hoop junkies some love!
    promotional packages for new customers are already heavy discounted.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

8. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    I can see Directv doing this as a one on one option for NBA League Pass but I've never seen a national offer for free or discounted like you do for Sunday Ticket or MLB Extra Innings.

9. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Their so-called "expiration dates" on their new customer offers are just to get customers to make a decision. It's like stores that have sales that expire but shortly thereafter another similar sale begins. Their new customer offers haven't seemed to change much in years. Big discount on the programming package for the first year, $10 off the second year which is really "free HD" but not for "life" anymore. And don't forget the $25 a month gouge for a Genie which, supposedly is a "free upgrade". Hah!!

10. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Isnt there some wiggle room if you contact them and say "I dont want Sunday Ticket but can you do something about NBA League Pass?"

11. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    That's what I was thinking. Everything is negotiable.

Worst that can happen is DTV says "no".

12. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Except NHL Center Ice. :nono2:

13. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    NFL ST and all of the other league packages are different beasts. While I'm sure they have leeway in giving out credits during the sale, the fact that NFL ST is exclusive and the others are not means that the other leagues likely have some protection in the contracts to keep DirecTV from completely devaluing the product. Remember a few years ago, Starz sued Dish Network for giving away Starz/Encore to all subscribers for something like a year.

14. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    I did ask directv to give me nba league pas for free instead o th nfl sunday ticket they said NO that the only promotion they have right now is for sunday ticket. The csr even told me the sunday ticket was a $500.00 value. and besides best buy offers a $150.00 giftcard on top of the sunday discount with genie, and costco has a discount also for signing up with them,so why is it so hard to welcome a new customer with some kind of discount besides sunday ticket? whhen i was with directv before i had nba league pass for everyone of my 14 years i was with them, and will always have league pass as a directv customer because its the only i can see all my celtics games on the big screen in HD .I do not want to watch the nba on broadband on a my computer laptop or mobile device. I dont even have or want a smartphone to watch tv on ,thats why i bought my 55'' HDTV to watch my tv programs,sports,and movies on!

15. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I have to believe you can get some discount at some point other than unsay ticket.

16. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    The reason you can get a NFL ST for free and not NBA League Pass is that DirecTV pays the NFL a flat fee for Sunday Ticket. No matter how many people subscribe to it, DirecTV already knows what they're paying. League Pass is a per-sub package, each sub increases the amount DirecTV has to pay to the NBA. Giving you Sunday Ticket doesn't cost them a dime more than if you didn't subscribe at all. League Pass doesn't work that way.

17. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    You make a good point joesphB I guess i'll just wait it out a liitle longer and wait untill we get closer to preseason games,Although it would be nice to have the 5 tuners now with the start of the new FALL tv shows.

18. sdpadres

sdpadres Mentor

Sep 7, 2004
    Since we are a week away from the next/new subscriber promotion, do any of the dealers/installers have information on what the offer will be?

19. mikeissurreal

mikeissurreal New Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Montana
    Haven't heard yet but I will share as soon as I know. I'm a little bit more down the food chain though.

20. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    hope we find out something soon nba pre season starts october 7,BTW will does directv still carry the preseason games? I checked my tivo guide and no games listed with verizon fios yet.