1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL blackout on ESPN?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JohnVT, Sep 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnVT

JohnVT Mentor

Jan 30, 2005
    ok - I really care more about the Saints game, which appears to be staying on ABC, but if I tune to 206, ESPN, I get a "blackout" message...
    Why is the Dallas/Washington game blacked out in Vermont?
    Is this a mistake?
    :confused:

2. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    That game should be on ABC once the Saints game moves to ESPN. Not sure how to answer your question....maybe because the people in NY and the gulf coast area are still going to get the saints game.

3. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    This sucked. I was psyched to watch the game in HD when it switched to ESPN (No OTA antenna yet). Uh uh. ESPN blackout in NY. CMon guys. You own both stations.

Oh well, at least my GMen won the game. I agree it was rough for the Saints as we get basically 9 home games this year. (Local fans were giddy as it was the first time in 40 years people could walk up to the box office and get tickets for a game on the SAME DAY - just about every seat belongs to a season ticket holder)

4. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    Aren't blackout rules established by the NFL and the networks simply do follow the rule? I'm sure networks would LOVE to air every game they could since it would give them great ad revenues.

5. Ken Howe

Ken Howe Legend

Aug 9, 2005
    the off air antenna is only 150 at the door bro, go get it. ^_^

6. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Yeah, but it's the roof mount to the chimney, home run pulls (80 ft. AFTER I get it to the basement), and the ugly factor. Right now my dishes are mounted on the roof, aiming up and they can't be seen from the front yard. That changes with the 1958 looking antenna......

GUARANTEED the day after I install it, Charlie turns on HD feeds from New York.....

7. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I was looking forward to the switch to ESPN also, being the signal here was out more than it was in.

8. JohnVT

JohnVT Mentor

Jan 30, 2005
    so the Saints/Giants stayed on ABC, and ESPN told me whatever was supposed to be there was blacked out. What did happen?
    I didn't mind being able to see all of the Saints/Giants, but who saw the Cowboys/Redskins?

9. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    The Saints went to ESPN. Certain areas of the country kept the game on ABC, I believe the Gulf Coast but I'm not 100% sure.

I got both games - Saints on ESPN and Cowboys on ABC

10. JohnVT

JohnVT Mentor

Jan 30, 2005
    thanks -
    I was just curious. The Saints stayed on ABC in Burlington, Vermont...
    And when I tried a few times, ESPN was blank with the blackout message.

oh well.

11. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Your local station screwed up (unless Burlington is a part of the Giants territory). Did you check the ESPN Alt. feed? One or the other (i.e. ESPN or ESPN Alt.) was to be available via sat to everyone.

If your local station is in the Giants or Saints area then "regular" MNF game (Wash at Dal) was to be in the clear on ESPN. If your local station had the regular game ESPN was balcked out - forcing you to watch your local ABC.

The goofy thing is - for the majority of the country you had to change channels half-way through the game to catch it all (the beginning of the NYG/NO Saints game was on ABC the ending was on ESPN). Only stations in the 2 market areas stayed with the early game all the way through.

This was not very well thought out, but at least it gave everyone a choice of games to watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.