1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL : Colts head coach Tony Dungy announces retirement

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Steve615, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
  2. Smthkd

Smthkd Icon

Sep 1, 2004
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A sad sad day for the NFL!!:nono2:

3. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    I must agree that this is a sad day for the NFL, but I fully understand his reasons. I couldn't bear to be away from my family as he has over this past year. He is one class act gentleman and will be missed greatly I'm sure.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    He will be missed... but going out on your own terms means something AND this is a guy who has plans to do a lot more post-football stuff that is important to him also so hard to blame him for going out on a high note.

5. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Good move for Tony, too bad for the NFL. They are losing a class act. I remember Tony from way back in his University of Minnesnowta days. He's always been a leader that could be counted on throwing everything into his efforts. I wish him success in his future efforts also.

6. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    WOW!!!!:eek2: I didn't see that coming!! He is truly a class act and he will definately be missed by the players as well as the rest of the Colts organization!!!

7. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    Since Dungy and Peyton came together in Indy, I've become somewhat of a bandwagon Colts fan, so there's a part of me that was sad to hear that Tony had chosen to retire.

On the other hand, he gets to be with his family now. Even though he spent alot of hours at the office, and he had a private jet available to fly home to see his son's football games on the weekend, it had to be horrible being halfway across the country from his family.

I've found it particularly interesting today.... in the world of professional sports, we all know that coaches and players alike are judged on wins and losses. And yet, so many of the articles today are focusing on Tony Dungy 'the man', not Tony Dungy 'the coach'. I can't recall another coach retiring and having the focus be so much on the off the field stuff.

One of my favorite articles I've read today:
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-7-74/A-Dungy-story-you-may-not-have-heard.html

The NFL definitely lost a good man today.

8. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
    On another Colts related note,Jim Caldwell is being introduced as the team's new head coach live on NFL Network at this time.

9. Pepster

Pepster Legend

Oct 29, 2008
    Tony's been hinting at this for a couple of years now. He's got some faith based things going on in his life & retiring will now give him the opportunity to expand those. As you stated, he's been "ALL" class & the N.F.L. was made better by his presence.

10. rey_1178

rey_1178 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Florida
    I hope it goes well for him. he's an excellent coach and even a better person.