1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

NFL fights to save its TV “blackout rule”

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Mark Holtz, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    From ARS Technica:

NFL fights to save its TV “blackout rule”
    Despite $9B revenue, NFL says blackout rule needed to keep football on free TV.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It is NOT free when people buy the Sunday Ticket , etc. That is a definite to do away with the rule.
    I was going to get it for my son a couple of years ago and all he was going to see of his favorite team was 2 more games than without it. 2 games was absolutely not worth the price for it.

3. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Free? I didn't know that ABC CBS and FOX stopped asking providers for money for their stations and espn and the NFL network became over the air free stations.

1 person likes this.
  4. Bronxiniowa

Bronxiniowa New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Free? Since when did product manufacturers stop passing the cost of TV advertising onto their customers?

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, if you get it for one particular team it diminishes the value, particularly if they get a lot of national games, plus games played with a local team. At that point it makes a lot less sense.

I'm just not convinced that it really affects the crowds at the stadium. Those that go to the games go for a reason. Those that would watch on TV aren't suddenly going to go out and get a ticket just because it's blacked out, at least not to any large degree.

6. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I do see the free part in that when a game is on a pay network - ESPN, NFL Network, etc a local OTA channel in the teams home market carries the game. However I dont think it affects attendance at all, anyone who wants to go to a game will go anyway and I would be surprised if you could find a hundred TV watchers who would decide to buy tickets if a game was blacked out