1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

NFL Football HD question

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by mwhip, Oct 2, 2006.

1. mwhip

mwhip AllStar

Aug 17, 2006
    I am in Dallas and was watching the Cowboy game on FOX. Every now and then the signal would go from HD to SD...I think. The game would be widescreen with DD 5.1 then it would go to non widescreen (not sure what you call it) and the sound would not be DD. This happened about 5 times for 5 minutes or less. It was just odd I know that DirecTV has to turn off HDnet or TNT HD to help with Sunday ticket but not sure what caused this.

2. Pragmatic Lemur

Pragmatic Lemur AllStar

Sep 20, 2006

It is called 4:3 or 4 by 3. Anytime you are watching a live HD feed, you run the risk of seeing technical difficulties. This last week was the first week in which I saw the Colts entire game with no issues. Last week, the DD kept going out and coming back. Sometimes the picture leaves completely. I haven't seend a 16:9 HD feed go to 4:3 on Directv before, but I am sure it is possible. I have seen it on Cable plenty of times. It usually isn't the provider though. On a live broadcast like that, it is usually the broadcast itself.

3. sdsanta

sdsanta Cool Member

Feb 21, 2006
    I've also noticed that the picture will switch to SD if the network is broadcasting an alert or notice. For instance, one time ABC had a severe weather crawl at the bottom of the screen. Everytime the crawl came on the picture went from HD to SD.