1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL Network HD....No DD Surround Sound??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Mrmiami, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Mrmiami

Mrmiami Legend

Oct 3, 2006
    So I tune in to Watch the Chicago/Miami game last night turn on my receiver and find out although broadcast in High Def it is not in DD or 5.1 audio. Did anyone else have that issue or is this just another one of the many problems with these 24-500 receivers? This sometimes you get DD sound sometimes you don't is getting a little annoying for the amount of money we've had to invest in these DECA, new and improved receivers complete with picture breakup (pixalation) on every single broadcast show or DVR'ed show you care about. Woo-Hoo what a great deal to be able to record and play imperfect shows from any location on any TV in the house. To say I'm a little PO'ed would be an understatement, what the he!! happened to D* service and customer satifaction?

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    It's probably being broadcast DD2.0, which is perfectly acceptable for an HD sports broadcast, not everything in the world is in DD5.1......

3. jdh8668

jdh8668 Legend

Nov 7, 2007
    I'd say that's the way the NFL channel sent it down. No 5.1 on my HR20 or 21

4. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    It's the NFL network, not your HR24. Not every HD channel sends down DD 5.1. HD doesn't equal Dolby Digital

5. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Yep, it's been that way from the beginning. I use the DSP functions of my HT amp to give me pseudo-multi-channel output and find it very easy to live with. Much of the crowd noise comes out the rear surround speakers, and the dialogue dominates the center channel. For football, I can live with it. I much prefer it to "all channel stereo".

So, if you find yourself confined to a DD 2.0 source, try PL II - Music (Pro Logic II - Music). It derives/synthesizes the two channel source into some separation that can serve as a "make do" for football games.

I use this same trick when watching NetFlix from the DD optical output on my Samsung HDTV. It will only output DD 2.0 on the optical out, so I use the settings above and find watching even movies to be quite acceptable.

6. Mrmiami

Mrmiami Legend

Oct 3, 2006
    Ah, that's what I had hoped... for it to be on the Networks side of fault, so thanks to all for your responses and yes, I do understand not everything in the world is in DD 5.1 sound but I have had this happen to me on numerous Movie channels that are HD and clearly stated in the info as also being in Dolby Digital yet not be broadcast as such. Others have also had this issue with this 20-500 receiver in the past and is a known problem on occasion which is part of the reason why I inquired in the first place, since it has more or less caused me to just leave my Denon receiver shut off. That and along with the audio dropouts/stuttering has basically left me just listening through the TV speakers, so since this was my first time using both together in a long time I just figured the problem had never gone away.

7. TEN89

TEN89 Legend

Jun 27, 2003
    Guess he want to hear the football go past his ears.

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Don't forget, it IS in DD....just not every channel is always in 5.1....Pretty much every HD channel will be DD, but there is no guarantee beyond 2.0 for may channels, and that is almost always a problem at the source, where they are not even sending out 5.1 audio.

9. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    I honestly cannot believe what I am reading. DD 5.1 is a necessity for HD sports broadcasts these days. Every single HD sports broadcast should be DD 5.1.

10. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I thought I heard a Commercial from the NFL Network that stated "NFL Soon To Be In DD 5.1" so maybe they are working on it but haven't the means to deliver it at this time.

11. Santi360HD

Santi360HD Icon

Oct 6, 2008
    New York City
    you're right again here Hoosier, my god ..who in this day n age would complain about a HD broadcast let alone sound quality not being up to par???? ...I would take any sound quality if it'd get me AMC/BBCA/IFC/TCM/Sundance in HD on D*..

i mean damn if it just isnt DD 5.1 I'll just watch the game thru a screen door like on their SD channels offer same picture quality as my screen door...

NOT...

I'm happy with whatever the sound quality is as long as it's in HD

end :) game on

12. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    It may be one's expectation, but hardly necessary for me. HD first and foremost, DD 5.1 is nice. Where there are a lot of special effects, I can understand the disappointment in lack of dd 5.1, but for sports, I just don't see it. With the ability of a good HT amp to synthesize and redistribute (especially crowd noise for ambiance), I can live with it.

Special effects in movies, that's a different matter...but hey, to each his own.

13. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Well, for the true home theater enthusiast audio is just as important as video. HD sports with out proper DD 5.1 just doesn't cut it.

14. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well, I bought an HD PPV just to try it out several months ago and it was The Bourne Ultimatum and supposed delivered in Glorious HD with DD Surround Sound but it was delivered in DD 2.1 instead of DD 5.1.

I called Directv and they wouldn't give me a Refund or Acknowledge that there was a problem (stupid CSR) so I asked to be transferred to Customer Retention where I explained the problem and after talking to the Technical Dept. she Refunded my money as it was indeed verified to be in DD 2.1.

I just hope they have fixed this problem as who wants an Action Movie in DD Stereo!!! :lol:

15. rpiotro

rpiotro Mentor

Apr 29, 2008
    A sports stadium is not a controlled environment like a movie set. The sound field is always on the move. How exactly would you mic something like that?

16. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Yes, I have always thought about how they could present the Masters Golf Tournament in DD 5.1 which they do??? Just how does that work? Are there multiple mics stationed around the golfer as he hit his shot?

17. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Basically from what I've seen, the crowd noise is the surround, since that's relatively static as far as movement goes. The game action comes off of the center channel.

18. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I don't usually watch football with my surround system on but when I do there is frequently some loud obnoxious fan yelling in my ear.

19. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Yeah... I hear ya. I get the same thing... and what they're saying depends on which speaker I'm near :lol:

20. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    It's OK to rant, but its alive and well. A minority of customers with technical services will always have individual problems. Sounds like that's where you are right now.

What separates good service from bad service is how well they work to fix a problem when you have one, but since it is an individual issue rather than a sweeping issue affecting all of us, you working with them to fix it is also required. They have a good track record. Take advantage of that.

Ranting serves the purpose of temporarily relieving the pressure of frustration, but in the end does absolutely nothing to fix the problem or relieve that frustration permanently.

I feel your pain, but that doesn't really help either. Good luck.

As far as DD on games, DD in remote trucks (needed for games) is not ubiquitous quite yet. Some games just won't have it.