1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL Package

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by EaglePC, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EaglePC

EaglePC Icon

Apr 14, 2007
    Hello I know we all feel this way if you go to directv's website you see there giving the nfl package for 69.00 4 month install payments and mostly all there channels free for 4 months

:nono: TO NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY!!!!

kind of sad i am a 10 yr customer feel treated not for me i am paying close to 80.00 a month been for years

2. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    They have been doing that deal for years for new customers and they do it for a reason. To draw in new customers. Am I sad about it?!! Not in the least.

3. bto4wd

bto4wd Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Apr 17, 2007
    WTF, why wouldn't you be sad about new customers getting a better deal than yourself? I don't like it one bit. I know it's the way they do things, but that doesn't make it acceptable. That comment makes no sense at all to me.

"Sure, I'm glad to pay list price for everything and I won't complain at all.". :eek2:

4. morbid_fun

morbid_fun Godfather

Jan 16, 2007
    I am not sad about the situation either. Everyone has had a new customer offer of some kind and those offers are only once. Why expect an offer like that for each year or every few years? There are specials for good tenured customers (programming discount, one receiver every 6mths or a year, etc.), but nothing will be like a new customer deal.

Personally, compared to some other providers in my area, DirecTV provides me a great deal on service even at normal pricing. That has not changed for me in the past five years.

5. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I am not sad or mad about the deal that DIRECTV is offering new customers. Why would I. It is the same deal that I got years ago when I signed up and all companies do the same thing for new customers. Just like Comcast and Verizon. They give their new customer the Triple play deal for $99 for a year and then you bill goes through the roof. This is a great deal for DIRECTV to bring new customer in and with giving them the Premier package for free they hope the customers will like it and just keep it.

6. UTVLamented

UTVLamented Legend

Oct 18, 2006
    As morbid_fun said, everyone gets the new customer offer once, so that is fair. Directv has treated me great over the 10 years I have been with them so I do not feel they are being unfair with new customer only offers.

7. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    How is this sad or treating you unfairly? I assume you had your "new sub" deal when you joined 10 years ago? ANd I don't even want to know what they offer 10 yr subs since I will be in yr 1 and won't see those deals you do for some time.

So let's do the math. You pay $80 a month and want the $69 a month NFL with free programming for 4 months.

Just 4 months for this scenario since we are all the same after that.
    $279 for NFL for me
    $229 for NFL for you

So getting the NFL package deal you would pay $44 less over those 4 months ($11 per month) than you pay right now. What you fail to see though is that you are also paying $50 more for the NFL package so it really is a $6 overage. We'll call it a wash.

So you get $50 off as being a D* sub but I get charged the full price? Is that fair? Of course it is. I get the "programming deal" of what is essentially a "freeview" in return for paying FULL PRICE for the football package.

So, for that $50 extra I pay I get the "freeview" of the programming.

Don't forget this also just cost me $200 for the HDDVR which ALOT of current long term subs are getting free.

Over 4 months I pay $279 and $200 for my equipment for a total of $479
    Over 4 months you pay $229 and $320 ($80 x 4months) for a total of $549

So I ask you, is a whopping $70 difference that we pay in the first four months justification for me becoming 1 more person to join D* to further line the pockets of D* to be able to bring us all better programming and service? I am sure if you call D* and bitch about it they very well might give you the $70 in credits.

Is the $70 "discount" over 4 months fair to get another sub? I think so.

8. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    So those of us that bought HR10-250s for $1000 to be the first should be upset that those that waited a couple of years got them for around $300?

9. jhillestad

jhillestad Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
    Its very common for early adopters to get pee'd on by companies ...

Look at the Playstation3 - now if you buy one you get 5 blu ray movies. Its not retro active so a new buyer today pays a hundred less and gets 5 free blu ray movies...

I dont like it either - its a way of flipping off your long time customers who have been faithful .... and to the people that think this is okay I wonder if your local favorite restaurant pulled this I wonder how you'd react ? New customers get 30% off - oh your a regular no discount for you... were only trying to get newbies...

DTV has you over a barrel and they know it.... there's nothing you can do but if this marketing was pulled at your local market or restaurant I can assure you it would NOT work... diluting your product to attract newbies makes your old customers feel ripped off and not appreciated .

10. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    I say tolerate your prospects and love your customers

11. hrobbs

hrobbs AllStar

Jan 22, 2007
    You're sad, I cancelled the NFLST twice - once in January, and again last month. Just got my last bill, and they added it back on. I've had it for over 10 years, and it's getting so watered down with the Thursday, Saturday games it's not worth it.

12. schlar01

schlar01 Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    Its no different than any other subscription company. Charter has a deal for phone/3 megabit internet/digital cable for $79.99 per month for NEW customers and I pay $100+ for just for cable/internet. Every company that tries to get new customers will always have steals that you aren't going to get as a current customer.

From what I've heard, you can call and tell them you don't want it anymore, only to get a free HD receiver, $10 a month credit, or some other kind of incentive to keep it so its not like you have no options.

13. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    The restaurant analogy doesn't fit unless there are restaurants that you can subscribe to. The new customer deals are incentives for people to go through the pain of switching providers. It's common in cable/satellite, home phone, cell phone, and internet industries. Why? Because it's a pain to switch, and when you do, they have you locked into paying a monthly bill. It doesn't make sense in restaurants or other industries where you make a separate purchasing decision every time you go out.

Makes total sense for D* (and others) to do it. If you want a new deal, you have to switch providers.

14. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    My "new customer" deal 11 years ago was to pay $650 for a single LNB dish and Sony receiver along with $50 for a self installation kit since nobody installed these things back then. ;) In other words there was no such thing as a new subscriber deal. Oh wait, there was. If I prepaid for a years programming I got $150 off and I also got $15 a month off USSB programming. So yes, I did get something.

But anyway, no, I'm not upset by the new subscriber deal. Why should I? Every company has one nowadays. If I want a deal on Sunday Ticket I can call and play CSR roulette. I rarely bother other then to get Superfan for free or discounted.

15. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    It seems to me it would make sense for D* to do something like this for those who are out of contract. It would get current customers who are out of contract committed for two more years:, a customer whom D* already knows pays on time, already has the equipment, etc.

16. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Totally agree with that. Certainly not the deal to get new customers but something very close as an incentive to re-up for another 2 years. That way they know you are in for at least 2 more years of revenue stream.

A package of free PPV movies, a free pay channel suite for a year, a free upgrade/addition to the "high end" equipment (HDDVR), would be a few ideas. A one time credit might even be good, like a $100 loyalty bonus or the such.

17. ohio69

ohio69 Mentor

Nov 3, 2006
    and to think I got pi**ed when it went from 99 bucks to 129!
    Sunday Ticket is 279.00 now, holy crap!

18. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    The only thing that irks me is the extra $100 for HD. I could care less about new customer deals (10+ year customer here -- so I've seen many new customer deals).

Given how everything else is treated in HD (HBO, etc.) paying more than the $200+ should get me the games in HD for NFLST. If I want the REDZONE channel, etc. -- fine charge me the $100 more.

Still, NFLST is my biggest reason to be with DTV.

19. bto4wd

bto4wd Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Apr 17, 2007
    I agree completely. When D* added SF and charged $100 extra is when I had to start questioning the investment. I had HD the year before included with ST. Now, just to get HD you have to purchase SF.

Plus, as mentioned previously in this thread, more and more games each season are scheduled outside the ST hours on Sunday (Thursdays, Mondays, even Saturdays and then nights). The need for ST is dropping every season but the price never will.

I completely understand the logic behind offering new subscribers a deal. But I also believe that loyal customers should also be treated as such and not just recurring revenue.

20. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    No kidding man that was way back when. I keep saying I am going to drop it but every year I do it again but it is watered down these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.