1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

NFL Preseason Games

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by kenpac89, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Aug 4, 2008 #1 of 23
    kenpac89

kenpac89 Legend

Jan 3, 2006
    Will I be able to watch live NFL pre-season games that are only being shown regionally if I have the Sports Pack? I know the NFL Network will air every game eventually, but I don't like to watch re-runs. But, if I could watch games here and there live, then that would be nice.

2. Aug 4, 2008 #2 of 23
    Red Dog

Red Dog Godfather

Aug 3, 2008
    Good question, although I'm not sure how many teams include a RSN as part of their preseason affiliate network. The Redskins (CSN-MA) and Ravens (MASN) do. I think Pittsburgh does too (FSN-Pitt), but I'm not sure how many others do.

3. Aug 4, 2008 #3 of 23
    bscott

bscott Legend

Jun 4, 2004
    Few of the RSN's allow you to watch preseason games from out of market. That is not an NFL or DirecTV issue, the teams themselves hold the rights to the preseason games that haven't been given to CBS, FOX, NBC, ESPN or the NFL Network. The NFL network usually through the week eventually shows all the games that were televised on delay. A few years ago, lot's of the RSN's allowed subscribers with the Sports Pack to see the games. Last year I don't think I found but maybe a couple.

4. Aug 4, 2008 #4 of 23
    gpg

gpg DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    If you're asking if you will be able to watch out-of-market games live through Sports Pack, based on past seasons the answer is no. Every once in a while a game slips through, but those mistakes are very rare.

I'd love to see the preseason blackouts eliminated, but I'm afraid the NFL Network replays are all we're likely to get.

5. Aug 4, 2008 #5 of 23
    dtrell

dtrell Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    the nfl preseason games have nothing at all to do with sports pack. sports pack has regional sports networks, only few of which broadcast nfl games. nfl preseason games are shown on local affiliates...for the most part.

6. Aug 4, 2008 #6 of 23
    kenpac89

kenpac89 Legend

Jan 3, 2006
    Some of them do show games. I know that the Redskins and Ravens have their games on RSNs (I live in their area), and I know the Pittsburgh RSN shows the Steeler games.

7. Aug 4, 2008 #7 of 23
    joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    But you can only get them if you live in their market.

8. Aug 4, 2008 #8 of 23
    dtrell

dtrell Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    thats why i said only a few. i live in ohio and fox sports ohio and sports time ohio are our regional networks and all browns preseason games are shown on local channel 3 only.

9. Aug 4, 2008 #9 of 23
    dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    nfln doesnt replay the games that were on national tv fox, cbs, nbc, espn.

10. TANK

TANK Icon

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA

Both Ravens and Redskins games were black outed for outside viewing areas last year.

11. RonOhio

RonOhio Member

Jan 1, 2007
    SportsTime Ohio shows replays of Browns games in HD. I don't think D* will carry in HD though.

http://www.sportstimeohio.com/programming/?month=8&day=8&year=2008

12. lowmazda

lowmazda Legend

Jul 11, 2007
    Umm..

If Directv passes on the feed of Sportstime Ohio HD they receive, how would they not show it in whatever format STO shows it?

Talking about AFTER Directv turns it in to a 24/7 channel.

EDIT:

I see your posting a link for this week. It won't be in HD. Wait till next week.

13. RonOhio

RonOhio Member

Jan 1, 2007
  14. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    Some of the preseason games are live on your local channels. Here in los angeles i believe ktla and kcal show the raiders and i beleive the rams and or chargers.

15. SF49ers

SF49ers Mentor

Sep 18, 2007
    i think DTV should put the preseason game on NFL sunday ticket

16. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    It's not up to them, and it's not even up to the NFL. Unlike the regular season, each individual team owns the TV rights to their pre-season games. So DirecTV would have to work out separate deals with all 32 teams, which just isn't worth the hassle.

17. HJJ

HJJ Cool Member

Oct 8, 2006
    I seem to remember seeing a couple of national preseason games re-broadcast on NFL Network. It is not like they do not have rights to them since they re-broadcast regular season games with NFL replay. The NFL Network pre-season games usually are the local broadcasts for each team alternating at halftime.

This is really the best time to have NFL Network since you have access to virtually all preseason games. Most of the games will be in HD and about 8 of them will be live. Here is a link to their upcoming presason schedule:

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d809476d7&template=with-video&confirm=true

18. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    i checked the scheds fast & i cant see a national game that nfln is replaying....if u can find any let me know id be interested to see if they changed policy because i thought that was always the case.

19. jhstn58

jhstn58 Cool Member

May 28, 2007
    Last year NFLN DID replay a lot of the (non-network) pre-season games. If I recall correctly, they played them throughout the weekend the games were played. I saw every Steelers pre-game last year as a result. if they do it again this year, be mindful that your team's game can be at anytime day or night, so check the listings.

20. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Probably most of the locally produced Preseason games will not be in HD.