1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

NFL Red Zone

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Moosestache, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Moosestache

Moosestache AllStar

Dec 7, 2009
    Any word on whether or not Directv plans to add this channel?

2. tgater

tgater Godfather

Jul 24, 2007
    It's part of the NFLST.

3. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    :beatdeadhorse:
    D* will not add the channel from the NFL network as they have a competing channel of their own.

4. Moosestache

Moosestache AllStar

Dec 7, 2009
    So I have to buy the Sunday Ticket for $250 or so to get something then pay an additional $99 for Super Fan to get red zone which is included in a $5 sports package on another satellite system, or for free on comcast.

I'm new here but that seems odd.

5. Big Dawg 23

Big Dawg 23 AllStar

Oct 14, 2008
    That's how it goes. There is no other option and I don't see it changing.

6. Moosestache

Moosestache AllStar

Dec 7, 2009
    I guess I could always make my buddies bring the beer on Sundays and watch the games at my house. It wouldn't take too long to make that a winning proposition.

7. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Legend

Oct 11, 2007
    You can always switch to the other satellite system or comcast if that works better for you. ;)

8. Moosestache

Moosestache AllStar

Dec 7, 2009
    Wow thanks! Actually I can't switch to comcast.

9. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Unfortunately, as others have mentioned its doubtful that D* will ever carry the NFLN version of RZ. It would cannibalize their NFL ST subscriptions, since many subscribers get it mainly for the RZ channel. They sure don't want to give up $399 for NFLST + SF, for the NFLN RZ @ $5/mo.

10. ThePrisoner

ThePrisoner Legend

Jul 11, 2009
    I like Red Zone at half-time or if the Packers aren't playing. I'd rather have every Packers game than just Red Zone though.

11. Moosestache

Moosestache AllStar

Dec 7, 2009
    The super fan stuff looks amazing.

12. njblackberry

njblackberry Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    Many subscribers get the NFL ST just for the Red Zone Channel?

13. Moosestache

Moosestache AllStar

Dec 7, 2009
    Nope, but I bet some subscribers who currently get the NFL ST would think pretty hard about paying all the money to get it when they could have the Red Zone instead.

14. njblackberry

njblackberry Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    I'll take that bet.
    Red Zone Channel is icing on the cake, but not the cake itself.

I have NFL ST for the games, not for RZC or player stats.

15. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I may have misled you by saying many. I didn't mean the majority of subscribers, but a certain percentage. There was a poll done on this forum and it was around 10% of the subscribers that get NFLST for RZ. I personally get NFLST to see my favorite team, since I'm a transplant. Hardly ever watch RZ channel and actually watch the Mix channel more often.

16. GreatPig

GreatPig DBSTalk Club Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I never watch RZ. I'd rather switch between the games. BUT I'd watch the Mix channel most of the time if they didn't waste so much real estate with borders.

As a Cowboys fan in south Alabama as long as D* is the only source for NFL ST, I'm a customer.

17. dave29

dave29 DIRECTV A-Team

Feb 18, 2007
    Cake isn't any good without the icing though. :)

18. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Ahh, my first poll: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=164805

19. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    What I'm hoping happens next season is DirecTV will offer thier RZC A La Carte for $75-$100 for the season.....bottom line is I'm not going to be a ST subscriber next season and I'll be at 22 months of my commitment so if they don't offer an alternative to NFL RedZone that doesn't cost more than $100, I'll gladly pay them the $40 ETF, return my 6 boxes, and call another provider :)

20. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    Not to split hairs but it's about 30% of people who subscribe to NFLST. It was about 10% of the people who took the poll. Now granted that's a very small sample size and not really quantifiable.

With the success of the RZC for other carriers I think there will be some changes next year. Including what other companies pay for that channel. NFL was smart with how they did it this year. They got a ton of people hooked on it. I could see them charging up to 25 a month just for this channel. Fans have already proven that we'll spend tons of money to watch our football.