1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL ST and Super Fan Channel Lineup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by ICM2000, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICM2000

ICM2000 Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    From a D* email received at 5:00PM

New Channel Lineup—2007

699: Weekly Game Schedules
    701: Player Tracker
    702: Game Mix††
    703: Red Zone Channel (SD)
    704 – 717:NFL SUNDAY TICKET Games (SD) 718: Red Zone Channel (HD)
    719 – 727:NFL SUNDAY TICKET Games (HD) 728 – 729: Shortcuts

2. HouseBowlrz

HouseBowlrz Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    Centreville, VA
    I've enclosed the e-mail I received ...

What bothers me here is that NFL-ST has 14 channels dedicated for SD broadcasts, which is the maximum on any week. However, they're only allocating nine channels for HD games.

As they boast up to 12 ... (and there will likely be a minimum of 10 on any week) ... does that mean two games on the same channel? And what happens if the early game runs late? And we're actually paying extra for that?

:nono2: :mad: :nono2: :mad:

3. luckydob

luckydob Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    It more than likely means that CBS is still dropping the ball on HD broadcasts. Not really a D* thing. Plus you get the Monday/Sunday night games in HD...also will have the Thrusday game in HD on NFL Network.

4. Gary Toma

Gary Toma UNIX DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2006
    It sure looks like a couple of the HD channels will need to be re-used each week. With CBS now only doing 5 games a week, we will have at most 11 HD games on Sunday Ticket in any one day.

An interesting observation: this year's advertising about the 8-Game Mix channel doesn't mention having TWO channels. They only mention the MIX on channel 702. That would lead you to believe there will be only one MIX, that will display the same 8 channels all day long. Three or four of those channels will be used for the early broadcast and then "re-used" for the afternoon broadcast.

Not an elegant solution, eh?

5. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    MLB EI has only one game mix channel and there are more than 8 games going on very often. They just choose which ones they will put on.

The two channel mix thing was awkward anyway.

6. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The channel re-use is not elegant, but may be the most simplistic approach at present. Probably the most elegant would be to move all HD NFL games to D10 and MPEG4 and then double up the channels with both HD & SD versions of each game. They should just have one game/channel though and with freed up bandwidth (once on D10) why not replay that game a few times each week (or over and over) on that same channel?

7. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    yeah, i didn't really like the 2 channel game mix anyway. I do wish it was in HD, though. I probably won't use it until it is.

And Doug, I wonder if D* has the rights to the complete games. That might belong to the NFL Network as they show a few full-game replays during the week. It would be cool if all of them got replayed, though.

8. Gary Toma

Gary Toma UNIX DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2006
    Doug,
    I think the real stumbling block, time and again, is the limited functionality of the HR10 receivers (maybe H10 receivers too?). Anyone with an HR10, who paid for Superfan, forces DIRECTV to provide all the HD games and feautures in the MPEG2 protocol. Once that concession is made, all the elegance goes out the window.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.