1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL SundayTicket / Superfan Overload?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Gary Toma, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Gary Toma

Gary Toma UNIX DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2006
    Working though formatting for the Weekly NFL 2008 Regular Season Schedules, I stopped to stare at Week 17:

On Sunday, December 28th, DIRECTV needs to broadcast 15 (yes, all but 1) games on SundayTicket. And **IF* CBS comes through with an All-HD plan, as FOX has, then Superfan will have 15 HD games to broadcast. And 13 of those 15 HD games are simultaneous, all at 1:00 pm EST.

Even the DIRECTV channel numbering plan for Superfan only provides for 8 simultaneous HD broadcasts. (The channel numbering plan for SundayTicket only allows for 14 maximum games!)

I think we'll have an answer to all the questions about just how much bandwidth the new D-11 satellite can support!! And hopefully, we'll get some new channel number assignments too. Last year's exercise in re-using channel numbers from the early Sunday games for late Sunday games was a less-than-elegant technical answer.

2. capnlando13

capnlando13 AllStar

Mar 24, 2007
    Are the games going to be shown in the new format this year. I can't remember what MPEG-2 or MPEG-4.

3. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    The games will be MPEG4 this year.

4. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    757 & 718
    if there going to be MP-4 this year i would assume they would use a "-1" for the channel number just like there doing for MLB superfan.

so if this is the case than all games would have an HD channel.

5. dwk78

dwk78 AllStar

Sep 17, 2006
    Actually, if it is like years past it probably won't be an issue. I believe in years past, all games in the east and central time zones were scheduled for early games and mountain and west, were late games. However, as it gets closer to those dates, I am pretty sure, they change the start times of some of the more attractive games in the east to the late time slot.

I would imagine there will be probably about 5 late games on the last week. At least, I think that is how they have done it in the past.

6. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    Yup, some games will be moved later based on what the networks want to do.

7. Gary Toma

Mar 22, 2006
    The Week 17 Schedule has 13 games at 1:00 pm EST and 3 games at 4:15 pm EST.

One (1) of the afternoon (4:15) games will be moved to the NBC 8:15 pm EST slot. That leaves 15 games on NFL SundayTicket. Thirteen (13) of those games are played at 1:00 pm EST.

Please read the NFL press release preceeding the 2008 schedule. That's it folks.

8. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    That is some good info gct. I don't know what they are going to do either but that is going to be a heck of a lot of HD (come on D11).

Glad I'm almost done remodeling my basement. Should have a few more HDTV's but week 17 and THANK YOU for giving me a deadline to get them installed.

9. Derwood

Derwood AllStar

Dec 18, 2006
    Wonder why they didn't have any Saturday games that week? Because of bowl games?

10. jhillestad

jhillestad Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
    They will just hand pick games NOT to show like they did for the Miami Dolphins last year... So if your team is doing lousy it will be the game that gets the boot.... (unless its a New York team) NY team can go winless and get aired but Miami , Oakland , etc ... well your team may get the HD axe like the Dolphins were served last year.... DTV will hand pick games NOT to air in HD... they proved this last year so your favorite team is not safe is they are sucking... unless of course its a New York team... The Jets can be as lousy as they want and will not get the boot...

11. jhollan2

jhollan2 Godfather

Aug 31, 2006
    The Jets will be better this year... I hope...

So if CBS and FOX are going to air the games in HD does that mean that directv will "dumb down" the games to those of us who refuse to pay the SF ransom?

12. Gary Toma

Mar 22, 2006
    Unfortunately, "dumb down" will be the new way of life. We are now into those times when the only feed coming out of a sports event will be an HD feed. For those who choose to pay only for SD, they'll get the 'dumb down' version.

Here's what's ahead: to save bandwidth, that one single HD feed will make it all the way to your receiver. No bandwidth will be wasted on a parallel SD signal. Your receiver will know whether you have paid for HD or not. Your receiver will provide you the product that you have paid for.

13. jhollan2

jhollan2 Godfather

Aug 31, 2006
    Sounds like a slingbox is in my future... plenty of family in NY...

14. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    CBS is NOT coming through with all games on HD. Looks like they'll be short one each week is the latest. And yes, all games will be in MPEG4. For those of you with SuperFan that still have MPEG2, you're eligible for a free swap. Get on the phone!

15. Gary Toma

Mar 22, 2006
    Satelliteracer - Can you share your source of info please? I've not been able to get a definitive answer from anyone regarding CBS HD games.

When CBS is this tight-lipped about their plans, I fear they know that the news they have to share will not draw a round of applause.

16. bills976

bills976 Godfather/Supporter

Jun 30, 2002
    Actually this situation is unlikely to happen. The NFL will likely flex several of the 1PM games to the 4PM timeslot as they have done in years past.

17. bills976

bills976 Godfather/Supporter

Jun 30, 2002
    An example:

Sunday, Dec. 28 Miami Dolphins at New York Jets 1 p.m. CBS
    Sunday, Dec. 28 New York Giants at Minnesota Vikings 1 p.m. FOX

That TV situation is impossible - the Giants and Jets cannot play simultaneously. Several (3-4) games will be moved to the 4PM slot.

18. rcoleman111

rcoleman111 Guest

Some of those 1:00 pm games will be shifted to 4:15pm in week 17. Take a look at last season's week 17 schedule. There were 11 games originally scheduled for 1 pm and just 3 games scheduled for 4:15 pm. The schedule was adjusted in the last few days before the games so that there were 8 games at 1 pm, 6 games at 4:15 pm, and 1 game at 8:15 pm.

19. hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan Godfather

May 24, 2007
    What are you talking about? The Giants and Jets can and have played simultaneously before. Just as long as both games are not both at Giants Stadium. (Miami @ NY Jets... NY Giants @ Minnesota) So this is actually possible.

20. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Possible but not plausible -- the NFL definitely tries their darnedest to keep the Giants and Jets, and the 49ers and Raiders, from playing at the same time. (Unless they're playing each other, of course. :) )

I agree with some of the other posters in this thread that those Week 17 start times are only tentative.