1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NGC HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Slyster, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slyster

Slyster Icon

May 17, 2005
    OK... so after all these weeks and weeks of 'sneak peaks' when are they finally going to start this thing? Geeze! :(

And.. are there more on the way? TLC, PBS, SCI, TRAV etc?

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    This has been beaten to death. Not til the new sat(s) go live, some time 2- 3 months or so after the scheduled launch in June.

3. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Don't know why it's taking this long... Comcast just added NGC HD to my lineup on my SA8300HD...

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Here we go with yet another thread about D* and NGC. :rolleyes:
    I don't know why you don't know why. If you've been keeping
    up with the plethora of redundant posts on this same topic
    from multitudes of anxious D* subs, you should know why.

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Three words; bandwidth.....bandwidth....bandwidth. Hence the need to wait until the new birds go live in Q3 this year (hopefully).

6. skaeight

skaeight Icon

Jan 15, 2004
    This has probably been asked a million times too, but why do they need to wait until 2-3 months after the new satellite has been launched?

7. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Someone who knows more about satellites than I do can give you a more detailed answer, but you don't just pop a bird into orbit and flip a switch. They don't "need to" wait 2-3 months, that's just how long it will take.

8. skaeight

skaeight Icon

Jan 15, 2004
    It just doesn't seem like it took 2-3 months with previous launches. Maybe a month from what I remember when the last spot sat went up (what was that 7s?)

9. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    However long it takes, it is the result of "shake down" and housekeeping. They can't afford to release as sat for use and have the "up/downs".

10. flashfast

flashfast AllStar

Dec 12, 2006
    easy fella' remember: All good things...

11. Slyster

Slyster Icon

May 17, 2005
    ... come to an end. :)

12. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    The Spaceway satellites had a very long in-orbit testing and configuration period before being "turned on" for video. This was because these satellites were using a new frequency band (Ka) not previously used (by DirecTV) for DTH delivery and they employ phased array transmitting antennas, which had also never been done before (by anyone).

Now that they have the Ka experience, I wouldn't be surprised to see the more "traditional" DirecTV 10 & 11 go into service more quickly (more like the usual 4 to 6 weeks after launch).

13. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    The spaceways took a long time to shakedown as they are unique. They are the first Boeing phased-arrays for transmission to earth and therefore EXTREMELY configurable.

D10 and D11 going up this year are more traditional transponder/reflector satellites and "should" be quicker to configure. But it still takes time to unfurl the solar power arrays, test the uplink/downlink facilities (both dish and at the broadcast sites), verify each transponder for strength and location, etc. All that could be as quick as a month, but more likely about 2 months.

Cheers,
    Tom

14. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Look up Thuraya-1. I think you'll be quite surprised. Boeing has been tinkering with phased arrays at both ends since the latter '90s.

It is notable that the Spaceways combined add up to the spotbeam capability of just one of the DirecTV 1x satellites and the power consumption is about the same. Flexibility has a high price. This is why I suggested a while back that they should consider re-purposing the Spaceways back to what they were originally built for.

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    What does the fact that Comcast has it have to do with anything? This IS a D* forum. Last I checked, Crap, er Comcast doesnt use D*'s satelittes for programming.

16. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    ...and thank God for that! :icon_da:

17. max1

max1 Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    We gave up on D adding the NGC channel and Hd we went back with e-Everyone is correct D probably will be getting more HD Channels I would say by the Fall. It was a joke for D to put the channel up in the first place since the sneak peaks were at times you couldn't even watch them. We were disappointed in D's overall service. Max.

18. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    So they shouldn't have put the Sneak Peaks at all?
    Just because they where at a time where you could not watch them?

I managed to get about half of them DVRed and enjoyed the ones that I did.

But hey... Guess it is a joke for them to offer some of NGC's content.

19. nocaster

nocaster Legend

Nov 2, 2006
    I think the Sneak Peaks send a message to subscribers that:

Yes we know you want NGC HD.
    Yes we do have an agreement to show NGC HD.
    Here's a look at what you are missing.
    Stay tuned for more bandwidth.

At least we know that its coming save a catastrophic failure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.