1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NHL:CI frustrations

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Wolly Bugger, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Wolly Bugger

Wolly Bugger Cool Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I'm not a complainer by nature, but I want to see if others are having similar problems. I'm a NHLCI rookie, so maybe it's my fault.

First off, the guide changes every day. I set the DVR to record last night's Flyers game, and when I get home, it's now an "Upcoming" game in the guide and I've got nothing. So I switch it over to the real game in the third period and hit record, then go back to the Phils game. The record light stayed on the entire time. Then, when I go to watch the game, I get one second of black screen and the "Delete Now?" prompt. I fast forwarded and rewinded, but nothing.

This is the third time that I've had that same problem with recording games. Each time, it records the whole game (my wife has made sure the record light was on), but when I get home to watch it, I get the one second black screen and the delete now prompt. What's the story with this? I've done a red button reset several times, and it doesn't change the fact it doesn't record it.

I'm hoping this is an easy fix. There's no way I would have put down $160 for the package knowing this - I don't get home until after the games are over (particularly the East Coast games), so there's no way I can watch them live. Maybe I overlooked something in the package and it's my fault, which is a $160 learning lesson. But I hope not! Any help would be appreciated!

(I should note that I have no problems recording any other program from the DVR)

2. BruinsHockey08

BruinsHockey08 Legend

Sep 29, 2008
    Cranston, RI
    I share the same frustrations as far as the program guide goes, fortunately for me I don't need to reply on a DVR to record the action, which as it turned out was a very thrilling game. I have read some posts about having trouble with DVR's in another thread I think it was the NHL Centre Ice 2008-2009 one.

Another complaint I have is that the Canadian feeds are not in HD, I was thinking they would be based on the fact that MLB Extra Innings had them for some Blue Jays games, which made me think that NHL Center Ice would also have some HD Feeds out of Canada.

Hopefully DirecTV can fix some of these problems so that we can fully enjoy our hockey the way it was meant to be enjoyed

3. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    I'm a noob to the NHL:CI scene too and agree with much of your frustration.

Not sure if HD is a key thing for you or not - it is for me. I've been tracking the RSN schedules and recording the games on the RSN channel instead of the CI channel. I generally get a message stating that it may not record becasue I don't get the channel but it always records fine (so far).

Last night I had an issue with the Fliers game - which I kinda suspected since DirecTV does not carry the RSN covering the game in HD. However they put up a CI channel for it so I gave it a try. It was a bust.

4. Wolly Bugger

Wolly Bugger Cool Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Obviously, I'd love the HD and the dual feeds, but I think that's been covered ad naseum in the other postings and I realize me complaining about it isn't going to change it. I'll take SD if I absolutely must, but for me, the bigger issue is the recording issue and the constant change in channels. It makes it nearly impossible for me to see the games I want - the whole reason I bought the package in the first place.

5. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    record the RSN - it won't change.

6. Wolly Bugger

Wolly Bugger Cool Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I don't get the RSN for the games I want, thus the reason I bought the package. I'm in Alaska, and I bought the package primarly for the Flyers games. I don't have the Sports pack, so I don't have access to the RSNs. This shouldn't stop me from recording the CI games though, right?

7. BruinsHockey08

BruinsHockey08 Legend

Sep 29, 2008
    Cranston, RI
    It shouldn't but you better pray there isn't a last second change.

8. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Don't need Sports pack. All the CI games are is the RSN feeds "remapped" to the 700s all in one place. But those RSN channels will open up and be available for the games. So you can watch on either the RSN or the CI channel, doesn't matter it's the same feed. As a test, if you're home during a west coast game tune to the RSN instead and it should come in for you.

Note, the only reason why is because CI authorizes you for the games. Without it the RSNs would remain dark.

9. skylox

skylox Legend

Aug 10, 2008
    I got a TSN feed that was in HD, cant remember when but I know I was happy watching it. Also, if you look on the Center Ice website it shows you who the broadcaster is and I know that on October 28th I'll be happy since its an HD RDS french channel that I will be watching

10. skylox

skylox Legend

Aug 10, 2008
    Also, Rogers Sports Net has HD games......Phoenix and Ottawa were playing last week and I had both local feeds that were in HD

11. skylox

skylox Legend

Aug 10, 2008
    The only thing I would like to know is where this channel is.....
    This is from the Center Ice website

12. BruinsHockey08

BruinsHockey08 Legend

Sep 29, 2008
    Cranston, RI
    Well on DirecTV we haven't gotten any Canadian HD feeds on NHL Center Ice except for the ones on NHL Network

13. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I have set up several NHLCI games on either the 7xx channels or the RSN's. I have not had a problem with recording them. Although I've had this problem, sometimes the HD channel doesn't show up in the guide until the last minute.

On the one second of black recording and then asking "delete", it sounds like you have another issue. There are several threads on that problem, which are usually caused by loose or bad cables, bbc's, switches or power issues. From the sounds of it, you might have a problem with the second tuner. You should try to record 2 different programs at the same time and see if you get that quick "delete" prompt on one of them. If so, you may have a cabling or BBC issue with the second tuner.

14. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Its on cable, I had that channel the last couple years when I had Time Warner.

15. dvdmth

dvdmth Icon

Jul 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    When I record a game on Center Ice (or MLB Extra Innings), the recording often shows up as two items in the playlist, placed in a folder. The older item actually has the game, while the newer item is blank (goes straight to the Keep/Delete screen). I think this happens because DirecTV takes off the game feed after it's over and replaces it with a "dummy" placeholder feed that has no video. The DVR sees the feed switch and makes a new recording, which ends up being blank.

That's my experience anyway. I have yet to lose a recording I made on a 700's channel, though I have had to reschedule a couple of times due to schedule changes.

16. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Makes sense... I didn't know it would automatically stop recording at the end of a game.

I have always been watching the game I am recording, so I can jump to other games during commercials and not miss anything. So as soon as the game ends, I typically stop the recording. So I haven't seen that blank recording, other then when it happened due to a power issue, that a UPS resolved.

17. Wolly Bugger

Wolly Bugger Cool Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Thanks for all the input. I didn't know the RSN opens up for the games. That's a great thing to know. You guys have been a huge help - thanks!

18. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    You still might want to be sure that you don't have a problem with your second tuner. If you only record one program during a time slot it will appear that everything is fine. You could record multiple programs this way and think there is nothing wrong. If you try to record two programs at the same time and your second tuner is bad, the second recording will give you the "Delete Now" prompt immediately.

19. golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh Legend

Mar 26, 2007
    I think you still might have a problem recording Flyer games off of the RSN especially if the game is on Comcast Sportsnet-Philly seeing that Direct does not carry that channel.

20. dhkinil

dhkinil Icon

Dec 17, 2006
    I have had second tuner problems and I think they are always with tuner 2. In my case it is a select set of transponders on the 101. D* replaced my HR20 with and HR 22 and an AM21. It is better, but when I go to the signal meters, the problem is still there, just nowhere near as bad. I do not think this is the problem, the immediate delete thing is software related AFAIK. Recording two programs will not answer the question if the two channels are not "tuner 2 transponder issues channels", and if they are, he will not know figure it out if Tuner 2 happens to be the one recording the "non problem" channel.