1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NHL CI - no Pitt/Philly?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by 330cic, Jan 19, 2013.

1. 330cic

330cic Mentor

Jun 28, 2004
    I thought that last season we got most of the Philly and Pitt games on Center Ice. But this afternoon's Penguins/Flyers game is nowhere to be found. Its Kings/Hawks in NBC (we live in Texas) or Sens/Jets on 769. Maybe its because the east is probably getting the Philly/Pitts game on NBC?

2. Peter305

Peter305 Hall Of Fame

May 24, 2006
    You can watch both NBC games on the NBC website or on their ap. it won't be on NHLCI.

3. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
  4. 330cic

330cic Mentor

Jun 28, 2004
    Thanks all!

5. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    The Penguins/Flyers game is supposed to be on NBC in NYC according to both the guide and the schedule on NHL.com, but I am getting the Blackhawks/Kings game.

6. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Same here. Looks like their feeds are messed up.

7. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    ON NOW !! They stayed in LA til the Flyers game started according to the Flyers facebook page

8. spiketoo

spiketoo Cool Member

Sep 24, 2007
    This makes no sense. If NBC is going to show multiple games, the offset games should be on CI. I believe it's been that way previously. Can you imagine if the NFL did this???

What's the point of CI then?

9. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    FOX / MLB is changing that.

Maybe NBC / NHL needs to copy that.

10. 330cic

330cic Mentor

Jun 28, 2004
    Looks like our local NBC switched over when the first promo timeout hit the Kings/Hawks game. We now have Flyers/Pens. Go figure...

11. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    They switched it late...an NBC issue.

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Sounds like it was planned that way so everyone could watch their King's raise the banner.

13. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Same thing on my Shaw Direct system and my C band system. The game was also not on Center Ice, with Shaw. I even went over the air, here in Watertown, NY area, and both the Syracuse and Rochester stations were Kings/Hawks, until midway into the first period. Someone was asleep at the switch.

At least the homies, in LA, got to raise their bandanna to the roof.

14. dvdmth

dvdmth Icon

Jul 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Whenever NBC has had regional coverage in recent years (only once or twice a year - most NBC games are national), they stagger the start times of the games so that they can have look-ins during the intermission breaks. The start times are about 10 minutes apart. Today, the Flyers game started after the Kings game, so the entire country saw the beginning of the Kings game.

As for NBC on Center Ice, that used to be true when NBC had three regional games every week (this would've been the first couple of years after the previous lockout), and it was also true back when ABC and (previously) FOX had NHL TV rights. Later, NBC switched to televising their NHL games nationally every week, at which point the games were dropped from Center Ice. Then, more recently, they started having occasional regional coverage (as I said, only once or twice a season). These games are excluded from Center Ice and GameCenter Live, but they are available from nbcsports.com. It is my understanding that nbcsports.com has exclusive rights for out-of-market access to NBC regional games under the current contract.

15. spiketoo

spiketoo Cool Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Then this is just another in the myriad of NHL screwups. THEY set the carriage contracts. Pathetic.

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    So NBC showed the banner raising. What's the big deal? Where did they screw up?

17. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    In markets that were supposed to get Flyers/Penguins they left the LA game on and joined it late.

18. blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone Godfather

Nov 29, 2007
    nbc dumped most markets out of hawks/kings when the pens/flyers 3rd period started. didnt say why, just switched everybody.

19. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    They made no mention of changing some markets to the other game after the raising. They completely ignored the fact that some people were seeing something different that what their schedule and guide told them.

20. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    They did? My NBC switched right on time and I saw the opening face-off.