1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

NHL, NBC, Versus reach 10-year deal

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by digidan, Apr 19, 2011.

1. digidan

digidan Cool Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Here's some news we all dreaded, get used to seeing NHL on Versus for a long time to come :mad::mad::mad:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=560238

2. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Glad to see it. Versus/NBC/Comcast will do a much better Job with the game than ESPN.

Hockey is nothing more than an afterthought for the Mothership.

Never will change.

3. blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone Godfather

Nov 29, 2007
    i would rather be 1st priority than 5th on espn2

4. anleva

anleva Icon

Nov 14, 2007
    Yeah, I really don't get the Versus hate. I get the channel, I get it in HD and they care about hockey. Coverage has been improving. So I punch in 603 rather than 206. Honestly I'd rather watch in on Versus and not be bothered by the ESPN ticker all game.

I do hope they take advantage of some of the other NBC stations though for overflow, to show other games, etc.

5. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...-signs-10-year-2-billion-deal-with-nbc-versus

6. 1980ws

1980ws Legend

Mar 18, 2008
    Longwood,...
    Makes sense. Versus needs content. No hate here for them either. I actually rarely watch ESPN anymore - I'm more apt to go right to Channels 212,213,215. Not a fan of basketball or the ESPN brand anymore.

7. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Who's we? The hockey fans I know are happy with this deal (including myself.)

P.S. Why is this in the D* forum?

8. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    but what channels?

Will they pull round 1 and 2 RSN games?

Will VS over flow become temp full time channel for playoff time?

Will cable systems have a VS feed and a VS alt feed?

No way for VS to fit in all the round 2 games.

With they put NHL playoff games on G4? E!? Universal Sports? NHL network ? Syfy? A&E? lifetime? lifetime movie? Chiller? Sleuth? The Weather Channel? USA? CNBC? MSNBC? Bravo? nhl exata on CSN? (but not all areas have a CSN and even them some CSN's don't have the room with the NBA and MLB in the way)

Will ESPN, Turner and FOX now get the olympics as NBC had to pay out big to get the new NHL deal.

the only good thing about pulling round 2 from the RSN is to free up room on indemand for more NBA and MLB games / HD games.

9. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Good question, it has been moved to the Sports Programming Forum.

10. aa9vi

aa9vi Godfather

Sep 3, 2007
  11. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
  12. anleva

anleva Icon

Nov 14, 2007
    Enquiring minds want to know and they want to know now damnit! :p

13. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    I don't care so long as the audio for games on Versus will actually be DD 5.1 in the near future.

14. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I have no hate for Versus either other than the fact that Comcrap owns Versus. If the NHL moved back to ESPN, I am sure they'd be a very low priority since they carry the NFL, MLB, and NBA. As long as Versus continues to do at least 2 NHL games per week, I am happy. I get most of my hockey from NHL CI, however.

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    +1

16. ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    Plus twice as many games (100 I think) between both. Hopefully more doubleheaders on Versus. Also hope that the NHL doesn't schedule alot of games on night's Versus has exclusive rights. Lots of games in the previous years have had no tv during that window. Should be better for the playoffs since NHL CI will have telecasts reduced for those who don't wanna pay for it. Glad ESPN didn't get it back they can take the ticker and shove it. Versus has done a cool job adding extra games during the week from regional sports networks and we also have the NHL Network for even more games!

17. slapshot1959

slapshot1959 Legend

Jan 24, 2006
    You get the award for the most questions asked in one post.

We'll just have to wait and see but this looks like a positive deal for the hockey fan.
    Now all we need is All games in hd. American,Canadian, Mexican whatever!

18. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said he "couldn't be happier" to renew the relationship and "the promise of what NBC Universal/Comcast is going to be is exciting." He noted the sport of hockey will now be discussed, promoted and celebrated on 20 NBC Universal networks and another 40-plus digital platforms.

the aboe post from the report on nhl.com they state 20 nbc networks doest that mean CSN will be renamed NBC / regional city or something like that

19. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    when you see the dick ebersol interview, he states 90 days he will rename VS and i think that will include comcast sports net.

20. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    You should completely forget what Versus was before the Comcast/NBCU merger. Comcast put in their own guy as the CEO of NBCU, but NBC Sports is still run by Dick Ebersol, and Comcast merged Versus into the existing NBC Sports group, meaning old Versus is dead and you're basically getting a brand new sports channel managed by old school NBC Sports people. They just happen to get all of Versus' old contracts (IndyCar, NHL, etc).