1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nhl network and hockey nite in canada?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by iluvtv, Oct 16, 2009.

1. iluvtv

iluvtv Legend

Sep 29, 2005
    Does anyone know if they plan on bringing back the 2nd game on saturday night?

2. Peter305

Peter305 Hall Of Fame

May 24, 2006
    The answer to your question is that there are virtually no HNIC double headers on the NHL Network this season. They did the first one and then most weeks after that it is only one a Saturday.

They issued a press release at the beginning of the season that said that they would not be showing the second game most weeks. The only time they are doing it, at least so far, is Saturday January 30th which is Hockey Day in Canada. They are actually showing three games that day.

So, if you want the second game you need NHLCI. Even then DirecTV screwed that up last week and missed the first five minutes or so of the first period.

3. blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone Godfather

Nov 29, 2007
    they should also dump the first game. How does the sport of hockey grow in the states showing the leafs every week getting killed.

This is the NHL network, not the HNIC network.

4. dhkinil

dhkinil Icon

Dec 17, 2006
    well, the other games are on CI and the main thing about the HNIC games is that this has been the only way that some of the games are in HD and some of the programming, Coach's Corner, Hot Stove, etc., between periods and between games is good information and does grow the game. Besides it is not like on Saturday night at 9 eastern that there would be something better to put on NHLNetwork besides a game and the only unique things they can get are the CBC HNIC games.

5. blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone Godfather

Nov 29, 2007
    Showing Canadian Based clubs does not grow the game here.

Showcase the stars, I think that pittsburgh played the islanders last saturday or the one before it. Travarus and Crosby. That would have been a showcase game to show, not a canadian based last placed team that has no stars.

If you want to see hnic every week, that is what centre ice is for..and your beef is with directtv or your other provider if they dont show it in hd or get a canadian dish.

the nhl network needs to develop what mlb does on a nightly basis. Their on the fly show shows too much taped stuff and not enough live cutin's. If they are going to show a game, show the best matchup of the evening.

I am sure that the second game was dropped since the ratings probably are in the toilet. That was a very smart move. Dropping the midweek tsn games was also a good move. (although they are showing the chic/vanc game next wed and that makes sense since it is a playoff rematch

6. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I like getting the HNIC game on Saturday for reasons that "dhkinil" mentioned (and being a Sabres fan I've enjoyed watching the Leafs games). What I don't understand is why they don't alternate the early HNIC game between the Leafs, Canadians and Senators.

7. Barcthespark

Barcthespark Godfather

Dec 16, 2007
    Showing HNIC on NHL Network is a reward to real hockey fans.

8. Peter305

Peter305 Hall Of Fame

May 24, 2006
    Showing HNIC on the NHL Network is the BEST programming there is. I say this because NO ONE covers hockey like the CBC and American viewers need to see quality coverage. The other thing I would say is the Leafs will NOT be on every Saturday night so relax folks you will get to see other teams.

The ONE mistake being made this year is not to show the whole package right through to After Hours. There is no better package of hockey coverage than HNIC from 6:30 to 1 AM if they show the whole thing like they did last year.

9. iluvtv

iluvtv Legend

Sep 29, 2005
    Thanks for the answer, sorry to hear that they have dumped the 2nd game though. As far as always showing the Leafs well i'm in Canada and people here get fed up with it as well.

There always is other Canadian based teams playing in the 1st game on CBCtv but it's always the Leafs on the national channel, well almost always anyways.

As far as showing Canadian based teams and not doing the game any good in the USA well i kind of have to disagree with that as the games here are always very upbeat and exciting with noisy crowds etc. and i think that does help with the entertainment aspect.

ps: One thing that really bugs me is how Directv CENTER ICE never shows any Canadian based teams games in HD when they are all in HD here.

10. ohpuckhead

ohpuckhead Godfather

Dec 15, 2007
    It makes sense to you because the Blackhawks are on it. HNIC is the best produced hockey telecast and gives the game and its history its due. I do wish that the Leafs' game was not the default one each Saturday for NHLN. There are plenty of weeks when the Habs or Sens are also on but the NHL network is showing the Leafs.

11. 10david2

10david2 AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    Bettman is the curse that continues to ruin the NHL!! HNIC in HD on the NHL Network was the best move the NHL had made in 15 years!! Then the Morons that Be, decided that they should show NHL on Fly (not in HD, but a good show), instead of the second game and After Hours. Morons!! Idiots!! Stupid Aholes!! Anyone that is a real hockey fan has purchased Center Ice just to see the Sat. HNIC. I hate to say this but, after the next lockout, (which will be when the next CBA expires) hockey will be an after thought in this country anyway. It's sad but true, the idiots that run hockey, shoot themselves in the foot, time, after time again!! It sucks! It sucks!! It sucks!! FU Bettman!! You little sawed off weasel bestard!!!!

12. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    To get a Canadian dish isn't that feasible for most of us. Even if you can get past the "Grey Market" issue, many of us want to get our locals on satellite. Otherwise, you have to find another method to record them OTA. And what happens when you have a hardware issue?

Curious, do you get any US feeds in HD on the Canadian Dish?

13. iluvtv

iluvtv Legend

Sep 29, 2005
    Maybe your referring to me as i'm the one in Canada, not sure if blackhawkzone has a Canadian dish. I have directv and expressvu. I mostly watch directv but need expressvu for the network feeds, both Canadian and American which are all in HD, i get the Boston and Seattle feeds. Oh and lets not forget about TSN which has extensive curling coverage up here, almost as big as hockey. :)

14. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I wasn't actually referring to you, but thanks for the reply. Blackhawkzone definitely has a Canadian dish and has given others info on how to get one. Do you get any of the MSG HD feeds on the Canadian dish?

15. iluvtv

iluvtv Legend

Sep 29, 2005
    not sure, i'll check and see one night if they do or not, what teams is it again that are on msg hd?

16. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Its the Rangers, Isles, Sabres & Devils.

17. lemme14

lemme14 Cool Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Just catching up to what NHL has done to the HNIC double-header. Also noticed that the second half of the double-header on Center Ice is only available in SD. No HD feed. Basically unwatchable. So we've gone from having a block from 6:30-1:30 showing 2 games on one channel on Center Ice (a couple years ago) to this moving to NHL Network in HD (awesome move imo), to splitting up the DH and showing on NHL Net sometimes, with the second half back on CI in SD?? What the hell is Bettman doing? What a stupid move. I wanted to watch the game tonight just because it was HNIC. With the feed so bad, I'll go back to college football. Much better. Another great move by the NHL. I'll be lucky if I can find the programming most nights (don't get me started on the Vs debacle).

18. krlll

krlll New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    According to Bettman, the second game was dropped because viewers were clamoring for more "NHL On the Fly". Thus the new 8:00 pm start time and only the first HNIC game.

19. Peter305

Peter305 Hall Of Fame

May 24, 2006
    Where and when did Bettman say this?

20. krlll

krlll New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Where: On his radio show on NHL Home Ice.
    When: Either this past Thursday or the prior Thursday.