1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NHL Network: Keeps Ruining Hockey Night in Canada

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Chilcoot, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1 of 81
    Chilcoot

Chilcoot Legend

Jun 22, 2008
    NHL Network is terrible. I'm sorry, it is. It's pathetic.

Every year, they reduce our access to Hockey Night in Canada. Last year (or the year before) they took away the second game, carrying only the early game and then going to the AWFUL NHL On the Fly studio show.

This year, if last night is any guide, they not only don't show the second game, they now cut away from HNIC between the first and second period to show MORE NHL On the Fly! Why?

Why not stick with CBC's incredibly good coverage during the period break? That is the break with Coach's Corner. Now we get that, taped, between the second and third period. As a result, we miss the Roundtable, which is probably the best hockey discussion every week, anywhere.

NHL Network is awful. Every programming decision they make is wrong.

Awful!

Just leave Hockey Night in Canada alone, the CBC knows what it's doing!!!

2. Oct 9, 2011 #2 of 81
    Barcthespark

Barcthespark Godfather

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree 100%.

3. Oct 9, 2011 #3 of 81
    stoutman

stoutman Godfather

Feb 8, 2003
    101% !!!

4. Oct 9, 2011 #4 of 81
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I've repeatedly said the double-header HNIC was the best programming the NHL Network used to show. I suspect it costs them too much money to show HNIC.

5. Oct 9, 2011 #5 of 81
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I thought they were owned by the league. If so, cost shouldn't be a concern.

6. Oct 9, 2011 #6 of 81
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    HNIC is a CBC production. Are you saying the league owns the CBC?

7. Oct 9, 2011 #7 of 81
    Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    NHL Network butchers any game it picks up by substituting its on-the-fly stuff in place of the actual intermission content from whatever feed theyre showing. Its very annoying. I like seeing that stuff sometimes when I'm watching a feed off Center Ice. And I really wish they would leave the Center Ice feeds open so we could choose what feed we want and actually see all the coverage. MLB actually does this, and MLB is supposed to be worse about blackout policies.

8. Oct 9, 2011 #8 of 81
    scoop8

scoop8 Godfather

Jul 18, 2009
    Dallas TX
    I have to agree here as well, and now with another apparent version of "Tit for Tat" with the Dolan's and the MSG/HD feeds being yanked, the CI pkg gets diminished further.

There's a small hope that the latest MSGHD thing will get resolved fast but the timeline track record for that isn't promising.

9. Oct 9, 2011 #9 of 81
    Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    Not to mention that crawl at the bottom of the screen showing the same day old information over and over including the big scoop telling you what you're watching.

What crap...turn it off during the games!

10. Chilcoot

Chilcoot Legend

Jun 22, 2008
    And it gets WORSE!!!

Looking at the DTV guide for next Saturday, NHL Network is NOT carrying the Hockey Night in Canada game at all!

Instead, they're showing the 30 minute HNIC pregame at 6:30P, then 1.5 hours of On the Fly from 7:00P to 8:30P, and then a non-HNIC game, Bruins at Blackhawks. A game all of us with NHLCI would have already had full access to. Stupid stupid stupid!

NHL Network's sole purpose should be to promote the NHL. Make it atttractive, make people want to spend money on the entertainment the NHL offers. A great way to do that would be to showcase the best hockey broadcast available anywhere, Hockey Night In Canada.

But NHL Network doesn't do that. Instead it shows us a crummy, poorly lit, incredibly bland studio highlights show, shot in a room with lower ceilings than those found in Being John Malkovich. STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!

By all appearances, NHL Network is run by stupid people.

11. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I just don't understand why we just can't have the CBC itself! Any major affiiliate (or an E and W feed... and Atlantic, for fun). I don't recall much, if any, American overlap with programming. CBC 24/7. No need to worry about what NHL Network will do to it!

12. FLWingNut

FLWingNut Godfather

Nov 19, 2005
    Some people have the NHL network without CI and would not have access to the game. NHL network should bring the best game of the night, even if it's not a HNIC game. Isn't the CBC feed on CI?

13. Barcthespark

Barcthespark Godfather

Dec 16, 2007
    The CBC feed is on CI but it is in SD.

BTW, NHL Network also squishes the screen because of the crawl at the bottom of the screen. I hate watching distorted sports.

14. charlie460

charlie460 Godfather

Sep 12, 2009
    They do not squish it. It sits on top of the bottom of the frame, but does NOT squish the whole picture. MLB Network, on the other hand, does squish the whole picture in order to fit their ticker.

15. Barcthespark

Barcthespark Godfather

Dec 16, 2007
    I respectfully disagree. While watching the game today, each time the crawl would start up, the screen would be normal for a few seconds, then it would squish. Once I noticed it, I began watching it closely and I could see it happen each time.

16. buffalofrenchy

buffalofrenchy Legend

Aug 29, 2010
    So showing the leafs every week is the way to promote the NHL in the United States of America? :nono2:
    I completely disagree with this entire thread. NHL network shoud NOT broadcast HNIC but should pick the best Saturday night game available - and in a perfect world have their own neutral announcer instead of choosing a team's feed.

HOWEVER NHL center ice SHOULD ABSOLUTELY carry HNIC in HD every week!!!

17. satexplorer

satexplorer Superstar

Feb 6, 2007
    Dock X
    NHL Network may want to have the best game after the All-Star game. One thing you may have forget is that CBC Hockey Night in Canada mostly favor games in Toronto in the 7pm time slot. If Toronto are not playing at home. Ottawa and Montreal become regional. Out west in that time slot mostly favor games in Vancouver, If Vancouver is not at home. CBC would choose Calgary, Edmonton or Winnipeg. Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson are still the best commentators in the North.

18. Chilcoot

Chilcoot Legend

Jun 22, 2008
    I suspect that this poster's apparent allegiance to the Habs inhibits his ability to think clearly about HNIC.

Yes, HNIC is Leafs-centric. A worst a minor failing. I'm not a Leafs fan, but I can still appreciate how great a hockey program HNIC is.

It's the quality of the broadcast and the analysis that we Americans are being denied by this new dimension of NHL Network's stupidity.

19. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    Exactly! The NHL has the fantasy about attracting casual hockey fans. What they apparently are unaware of is that there are close none. IME talking to people about hockey, they love it or hate it...there's very little in between.

20. tenpins

tenpins AllStar

Jan 19, 2010
    Colorado
    The US version of the NHL Network is owned by comcast. Unfortunately there in lies the problem IMHO. Agree about Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson.