1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

NHL Network overcompressed?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by n3ntj, Apr 14, 2013.

1. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I've watched the NHL Network's CBC HNIC broadcasts the past few weeks and noticed that it appears this channel is being over-compressed. If you look at the faces of the people, you see it blurry around their edges, etc. Never saw it look so bad before. Has D* changed something in the past few weeks or so, such as over-compressing?

It also appears that some of CBC's broadcasts are SD upconverted to 16:9 as it's strech-o-vision (even the CBC circle logo is stretched out sideways). I thought CBC was finally doing true HD for all of their NHL games.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    If DIRECTV was responsible, then every game/show on NHLN would look bad.

3. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    The NHL Network is one of the worst quality networks on TV. They vertically squish live games for their annoying crawl that they refuse to remove during live games. They also show scores of the game you are watching during reruns and their quality is never as good as if you could just straight watch whever's game feed they are stealing and passing off as their own. I hate this channel!

1 person likes this.
  4. stewdog1

stewdog1 AllStar

Sep 6, 2007
    I hate that. ESPN does it incessantly, unless it is MNF. Considering the advent of mobile and everything you can get at the touch of the finger nowadays, that whole bottom line is unecessary. Espcially when they have "Breaking News" like Tiger being assessed a two-stroke penalty. That went on for 24 hours it seemed like. That is not that important guys...

5. MonyMony

MonyMony Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    Add me to the list of people that the scroll drive crazy. I am sure that screen resizing is partly to blame. That said, I do know that the last Pittsburgh game NHLN carried used the Root Sports feed that had a problem with their HD feed that night.

6. tjguitar

tjguitar Mentor

Aug 23, 2006
    ESPN does not squish games, they put the bottom line over the bottom of the picture.

7. richard1428

richard1428 Cool Member

May 6, 2010
    they do squish the picture a little bit, you can see it when they change from commercials to transmissions, the image shrinks

8. charlie460

charlie460 Godfather

Sep 12, 2009
    While the content does look slightly overcompressed -- NHL Network is really an utterly useless channel, and that's from a huge hockey fan.

The production is awful, the ticker during live games is annoying, and their original programming sucks.

For some reason, they only vertically compress the feeds for CBC broadcasts from what I've seen. All of the other broadcasts just cut off the bottom (not that that's any better)

9. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    They shrink it in proper ratio, though. You'll notice thin black bars on the sides of the image when they do that.

Not all live games on ESPN have the crawler during them, although it's becoming more frequent.

10. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    +1 to just about everything said here. The NHL Network was a great idea gone horribly wrong.

11. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Have you noticed that NHL Network also "blacks out" the local graphics and discussions. For example, if the Blackhawks are on, and they're showing a local graphic of leading Blackhawk scorers, NHL Network will show some slide about upcoming schedules.

NHL Network looks like it's put on by high school students. Simply horrible.

1 person likes this.
  12. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Yeah, the RSN will show someone in the crowd and say something about it, but NHL Network tries to cover that up with some graphic. Kinda weird.

13. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    Try having cable and not having NHL Network. I miss all of the Saturday night games.

14. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    They seem to be useing raw feeds and you can hear background noise if they goto to a off site studio for some update.