1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NHL on ESPN

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Dan9, May 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan9

Dan9 Godfather

Feb 21, 2005
    I guess ESPN has finally given up on the NHL! In an article on Rogers Sportsnet's internet site says that ESPN has dumped the NHL for the 2005-06 Season. This is a big hit for the NHL, this will probably make some of the progress they've made in the CBA talks make a screeching halt. I hope the NHL comes back, but it looks like they won't be on ESPN even it is back next season. :confused:

Here's a link:http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050527_164035_6528

2. BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    just did a bit about this on HDNews, they showed some NHL HD clips from ESPN while reading the story, but I guess that's the last we'll see of it :( No reason for dish to carry ESPN2 now though. I'm confident HDNet will still do 2 games a week when the season resumes though

3. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Even if it does come back Who's going to watch it? Here in the United States this is a Football and Baseball country. Hockey is done.

4. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    ESPN had a "take it or leave it" option for $50M. The NHL isn't worth $50M, so it left it.

This opens up the NHL to receive bids from other networks (FSN, or maybe even a wild card like USA, TNT, Spike, or the oft mentioned as a bidder for sports, but never actually doing it, OLN) and from ESPN.

My bet? When the NHL returns, it will be on ESPN for about $5M.

5. S.C. Am

S.C. Am Mentor

Jul 27, 2004
    The big sponsors of Hockey Night in Canada (Molson Coors, Ford, & Sony) have given the NHL and the players an ultimatum - deal by June 15 or they will be pulling sponsorship.

The NHL is dead, it will never return to it's former ratings. The ratings for the Junior hockey championship in Canada this week (Memorial Cup) prove that hockey is alive and well in Canada. As for the NHL - it's done, just get the final burial underway.

6. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    From reading a few sources it looks like the ESPN just passed on this option,
    ESPN can re-negotiate a deal at a lower price. Shouldn't be a problem for ESPN, its not like there are satellite/cable sports networks lined up around the block wanting to throw money at the NHL. Even if a CBA had been signed last week, I would think that ESPN would want to re-negotiate the deal.

Seems like June 15th is the date everyone is circling on their calendars. Who knows if there will be a deal by then or not, but at least the sides seem to be getting down to serious business at last - talking about stuff they should have been discussing last summer.

It doesn't seem like either side has the support of their constituencies to throw the papers off the table, say screw you, and sit silent for 3 months. Neither side can back away from the negotiating table for too long at this point. That in and of itself is reason for optimism in my mind. We should at least have some kind of season next year.

7. Dan9

Dan9 Godfather

Feb 21, 2005
    I'll watch it.

8. loudo

loudo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    I would rather watch, action packed, fast moving hockey, than those boring Poker Games Shows they play all the time. That is about as interesting as watching paint dry. Or all those boring college football games with all those wanta bees, replayed games all week long, during the fall.

No Sunday ticket for me, they can keep their over priced package. My NHL Center Ice package is turned on waiting for play to resume. :grin:

9. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003

10. muledoggie

muledoggie AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 6, 2004
    I'll watch it.

GO STARS!!

Jeff

11. urnote96

urnote96 Legend

Jun 22, 2004

I MISS HOCKEY
    :(

12. Mike770

Mike770 Legend

Mar 1, 2004
    I Miss Hockey As Well

13. Crystal Pepsi Ball

Crystal Pepsi Ball Godfather

Jun 29, 2004
    West Valley...
    I Miss Hockey As Well
    Go Blues!!!

14. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    A smaller tier network will pick it up. Personally, I'd like to see HDNet and USA split the coverage. Both could broadcast in HD.

15. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    The NHL is so over with it isn't even funny. They lost an entire season and they still can't even get a deal. My guess is the NHL has seen it's final day in existence. All the players can go back home to there home countries or whatever and maybe practice up for Olympic Hockey or something. But the NHL is about over with i hate to be the first to break the news to you all.

16. muledoggie

muledoggie AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 6, 2004
    A salary cap is the major issue. All of the "successful" pro sports have it in the US. WAKE UP PLAYERS UNION!!!

Go Stars!

Jeff

17. Dan9

Dan9 Godfather

Feb 21, 2005

It looks like they have finally agreed on a salary cap. The NHL and the Players Association finally agree on something other than just changing some of the rules.

Here's a link to the story that broke from ESPN:http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2080348

18. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I read TBS is interested in the NHL.

19. Dan9

Dan9 Godfather

Feb 21, 2005
    I wish all of these people reporting on the NHL could just wait until the NHL releases a statement concerning the salary cap instead you see all of these different stories on the Internet that confuse the h*** out of you telling you they've got the formula for a salary cap and then another web site says that they have an unidentified "source" that says these reports about the salary cap agreed on is not true. Please NHL just come out with a statement about the salary cap and your progress, so all of these stations like ESPN, especially ESPN, can stop giving us NHL fans the run around every week. Thanks for your responses.

Here's a link to that story from TSN:http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=127483

20. loudo

loudo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    Is that why the US has 24 teams in the league and Canada has only 6? :nono2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.