1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

NHL Preseason question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by lacubs, Sep 16, 2013.

1. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    why does sports network blackout Preseason games in the Sport Pack?

2. crimpshrine

crimpshrine Legend

Aug 2, 2010
    In years past NHL preseason games have NOT been blacked out, so I'm not sure if this has changed or if Directv is accidentally blacking them out?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

1 person likes this.
  3. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    It's up to the team and the regional sports network, not a DirecTV decision.. Center Ice does not include the preseason games.

4. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    i know it not part of the package, but i think it dumb! just it be on it only Preseason

1 person likes this.
  5. blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone Godfather

Nov 29, 2007
    if it is on the nhl network, it will be blacked out on the rsn

6. milton

milton Cool Member

Mar 12, 2011
    The Rangers game last night was blacked out even though it wasn't on NHLN. I agree that it's pretty stupid. What does the NHL gain by not allowing somebody in Illinois to watch a Rangers preseason game? This isn't part of CI. It just ticks off fans.

1 person likes this.
  7. TANK

TANK Icon

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    Bettman and the BOG never use common sense :lol:

8. crimpshrine

crimpshrine Legend

Aug 2, 2010
    Like I said above, they haven't been blacking out NHL preseason games in the past, so I'm not sure why it's happening this year.

I've only noticed last night's game, so it could be MSG causing the black out? Not sure if any of the other RSN's have been doing this or not. I guess we'll find out tonight on CSN-DC if the Caps game is blacked out or not!

9. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Yeah, the Rangers-NJ game was blacked out on MSG and MSG+.. I was planning on watching it last night. Tonight is on NHL Network, which is turned off for some reason now, even though I sub to NHL CI and have watched NHL Network in the past. Maybe NHL Network only is 'turned on' to NHL subs when the season starts and NHL CI is active.

10. charlie460

charlie460 Godfather

Sep 12, 2009
    CSN-DC is blacked out for the Caps game even though it's not on NHL Network. What a joke.

11. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    For me too. I don't know why the team or the RSN does this. I have Sportspack AND center ice.

12. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Are you guys in their markets?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

13. quik

quik AllStar

Sep 26, 2007
    Sucks! I added Sports Pack just to watch these preseason games!

I called and the rep couldn't find any reason, said this blackout is not under their control.

No, at least I'm not (In Texas) It's an out of Market game which should be viewable unless its being broadcast of course on NHL Network, or NBCSN or something, which it is not.

I will Cancel this sports pack tomorrow I guess, and they better waive that 10$ fee if you don't keep it for 30days!

I don't think they blackout the re-aired replays, at least the Rangers Game wasn't yesterday.

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I guess I don't understand. Out of market hockey games are not available on RSNs and CI is a package that is only "on" during the regular season. No pre- or post-season games.

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Where did you read that it would be viewable?

16. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
    ImageUploadedByDBSTalk1379470122.301395.jpg

This is all sounding like pure horse hockey! Glad that NHL network not being turned on has forced me elsewhere until October one.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

17. quik

quik AllStar

Sep 26, 2007
    I didn't read where is would be viewable, but read the general blackout rules. There is no rule/reason for it to be blacked out...

18. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Yet you're not receiving the games.

19. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Can we please combine all of the NHL threads?

20. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    The NHL is just completely clueless. They wonder why their fan base is dwindling, yet they continue to make idiotic decisions like blacking out PRESEASON games. I mean come on, they are preseaon. This is a time when you can give EVERYONE access to your product so they can see for themselves and possibly want to watch more. They just don't get it. Whoever is making these decisions, needs to be fired immediately.

I've also noticed, that while MLB.TV is popping up on more and more devices these days, the NHL Gamcenter is DISAPPEARING from more and more devices. Over the last couple years, the NHL has DROPPED support for most Samsung and all LG devices, that had it, now this year Boxee is dropped(I know Boxee is sold and is dwindling but still). I can't remember the last time a new device was actually ADDED to the list(phones don't count to me, I'm talking smart TVs and other set top devices).

I won't get into my issues with the league(I'm sure you've all heard me complain about their blackouts), but between making their blackout rules ridiculous, to their ever SHRINKING list of supported devices for Gamecenter, to their now blacking out of PRESEASON games, it's no wonder why they continue to lose fans.