1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

NHL TV Deal?

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by bradh21, Feb 19, 2005.

1. bradh21

bradh21 Registered User

Dec 1, 2004
    If ESPN does not pick up the option for the 2005-2006 Season.

However, NBC has a 1 year, revenue sharing broadcast network
    NHL Contract with a 2 year option.

Do you think USA and CNBC should be interested to bid the cable rights
    to televise National Hockey League games beginning
    next season?

2. CapeFish

CapeFish Cool Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I think that if the NHL extended the agreement they have with NBC on a barter basis to USA, CNBC, and/or Bravo.....the NHL could see it happen.

3. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I doubt the NHL will be back even next year. They can't come to an agreement. The sport is badley wrecked. It's beyond Mayday. It's just about crashed and in flames. There little stunt last weekend they pulled when ESPN was reporting a deal was about to happen that fell through sealed the deal for alot of people. Although if CNBC could get hockey there ratings might go up slightly with hockey than it is currently with the Dennis Miller Show :lol:

4. anselmo1

anselmo1 New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    What network in their right mind would offer the NHL a TV contract? Their ratings last year were horrid to say the least on ESPN. Their numbers on cable were so dismal that this years substitute programming has doubled the NHL's ratings over last year.

5. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    I'm beginning to think that the NHL is going to disappear with a different league taking over as the "major league" of hockey. It will most likely have a salary cap in place so expenses will be held in check and a smaller TV contract can be negotiated. I think it would be great to see a network that has an HD channel availability (like USA via UniversalHD) pick up the contract.

Hockey just doesn't appear to be an A-level TV sporting event so a smaller network picking it up could be a GREAT thing since they would promote it more heavily than a bigger network. NHL was a bust for the major networks but it would be a boost for some of the smaller ones.

6. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Welcome to DBSTalk, Anselmo :hi:

I'm up in Amherst every other day, I attend class at ITT Tech on Millersport :)

7. anselmo1

anselmo1 New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    I bet you go over to Besta Pizza or Burrito Bay for lunch! Both are great places as well as the chicken wings at Elmo's! Thank you for the welcome! :)