1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NHLCI: Best/Worst opposing teams feed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by buffalofrenchy, Aug 30, 2010.

1. buffalofrenchy

buffalofrenchy Legend

Aug 29, 2010
    Which opposing teams do you think have the best announcers / coverage during the game?

And obviously which teams do you think have the worst ones?

I thought about this question as I consider getting NHLCI through directv to follow a Canadian team (the CanadiEn team). I understand that since their home network is RDS, only the opposing teams feed will be available in HD when available (I only watch hockey in HD). Hence since I am stuck watching opposing teams feed, which ones are the best/worst?

Please do not “cheer” for your own feed as your opinion would most likely be bias ;-)

2. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Honestly, my choices are based on only three factors:

1. Is the feed in HD?
    2. Does the feed provide DD 5.1?
    3. If both #1 and #2 are a "yes" then I decide if one feed provides superior PQ compared to the other.

If all those factors are equal...I don't care which feed I watch.

3. dhkinil

dhkinil Icon

Dec 17, 2006
    so, you won't watch a game with the Canadien team you root for if it is not a good feed. Those of us who follow NY teams were sometimes stuck with SD only or upconvert feeds while CI did not have MSGHD. In one particular memorable instance the feed from the Rangers Wild game looked worse than a feed from say, 1965, but as a loyal rangers fan, I watched.

4. Islandguy43

Islandguy43 Legend

Oct 2, 2007
    Those disgusting MSG SD feeds are not solely for the Rangers, but the Sabres SD feeds makes you rather listen to the game on the radio or watch it on a old standard tube tv.

5. AMike

AMike Godfather

Nov 21, 2005
    I would avoid Atlanta Thrashers broadcasts (and this is coming from a fan of that team). In the past, they have had a limited number of HD telecasts on SportSouth and I would anticipate that not changing this season, but I could be wrong.

Also, I'm not a fan of their broadcasters, Matt McConnell and Darren Eliot. In comparison to the other RSN's, the Thrashers presentation is one of the weakest in my opinion.

6. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    Well for what it's worth before I had access to MSG/MSG+ in HD I had a grey market Bell system. I didn't care who the Devils were playing. If the feed was in HD from the opponent's feed that's what I watched.

As much as I think Emrick is great announcer, I'd listen to Donald Duck call the game to watch in HD.

In short, while I'm sure you're not alone, the feeling is not unanimous.

7. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    Best HD feeds:

NESN, MSG, MSG+, SNET Ontario, FS Pitt.

Worst: Sunshine

Just my $0.02

All of the SD feeds suck big time. It they were any worse, they'd be radio.

8. anleva

anleva Icon

Nov 14, 2007
    If your question is more about the announcers and how well they cover the game rather than the quality of the HD feed, I recommend checking out the boards at Hockey's Future. More specifically probably the NHL board. It's the best forum I've found to talk hockey in depth. I remember a thread or two on best announcers, worst announcers, etc.

9. pappy97

pappy97 Icon

Nov 14, 2009
    Hate to be biased, but I think the best HD feeds on NHLCI are the Comcast Sportsnet ones, especially CSN California (Sharks) and CSN Chicago (Hawks). 1080i, DD 5.1 sound, and pretty good announcers (but that's biased).

The worst to me are the FSN's. Usually they are 720p and NO DD 5.1 sound (only 2.0 stereo).

10. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I think Pat Foley of CSN Chicago is the best play by play guy ever, It still astonishes me Wertz dumped him for a few years.

And Eddie Olczyk is a good analyst as well.

I've posted this Foley link before, but it so priceless I had to put it up again. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iviLY1RvNc

11. buffalofrenchy

buffalofrenchy Legend

Aug 29, 2010
    yep my question was more oriented toward announcers (best/worst) just to get an idea of what people think but it is interesting to hear how people feel about the HD quality of the different stations

12. slapshot1959

slapshot1959 Legend

Jan 24, 2006
    In total agreement here, CSN Chicago the best and Sharks announcers second.All others are a step below.

13. CGYOKC

CGYOKC Cool Member

Jun 21, 2010
    I personally don't care for Chicago's announcers. Ralph and Razor in Dallas can be entertaining at times and I also like Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda in San Jose as well.

A little off subject, but I think Chris Cuthbert on TSN is the best PxP man in hockey and Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson on CBC are the best overall announcing crew.

14. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Worst announcers....Anyone on Versus except Doc and Eddie...

15. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    The WGN games use the same guys. But they are not on NHL CI usa HD and not on wgn america.

they are on wgn HD in Canada same feed as wgn 9 and NHL CI Canada HD
    what does D* do when a game is on wgn and just CBC? (flames ppv / Canucks TV / Oilers PPV) now the games are on rogers sports net one? Leafs TV? TSN / TSN 2? RDS / RIS? the other Rogers Sportsnets?

I get wgn 9 so I just want to know if it ever get's used on CI USA?

16. dvdmth

dvdmth Icon

Jul 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    I can't stand Pittsburgh's coverage. Others I can't care for include Carolina, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Ottawa, Detroit, Los Angeles, and Edmonton.

On the plus side, I really love the Chicago guys. All the Comcast SportsNets, for that matter, do a very good job (there are things I don't like about Comcast, that this is one thing they get right IMO). Others I like include St. Louis, Phoenix, NY Rangers, New Jersey, and Boston.

Although I do have HD and a surround system, I don't use HD availability or DD 5.1 as the means to decide which feed to use.

17. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    I am going to throw my vote in for Bob Miller of the Kings/ Jimmy Fox is a pretty good compliment as well. Both are knowledgeable, articulate and aren't always blatant homers.:)

18. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I assumed the OP was about the feed PQ not the quality of the announcing.

I think MSG, MSG+, NESN, and the various CSN HD feeds are best for PQ. Some of the FSN feeds are decent (all are 720p). We all know that the RDS feed is by far the worst. Hockey just looks terrible in SD. Bettman should really try to get access to all HD feeds (when possible) for the NHL CI package if he is serious in growing the fan base.

19. mndwalsh

mndwalsh Legend

Nov 16, 2005
  20. buffalofrenchy

buffalofrenchy Legend

Aug 29, 2010
    All HD feeds would be great. That's for sure.
    When you claimed that the RDS feed was the worst, I assume that you talk about the SD version when it is on NHLCI - USA?
    I did have a Shaw direct box/dish a couple years ago and all habs games were in HD in great quality IMO.