1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NIC not seeing Xbox

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by Ric, Aug 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ric

Ric Godfather DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 26, 2002
    Just moved our Xbox into a new room. I have a computer in that room that is connected to my wireless network. Previously, Xbox was in the same room as my router and was hardwired into the network. Now I want to have the xbox share the wireless internet connection that is on the computer. All this is for Xbox Live Here are my issues:

1) When I connect the xbox to the computer using standard ethernet cable, the NIC and the Xbox show as the cable is disconnected.
    2) The cable is 50' so I can run it directly to the router for a test connection (but it travels down stairs so not the best solution but can troubleshoot). When Computer NIC is hardwired to router, connection is made. When Xbox is hardwired to router, connection is made so cable is ok.
    3) I like this hardware arrangement so I want to get the Xbox to use the computer's internet connection - Xbox live website states it should work and logic tells me it should. I have downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia as I have an Asus A7N8X board with the NIC from Nvidia on board.
    4) Don't want to invest in an Xbox Wireless connection since I have a computer sitting right beside it that is already connected.

Any ideas?

2. kwajr

kwajr Icon

Apr 7, 2004
    i think you have to get the special one if you want it wireless they covered this on techtv one day may want to search the archives

3. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Problem #1: To go Ethernet NIC-to-NIC you need either an auto-polatiry NIC at one end, or a crossover cable. Ethernet cable uses 2 pairs - one transmit and one receive. Ethernet hubs are wired "backwards" so they receive the other end's transmit, and vice versa.

Problem #2: The computer has to be setup to pass the XBox traffic through to the wireless card. Depending on your version of Windows, this can range from impossible to near-trivial.

4. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Yes you can do this. You will need to bridge the two cards on your PC in order for the XBox to use the wireless connection on the PC. You can read up on it in this thread. This way really isn't recommended though. You would be much better off grabbing a WET11 or a WRT54G+sveasoft firmware and setting them up to bridge the wireless connection. Either would allow you to hook up multiple network devices seamlessly.

5. SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    When you get your X-Box running, let me know, I'll kick your butt at some Madden :D

6. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Do you use XBConnect or XBox Live?

7. SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    XBox Live. Never heard of XBConnect

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.