1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Nintendo CRUSHING PSP into oblivion

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by Jack White, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack White

Jack White Icon

Sep 17, 2002
    This was the BIGGEST mistake sony's made in a long time.
    I've been a gamer for a long time, and I've seen the mighty 800 lbs Nintendo Gorilla known as Gameboy beat tons of portable systems like Atari Lynx, Turbo Express Portable, Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket, Sega Nomad, etc to a bloody pulp over the decades. Now Sony was actually stupid enough to actually believe that it could defeat the most dominant videogame system in the history of the planet. Sony is finding out that the portable market is a whole new ballgame. This is not the console market where Nintendo only dominated for 1 geneartion. This is the portable market where Nintendo savages its opponents the way the toughest guys in the UFC can only imagine. Nintendo has maintainted mindboggling marketshare ever since the invention of the portable videogame system market. North America is the most dominant market for sony, yet even in North America, in November, the Gameboy Advance SP crushed the PSP with nearly 1 million units sold vs 360 t PSPs sold, and even the Dual Screen defeated the PSP on Sony's turf(North America) by selling over 380t Dual Screens in November. When you add the sales of the Gameboy Micro to this, you see that Nintendo's dominance over the PSP is almost mindboggling.
    Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse for the PSP, you have to realize that North America is the place where the PSP is doing THE BEST. The ass kicking Nintendo's dishing out to the PSP is FAR FAR worse in Japan and Europe than it even is in the US. Nintendo's doesn't have the balls to do it, but they should just put images of all the tombstones of the portable systems it's destroyed on the back of the Dual Screen, and they should also show an image of a a crystal ball with an image of the PSP's tombstone on it.
    Nintendo's crushing the PSP so badly in Japan, that in the most recent charts, the DS is outselling the PSP nearly 4 to 1.

R.I.P. PSP, R.I.P.

Citations

http://ds.ign.com/articles/674/674746p1.html
    http://www.the-magicbox.com/topten.htm

2. Milk_tec

Milk_tec Legend

Dec 5, 2005
    Problem is Nintendo's games blow. You have to be on acid, or 8 years old to play that. Give me madden on psp anyday.

3. kwajr

kwajr Icon

Apr 7, 2004
    Its Not Always The Better One That Wins In Fact The Better One Seems To Alwys Lose In This Market 3do Was Great Dreamcast Was As Good As Ps2 On Some Counts And Had Online Play And Atari Has Had Some Great Sytems Like Jaguar And Even The Xbox 1 Was Way Better Than Anything Out But So Yes The Psp Is Better But It Dont Mean Nothing .

4. Milk_tec

Milk_tec Legend

Dec 5, 2005
    Ever hear of a , . ? !:lol:

5. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Hey, at least he has started putting spaces in between his words. Is capitolizing the first letter of every word kind of quietly shouting?

6. Milk_tec

Milk_tec Legend

Dec 5, 2005
    See bogy, if we can get along, the dems and repubs can get along.:D

7. Ken Howe

Ken Howe Legend

Aug 9, 2005
    Rofl

8. Jack White

Jack White Icon

Sep 17, 2002
    I guess that must mean that like 75 or 80% of the people who are buying handheld video game systems during this holiday season are either on acid or are 8 years old :)

9. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    BETA or VHS

10. Milk_tec

Milk_tec Legend

Dec 5, 2005
    Rack that! Also, you can hack the PSP!!

11. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    8track or cassette?

12. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    What about price comparison too? The PSP is pretty expensive for what it is... and you have to buy games and movies all over again as that's the only thing you can use it for... so even if you are a stout PS2 supporter, if you are in the market for a portable game, it seems more likely you would want to spend less money on your portable and perhaps get some different games than what you have at home.

I think the 2 biggest problems with the PSP are:

1. Price (too high)
    2. Unique interface for movies/games, so if you want Madden on your PS2 and PSP you have to buy it twice, same for movies.

13. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    TRS-80 or Apple ][ ?

14. Ric

Ric Godfather DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 26, 2002
    I would say it's because:
    1) Adults don;t use handhelds - primarily console players so handhelds are pretty much in the kids realm. When is the last time you saw an adult playing Madden at the grocery store, then when was the last time you saw a kid?
    2) As HDMe said, its all about the reuse. I buy Nintendo for my kids simply because all games are backwards compatible.

15. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Add to Ric's analysis the fact that Sony was VERY slow in coming out with games that are really worth playing. That was a huge mistake. Also, the controls on the PSP can lead to real hand fatigue (carpal tunnel-like symptoms) when playing action games.

16. waydwolf

waydwolf Icon

Feb 2, 2003
    Pong

17. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    78 or 45 rpm?

18. airpolgas

airpolgas Godfather

Aug 12, 2002
    Misses:

UMD Movies for the same price, although some are way more expensive, compared the the DVD.

House of Flying Daggers @ Amazon
    DVD = $12.99
    UMD = $25.99

What moron came up with that scheme?

Another thing that Sony is trying to fight is the homebrew market. If they just encourage that, then the consumer will mostly be getting the most from the unit. Imagine if they allow 3rd parties to make software for it, like the Symbian OS. That would open up a whole slew of income generating projects, and will not limit the PSP for games and movies.

--

Currently playing Ridge Racer on in...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.