1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Audio from HDMI?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rgn2000, Jul 12, 2010.

1. rgn2000

rgn2000 New Member

Jul 12, 2010
    I have and HR22 and my receiver does not have HDMI inputs so I have to hook the HDMI to the TV and then use the digital audio out of my TV (Panasonic Plasma). For some reason I get no sound whatsoever on my receiver but I do on the TV. I know the Digital Audio output on the TV works because for OTA channels the digital audio goes to my receiver no problem. If I use the optical audio to my reciever it does work.

I have an H20 in another room and with that one the digital audio out from that TV does send audio (and digital audio) to the receiver in that room. That is an older Philips TV.

So what gives? What am I missing.

Thanks

2. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    You should have it connected in the following manner:

HR22 -> HDMI -> TV
    HR22 -> Digital Audio -> Receiver

Your Digital Audio output from your TV may only work with your RF (antenna) input.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Totally AGREE.

My Samsung LCD says that if I run the Optical Out from the TV to the AV receiver with the HDMI feeding the TV that it will only output 2 channel stereo.

It will Output the Digital if the signal is coming Off the Air Antenna. Weird !

It appears each manufacturer does it different.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    +1 Never use the tv as pass-through to your audio system....

5. rgn2000

rgn2000 New Member

Jul 12, 2010
    What is the sense of having HDMI? HDMI was supposed to simplify, but apparantly it doesn't I don't want to get a new receiver now because now HDBastT is coming which will be all cat5e/cat6 as HDMI is done moving forward anyways.

6. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    You're almost certain to be disappointed if you wait for new technology to take hold. Most improvements in home electronics fail to find a market.

We'll see about a replacement for HDMI. The manufacturers and studios have made a major commitment to it. I'm no big fan but I wouldn't bet against it.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    HDMI does simplify greatly, if everything is HDMI. What we're saying is to not run audio/video up to your TV, then audio back to your receiver. Take HDMI up to the TV for video, and run a cable from the audio port on the DVR to the receiver (and set the receiver up to use that audio port for that source.)

If the receiver were HDMI, you could have one HDMI cable going to the receiver, then one to the TV. I've got my wii, PS3 and DVR connected to my receiver, and one HDMI cable to the TV for all that.

I don't know when the Ethernet stuff will really come into play, but unless you got a new TV you'd still have to do HDMI.

I just got my HDMI receiver a few months ago to replace my non HDMI receiver. If you have a Blu-Ray player or anything, a current model receiver is highly recommended.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The one thing I really see as a benefit to using Ethernet is being a standard cable (though Monster's marketing department is surely working on how their $100 6' Ethernet cable is better than a standard one), and the plug. Something that clips into the jack would be nice.

9. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Well, HDMI does simplify the process if each piece of equipment in the chain is capable. This isn't a big deal though. Just hook it up the way I suggested and you're all set.

10. bigbrother52

bigbrother52 AllStar

Jan 19, 2008

"Why do we believe HDBaseT is more than just a simple new spec that shouldn't be taken with more than a grain of salt? Simple. They founded the group with heavyweights like LG, Samsung, Valens Semiconductor and Sony Pictures and installed members from each company as their board of directors. Next, they waited to announce and promote the new incorporation until the HDBaseT 1.0 specification was finished. That's right, the 1.0 spec is COMPLETED, not just announced as some vague vaporware never to be finished.

There is also silicon for it RIGHT NOW and the first products to support it are hitting the market. Last year we covered Gefen's HDMI v1.3 CAT-5/6 ELR Future Proof Extender which used HDBaseT to send HD video, audio, networking, IR and more over a single Ethernet cable.

The development of this cohesive specification is nothing short of mind-blowing. As we've mentioned in other articles dealing with the failings of HDMI, HDBaseT is exactly what the industry needs - a unified and simplified protocol, not a new cable."

http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/hdmi-dead-hdbaset

The companies involved estimate that the majority of adoption will happen in 2011.
    HDMI is Dead!

11. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Have you checked the Setup menu on your TV.

Menu->Setup->Connected Devices->Audio Out

I have a Panasonic Plasma and I had to set the Audio Out for each input.

BTW, Welcome to DBSTalk rgn2000. :welcome_s

Mike

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Unless I'm missing something, HDMI isn't dead until the majority of people upgrade their components. Most are unlikely to replace their PS3s or 360s any time soon, I'm certainly not upgrading my TV for this or 3D.

Though, I may just wait for this to become standard and get a TV with it, as long as it also has at least one HDMI port.

I also find it interesting that it says Sony Pictures is a member. Not the TV or console making divisions.

13. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    bigbrother52, it's a hell of a lot easier to write a "HDMI is dead" article on the Internet than it is to get the electronics industry to act en masse. And I'll record that statement on my DAT recorder, or should I use my Elcaset, Digital Compact Cassette, or my Betamax?

And that the fact all these people are part of the design group? Do you know Sony was part of the HD DVD group? They join so that they can have a say in the standards, not that they are planning to adopt them.

I will be the first to applaud if HDMI goes the way of the dodo. But I'd still bet more money on the Cubs going to the World Series in 2011 than HDMI going away any time soon.

14. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Most HDTVs behave in exactly this manner: No DD 5.1 pass through to optical out, with an HDMI input. DD 2.0 only is output over the Optical Output of the HDTV.

I'm not saying every TV is like this, but from my experience, the vast majority are. Mine works just as you indicated, Using the internal TV tuner results in DD 5.1 out the optical connection (if the TV station is sending it).

15. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Excellent advise, that!

I did run the optical out from my Sammy to my Onkyo, however, so I could have NetFlix (built into the Sammy) audio go to the amp. Of course, this also means, if I want to run the TV's internal tuner derived signal as well, I can get DD 5.1 from the TV station. I don't do this much (except for NetFlix), as I have an HDMI switching amp, with also a 5x1 HDMI switch. All my home theater audio goes through the Onkyo via HDMI.

Once nice side note, my Sammy has a line level out 1/8" mini stereo connector on the back that I connect to a 4x1 audio switch that drives my RF remote headphones. I can switch all the following to go to my remote headphones:

1. HR20-700
    2. HR21-200
    3. Samsung Blu-Ray
    4. TV internal Tuner (for Netflix).

This may seem silly, but when I'm outside in the evening enjoying a cup of coffee and cigar, I can listen via the 'phones and watch through the window. Even at 20', a 60" Sammy LED/LCD is quite watchable.:)

16. bigbrother52

bigbrother52 AllStar

Jan 19, 2008
    I'm still waiting for an HDMI 1.4 upgrade for my SSP, so I hear what you're saying. I'll no doubt buy this thing even with HDBaseT processors hitting the market at around the same time.
    But, given a choice between the same two SSP's, one with HDMI and one with HDBaseT, I think there is little doubt which one everyone would buy, right down to the last man.

Yes, HDMI is still with us and will be for the next decade or so since we all have these spiffy new TV's and stuff. I still believe that with HDBaseT looming on the horizon, it's fairly safe to say, for all intents and purposes, HDMI as a connection standard is dead and buried already.
    I'd rather not believe that my brand new SSP, that isn't available and I don't even own yet is obsolete, but I'm afraid with a great new technology like HDBaseT becoming available as we speak, that is exactly what we'll be seeing happen.

For us that already spent alot of money, we can find more reasons then I care to count to resist this new change but unfortunetly, there appears to be even more reasons then that to accept the change.
    I really hate it when something is that friggin cool :D