1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Audio on MPEG4 w/Dolby Digital

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cwills, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwills

cwills Cool Member

Mar 28, 2007
    I just had my hr20-750 installed today and I'm not getting any sound on all of MPEG4 channels when the Dolby Digital audio option is selected. I'm running optical cable to my receiver which works fine for all of the MPEG2 stations including HD channels which correctly output dolby digital. Am I missing something here? When I turn off Dolby Digital the sound returns to all channels.

Thanks for the help.

-Chris

2. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    I will assume you are turning DD off/on on the audio amp.

Go into the menu => Audio Option => Edit Settings
    Go to the Digital Dolby tab, verify it is set to on.

3. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    According to the original post, DD works on MPEG-2 channels, so I don't think that can be it. Of course, I have no other suggestions.

4. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    I agree, it probably isn't this.

Verify the DD seting. Then list your audio equipment and the DD settings avaliable on the audio equipment.

5. cwills

cwills Cool Member

Mar 28, 2007
    I have audio set to Dolby Digital. My receiver is an Integra DTR-9.1.

When I go to DiscoveryHD the receiver correctly displays Dolby Digital. If I switch to an SD MPEG2 channel it shows PLII Movie which is correct. If I go to an MPEG4 channel it still shows PLII Movie and it doesn't play any audio. I hope this helps.

6. cwills

cwills Cool Member

Mar 28, 2007
    This morning I checked my MPEG4 recording of Lost to see if it played in Dolby Digital since it is broadcast in this format and still no sound. It doesn't seem to matter if the program outputs Dolby Digital or any other format. I get the same result...no sound.

7. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Hit the YELLOW button, to mke sure it is not on the "silent" 2nd audio track that appears on most of the MPEG-4 broadcasts.

8. lbacker52

lbacker52 Mentor

Jan 13, 2007
    What is that? I recorded Jericho last night and it played the sound effects and music but no voice audio.Anyone else see this?

9. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    If it played sound effects... and music.
    Then your center channel wasn't working.

That can either be: Encoding issue by the network (it does happen).
    Or your center channel on your amp is not working correctly

(most likely it was the affiliate/network that had a sound encoding issue)

10. lbacker52

lbacker52 Mentor

Jan 13, 2007
    I think it was encoding issue because every other recording seemed ok with that problem. Thanks!

11. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I've had my locals swap the front and rear channels before :nono2:

12. cwills

cwills Cool Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Thanks Earl, I'll check this out when I get home.

What I'm wondering is if this 2nd "silent" audio track shows up in the audio menu. I originally thought there might be a different track but when I went into the audio menu it only showed English DD.

13. cwills

cwills Cool Member

Mar 28, 2007
    I tried Earl's suggestion of hitting the Yellow button but it still isn't working. I can see the blue light on the left of the HR20 flash when I press the yellow button but it doesn't fix my sound problem. The HR20 updated this morning to the latest software version.

Does anyone know where the potential problem may be. Should I get a new HR20 from DirecTV or could this be a problem with the new slim dish that was installed at the same time? I love to narrow this down.

14. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    I'm in the Raleigh area and had the same problem......NOT HAPPY! It was off for the entire first 1/2 of the show. At the 28minute mark I got sound. I ended up waiting till it was on the CBS website, watched the first half on the computer then the 2nd from my recorded HD broadcast.

15. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    That would be a problem with your local CBS station. They forgot to flip the switch to 5.1.

Doesn't happen as much as it used to 5 years ago but still all to common. My CBS did the same thing just a couple weeks ago during CSI:NY. No sound at all. Sound just fine on the local news after it.

16. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005

It wouldn't be a problem with the slim dish... as that just receives the signal.

It is very odd... that if you are pushing out the DD signal... you are getting everything BUT the center channel. The only other thing I could think of...
    Check your stereo... and make sure the center channel is working, and the volume for that channel is not too low (That you can't here it).

To me that sounds more like an econding issue... but there isn't a rash of posts about it.

If those don't work... the only other suggestions, would be to bring the unit to a friends house and try it there... or have a service call scheduled.

17. cwills

cwills Cool Member

Mar 28, 2007
    I'm actually not getting any sound at all. Nothing in the center channel or any of the other 4 speakers when Dolby Digital is selected and I'm on one of the mpeg4 channels (4,5,7,25, and 623 in Boston area). Unfortunately, I don't have anyone nearby to test this box on so I guess I'll be calling DirecTV this weekend.

Is anyone in the Boston area having a problem with sound when using optical out and Dolby Digital on mpeg4 channels?

18. cwills

cwills Cool Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Not sure if this is true but according to Directv this is normal in the Boston area. Apparently the locals aren't broadcast in Dolby Digital and won't be until the new satellites are launched.

If anyone in the Boston area is receiving sound on the HD locals (4,5,7,25, and 623) when using an optical cable please let me know.

19. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Interesting. I know there are video problems with the Boston locals but I haven't seen any posts about DD. I would think that the DirecTV CSR didn't know what he/she was talking about there.

A good place to check on your locals in general would be the AVS forum thread for Boston. You can find out for sure if they are DD there. See the links in my sig.

Oh, have you tried OTA? Then you don't need to deal with the MPEG4 at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.