1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No. California Storm

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by chris0, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 4, 2008 #1 of 34
    chris0

chris0 Godfather

Jun 25, 2007
    This storm is wreaking havoc with my DirecTV reception. Crazy rain and level 1 hurricane force winds in some places. I've got to say "Kudos" to the installer who put up my 5 lnb dish earlier in the year just for the fact that it's still there. I heard on the news that a roof blew off of a house somewhere in Marin.

Locals seems to be coming in better than the rest. So far the only channel I've found that hasn't had any dropouts is The Travel Channel.

How is everyone else in No. Cal. faring? Anyone's dish blow off?

2. Jan 4, 2008 #2 of 34
    hiker

hiker Icon

Mar 1, 2006
    I've only lost signal once for a few minutes so far. The Slimline dish is a big improvement over my old 3 LNB dish for resistance to rain fade.

3. Jan 4, 2008 #3 of 34
    Karen

Karen Godfather

Oct 4, 2007
    All of the major digital channels in Sacramento were down earlier this morning. Right now, I'm pulling in KCRA channel 3 in glorious HD with no pixelation. Most of he others are still missing. It is a local station problem. I'm not able to get them over the air either.

I had major pixelation problem with UHD earlier, but it's coming in just fine right now. Whew!

4. Jan 4, 2008 #4 of 34
    cody21

cody21 Icon

Sep 26, 2007
    I'm having pretty good luck so far ... Only lost the DirectTV receiver once - it rebooted and came right back. The MPEG4 Locals were a bit on and off this morning for a while (Searching for Signal) but weren't missing for long. Given the hurricane nature of this storm, I'm not too disappointed. It's POURING and very DARK right now, and the receiver/reception is stable == no pixellation whatsoever.

5. Jan 4, 2008 #5 of 34
    sjaroslo

sjaroslo Cool Member

Oct 10, 2007
    In Santa Clara this morning "Good Morning America" on ABC 7 was going to black a little more frequently than I would have liked! The audio would come back very "digitized" just before the picture came back, too. I actually checked my signal strengths to make sure I was OK and everything looked to be well above 85%, but I honestly don't know which transponder and channel that equates to....

6. Jan 4, 2008 #6 of 34
    turbo_oasis

turbo_oasis Legend

Jan 4, 2007
    I live in Reno and we are having some mad cow winds and rain and I have only had issues with my OTA antenna, my at9 is kicking but and holding stong.

7. Jan 5, 2008 #7 of 34
    Bike Effects

Bike Effects AllStar

Sep 30, 2006
    My antenna is holding admirably during this storm. No problems here in Napa.

8. Jan 5, 2008 #8 of 34
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I have a DirecTV tech coming over on the 18th to repoint my triple LNB dish. The signal levels are barely acceptable now on the 101

1 - 55/56 5-56/54 09-55/54 13-57/54 17-57/55 21-54/54 25-55/54 29-58/58
    2 - 66/67 6-82/82 10-72/69 14-85/83 18-00/00 22-86/83 26-00/00 30-84/84
    3 - 55/54 7-55/55 11-52/53 15-56/53 19-55/54 23-53/53 27-60/57 31-48/49
    4 - 83/82 8-81/82 12-79/76 16-83/85 20-94/94 24-83/83 28-00/00 32-85/85

The transponders that are reporting 00/00 are probably spotbeams, but still, those are pretty low numbers.

Meanwhile a bad truck accident caught on tape.

9. Jan 5, 2008 #9 of 34
    rotohead

rotohead Legend

Nov 28, 2007
    Reno, NV
    At 6200 ft elevation outside of Reno, NV my Slimline dish outfitted with a "Hot Shot" dish warmer worked great once I got some power from Sierra Pacific but I was very impressed with the Slimline dish compared to the 3 lnb dish for it's tolerance for still working with a load of snow accumulation. The dish was completely covered in two feet of snow and it still worked. Outstanding. The dish warmer makes quick work of that once it has power.

10. sailermon

sailermon Legend

Oct 17, 2007
    Northern...
    Hi neighbor...

I am in the Sierra Nevada and I too have noticed better reception from the Slimline 5 LNB over the 3 LNB I recently replaced. It also has the two braces that help it withstand the 50-60 MPH winds we had yesterday!

I am interested in the "Hot Shot" dish warmer you mentioned. Can you give me some info or a link so I can check it out?

Thanks

11. SF_Wolverine

SF_Wolverine New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    I have my slimline on my flat roof attached to a non penetrating mount with only 4 cinder blocks holding it down. I stayed home from work to keep an eye on it. Not only did it stay put, but I never even lost the signal. I was amazed and quite releaved.

12. rotohead

rotohead Legend

Nov 28, 2007
    Reno, NV
    Yes, life in the Sierras is always interesting.
    I got my Hot Shot from here...

http://www.montanasatellitesupply.com/

The Hot Shot is alittle pricey and I bought the 'arm extention' which I would advise. I also think the the lesser priced units would probably work too. The guy at Montana Supply name is Tom and the service is alittle slow but it's the only place I found online to get one. The heating element should be installed on the face of the dish in 50 degrees or warmer so I used (or more correctly had my handiman) use a hair dryer to warm the dish and element. Good luck...dish warmers are well worth it in locations like ours.

13. davez

davez AllStar

Nov 19, 2005
    Wisconsin
    The wind was so strong around my house (I live in the foothills just outside of Sacramento) that it broke one of the bolts anchoring my dish to the house. I have no signal at all. It's in a place where I can't reach it so I'll have to wait for my appointment on Tuesday to get it fixed and realigned. Oh well, life happens.:)

14. rotohead

rotohead Legend

Nov 28, 2007
    Reno, NV
    and now @ 3pm it has been snowing hard for over an hour and by the looks of it it's going to continue for awhile. I'm glad I have a basic cable QAM backup for NFL football this weekend just in case. The power company is struggling around here. LOT'S of power spikes/surges and multiple reboots of HR21. Of course I would prefer my Directv service but I'm unplugging it and use my cheap LG stb on cable. Spikes are ugly too. Multiple pulses before stabilizing. I'm in the process of installing power protection in very tight quarters. I Got plenty of beer...genius. Hunker down...

15. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The roof was pulled off by the excessive wind pressure on that 5 LNB dish. :p

16. turbo_oasis

turbo_oasis Legend

Jan 4, 2007
    I live in the Marina area and I have had no issues with power or my dish nor have I had issues with my OTA (except for KOLO8 and FOX11 last night)...but KOLO8 sucks hard core any way

17. JPrather

JPrather New Member

Mar 17, 2007
    My signal died completely, upon inspection, one of the bolts holding the dish to the house had broken the wet wood. I jiggled the dish a little and my signal came back. In the process of resetting everything, I am missing alot of HD channels from my program guide. I am assuming this is because it can take awhile to reacquire correct data.

18. javadog

javadog Cool Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Here in Sacramento we had 68mph winds that came through the back of our area, taking down fences and trees.

power was out from Friday till present out in the Monte Rio area at the mouth of the Russian River..parents live out there and they are still off on all services.

Satellite service is still off (DTV, as is cable throughout most of this area)..

anyone know where i can just find a web update that will tell me what expected repair times are? i feel silly calling the 1-800 number, knowing its area-wide, to have to hold for 40 min to be told what i want to know if i could just browse for 2 minutes.

thanks, hope those of you out there that weathered this storm are cleaning up ok. i run out and support a fence panel here, lock down garden stuff there...., it is nice to see a bit of sun right now.....

19. Littledude

Littledude Legend

Aug 28, 2006
    I wish I could tell you. I have been without power since Friday morning. Sunday night here in Sac and no end in sight. SMUD claims they are working around the clock, but we will see. Freaking cold out here...............

20. premio

premio Godfather

Sep 26, 2006
    My EU2000i is great! Keeps the tv on. ALso, I'm glad I tightented up my 5LNB set screws, because it's still aimed exactly where I put it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.